Smoked turkey

2011etec

Me and a buddy were just talking about trying to smoke a bird in his smoker.Anybody done this ?Suggestions or recipes?I have a bird in the freezer but I'm going to keep an eye on our local wallyworld which last year put out a bunch of big birds for 5 bucks each!

I've done a couple! Absolutely great way to cook turkey. I would recommend that you either cut the bird into smaller pieces or just go whole with a small bird of 14 pounds or less . Large birds are not very safe for smoking as the lower temperatures we smoke at are risky !! That being said I have a 12 pounder in the freezer waiting for some rub and smoke!!

I have a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. The first turkey I smoked was this past Thanksgiving. It turned out incredible!!! The bird was 12-1/2lbs. It took 6-1/2hrs. at 225 degrees. To prep., I put the whole bird in a warm water bath for 15min. The bath evens out the temperature of the meat, so you won't have any cold/ice in the meat, (for an even smoke/cook). Then I patted the bird down with towels tor dry it off. I coated the bird with canola oil, seasoned the outside, and cavity. Then I used an injector, and shot the bird up with a Cajun Butter Marinade. My smoker is designed so you can add wood chips, (I used Cherry and Hickory), without opening the door, losing heat. I was a little nervous about smoking a turkey, (First timer). but again, the results were incredible. Here were the results.
turkey.jpg

Last edited:
Hey
I use a brine when smoking turkey. "Cookshack smokin okie turkey brine" you can use any one of your choice. My sister uses Alton Browns.
I usually cook a 12 to 14 lb. Bird. Eric

Is it necessary to "smoke" the turkey the whole time, or just for say a couple hours to impart the smoke then into the oven for final cooking?
I've used this method for ribs and pork butt.

After about 4 hours, the meat will have taken on as much smoke as I want - any more and it becomes acrid. The rest of the cook is all about getting to the target temp and tenderness.

Plus, I can save fuel on the smoker by loading it up with just enough to get to the 4 hour mark. Plus less fussing/watching the pit temp.

I've done full cooks on my smoker and the smoker/oven combo and to be honest the results are about the same.

Back
Top Bottom