Smokers - Charcoal, gas, electric, etc. HELP!

So I've limited it down to 3. I'm still insanely intrigued by the PK Grill, I'm not sure if it's the nostalgic look, or the fact that it's American made with parts that will outlast me and perhaps my son who I would hand it down to eventually... either way there's something about it that I really like. However, with it's shape and somewhat smaller size you're limited a bit in the sizes of meat you can cook if using as a smoker/indirect cooker. Although I've seen some "larger" cuts being done on this I'm still a little worried about having enough space as with my Weber 22 I typically smoke multiple meats at a time, 2 racks of ribs + sausage link and/or chicken wings.

As noted above, I currently have a Weber 22". So my second option is a Weber 26" with Slow 'N Sear XL. However, thinking about it now. I do wonder just how much space is left inside the Weber with the SNS installed. Looking at photos it seems you can still get a reasonably long piece of meat into the pit, but obviously the circular design tapers off the available room quite fast. So there's that to consider.

And lastly, if I'm to go with a dedicated machine, the Grilla Grills Silverbac is what I've decided to be best for me. The Silverbac is a pellet smoker which is said to have unusually high quality parts throughout it's construction and while it's a bit new to the market, what I've read and seen in the videos is that it compares well to the likes of REC TEC and other high end smokers and at such an attractive price. The Silverbac has a clear advantage over the two above options in that it offers much more cooking space to actually do possibly 2 briskets at a time, or a few racks of ribs which would do very well for multiple meats simultaneously like I like to do. The only downside I see about this one is the limited temp to 500F. I do see they sell actual grill grates for this smoker though, so when you want to sear a steak, you install the grill grates which limits the amount of grilling area inside smoker and concentrates it's heat on just a certain portion, allowing you to see higher than 500F at the grates. This is very helpful, however as some of you know, when using pellets the higher the temp, the less smoke is present.

So there it is, hours of digging. Hours of watching videos and reading. What are you guys' thoughts on the 3?

Just to cause you more torment....:p

What about a 22.5" WSM that can double as a 'true' smoker and a grill?

I have the 18"WSM and when I want to grill, I break it down by removing the center barrel section and put the top grate right on top of the fuel ring.

I can get meat seared fast as the temp is f'in HOT with the grate that close to the coals.

Here's a shot of some NY Strips I did on my WSM set up as a grill - inside a perfect medium rare:
5-8-16-NY-steaks-after.jpg

Sometimes I do wish I had gone with the 22.5", but with my boys now both away to college, the 18.5" is perfect.

Just to cause you more torment....:p

What about a 22.5" WSM that can double as a 'true' smoker and a grill?

I have the 18"WSM and when I want to grill, I break it down by removing the center barrel section and put the top grate right on top of the fuel ring.

I can get meat seared fast as the temp is f'in HOT with the grate that close to the coals.

Here's a shot of some NY Strips I did on my WSM set up as a grill - inside a perfect medium rare:
5-8-16-NY-steaks-after.jpg

Sometimes I do wish I had gone with the 22.5", but with my boys now both away to college, the 18.5" is perfect.

Nice!

-Dave

Advice is so tricky because it can only be based on our past experience which in most cases didn't include everything. So here is my 2 cents. The best gas grill I have owned is a Broilmaster P3, I have done everything on it but even though it was their biggest it still wasn't big enough to get the meat far enough away from the heat source to avoid having to keep rotating the brisket or butt to avoid a over done side. I tried several mods to it, including charcoal way off to one side. I now use it for brats,bugers, steaks, and some chicken, and some tri-tips.

Last summer I bought the 26" Weber, I thought the 22" would pose the same issues with the heat being too close. Since then I have made ribs (6 racks at a time), brisket, port butt (2 at a time), tri-tip (3 at a time) all of these numerous times. I know of no perfect solutions but for the $300 budget or so this is very workable. They all will need baby-sitting to some degree, but since the arrival of your new son you are a expert at that. Set aside $100 or so and get a 2 channel wireless temp monitor and it will make watching your son and the brisket a lot less stressful. Please do this last hing no matter what you buy- you will never regret it.

I get 8-10 hours of 250 degree heat without adding charcoal. I just pile it around the outside edge about 3/4 the way around- light one end and let it creep on it's own. I put a "small" (1'x2")piece of apple or oak or hickory every 4-5 '' for the smoke. Less smoke is better- believe me!

The pork butt goes on in the morning- come over about 6:00 pm and try some. Can't wait to see that little boy! What a wonderful gift!

I use a Slow 'N' Sear with my 22" Weber Kettle. It's a fantastic product that works as advertised. I've done a few 10 + hour cooks at 225-250 degree cooks with excellent results. I only need to make 5, or 6 minor vent adjustments during the cook. I also use 4 binder clips to help with the seal of the lid. This is a a pork butt I cooked using the Slow 'N' Sear:
6_4_16PorkButt-ed.jpg

6_4_16PulledPork2.JPG

-Dave

My buddy and I haven't a clue what we're doing. We've ruined a lot of meat trying to smoke. He finally bought an electric one. Man is it easy. We've been smoking wings, drums, brisket, porkloin… its all been super easy and yummy.

We do vinyl while the smokers running. Perfect way to do it. I especially like the part where he gets it all ready and starts it and then I show up, listen to records and then eat

Advice is so tricky because it can only be based on our past experience which in most cases didn't include everything. So here is my 2 cents. The best gas grill I have owned is a Broilmaster P3, I have done everything on it but even though it was their biggest it still wasn't big enough to get the meat far enough away from the heat source to avoid having to keep rotating the brisket or butt to avoid a over done side. I tried several mods to it, including charcoal way off to one side. I now use it for brats,bugers, steaks, and some chicken, and some tri-tips.

Last summer I bought the 26" Weber, I thought the 22" would pose the same issues with the heat being too close. Since then I have made ribs (6 racks at a time), brisket, port butt (2 at a time), tri-tip (3 at a time) all of these numerous times. I know of no perfect solutions but for the $300 budget or so this is very workable. They all will need baby-sitting to some degree, but since the arrival of your new son you are a expert at that. Set aside $100 or so and get a 2 channel wireless temp monitor and it will make watching your son and the brisket a lot less stressful. Please do this last hing no matter what you buy- you will never regret it.

I get 8-10 hours of 250 degree heat without adding charcoal. I just pile it around the outside edge about 3/4 the way around- light one end and let it creep on it's own. I put a "small" (1'x2")piece of apple or oak or hickory every 4-5 '' for the smoke. Less smoke is better- believe me!

The pork butt goes on in the morning- come over about 6:00 pm and try some. Can't wait to see that little boy! What a wonderful gift!

I will be getting a Slow N Sear for my Weber 22 within the next few months and possibly a 26 for hosting. Thanks for the advice and I'm really surprised you get 8-10hrs. That's awesome.

And for those who might be interested, here is my pride and joy. IMG_8452.JPG

For years I've been using one of those smoker trays to add smoke on my Propane grill.
Problem is you need to have the tray over the flame and if the heat's too low there's no smoke, too high and it catches fire, plus it takes up room on the grill.
Adding more wood chips was a total pain, having to move the grates, remove the cover, add more chips and put everything back.
Last year I ran across this, decided to give it a try, and bought the smaller one along with a BIG bag of hickory/cherry/apple pellets
https://www.amazon.com/A-MAZE-N-Pel...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N5YQ98N75CRJNG7AMWWB

Let me tell you it was worth the money. You fill the tube about 3/4 full, light the open end with a blow torch, let it burn for a bit then blow out the fire.
Place it on the grill and you have worry free smoke for 2 to 4 hours depending on which size you buy. I noticed it burns a bit faster when placed over heat probably due to the air draw.
I bought the smaller one since it's almost half the price of the 12" plus as someone suggested, buy two small ones and you can have another one ready
while the first runs down or use both for heavier smoke. I'll be getting a second one. Great for adding a bit of smoke to grilled chicken, steak and such.
Plus you can make yourself a small homemade smoker box and use it for cold smoking:rockon: Anyone else try one?

Last edited:
I have seen a crazy amount of positive reviews regarding that smoking tube. Seems like an affordable way to impart wood smoke flavor into anything. And best of all, you can cold smoke cheese with it!

My personal choice is a wood smoker, instead of charcoal smokers.
Least that way I can use real hickory or maple,cherry, or Apple wood.
Once fire is going it's gonna burn long hot an slow.

Pellets, in most cases are pure wood too. Some companies use oils and additives, however it's possible to find 100% hardwood in various species, which is what I'm using currently. As of this very moment I'm smoking a couple chicken breast and a few links of sausage to get myself familiar with the smoker. The blend includes Hickory, Cherry, Hard Maple & Apple. Cookin' Pellets only sells 2 types. The "Perfect Mix" and 100% Hickory.

Pellets, in most cases are pure wood too. Some companies use oils and additives, however it's possible to find 100% hardwood in various species, which is what I'm using currently. As of this very moment I'm smoking a couple chicken breast and a few links of sausage to get myself familiar with the smoker. The blend includes Hickory, Cherry, Hard Maple & Apple. Cookin' Pellets only sells 2 types. The "Perfect Mix" and 100% Hickory.

I'm currently smoking using an old hickory axe handle and some seasoned crepe myrtle from last winter's pruning! :)

Back
Top Bottom