Smokers - Charcoal, gas, electric, etc. HELP!

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/reg...galvanized-legs-and-undershelf/600T1824G.html

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/bac...-with-roll-dome-and-cover/554C3H830DELLP.html

Got these on the way. Ordered Sunday. Should have them by Friday, by freight. Sold my Weber Spirit 310 and will go with out a gas grill for a week. Will give a review after I get them. 14 gauge 304 stainless for the grill. Also purchased a Lodge 20 x 10.5 reversible griddle to go on it for shrimp, fish and blackening steaks. It has been curing in my oven for a week. Hopefully the last gas grill I ever buy. Going to test it to see how low it will go with 1 and 2 burners and how high it will go with 4.

After doing a Google search, some one is selling this same grill on Amazon and ebay for $3022, free shipping. He is probably getting them from here.

Last edited:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/reg...galvanized-legs-and-undershelf/600T1824G.html

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/bac...-with-roll-dome-and-cover/554C3H830DELLP.html

Got these on the way. Ordered Sunday. Should have them by Friday, by freight. Sold my Weber Spirit 310 and will go with out a gas grill for a week. Will give a review after I get them. 14 gauge 304 stainless for the grill. Also purchased a Lodge 20 x 10.5 reversible griddle to go on it for shrimp, fish and blackening steaks. It has been curing in my oven for a week. Hopefully the last gas grill I ever buy. Going to test it to see how low it will go with 1 and 2 burners and how high it will go with 4.

After doing a Google search, some one is selling this same grill on Amazon and ebay for $3022, free shipping. He is probably getting them from here.

That is some serious hardware. Can't wait to see some pictures of the food you prepare on it.

-Dave

They just informed me yesterday that the SS table is back ordered. Shipment will not be till the 23rd on both items. If you click the table link, it say's they are out.

Just got off line with them. They have a 24 x 24 table that is in stock for the same price. I had them change my table order to that. It should ship sooner now.

Last edited:
StevenZ- I said I get 8-10 hours of burn time with my Weber 26", that's even almost conservative. The reason is, if you think about it, the 26" has a circumference of 80". I only stack charcoal about 2/3'rds of that, but 4' of charcoal takes quite awhile to burn when you have it running around 225 degrees. I still use my gas grill for some things but the ribs, pork butt, tri-tip and brisket always go on the Weber.

There are number of very good podcasts on this subject. There are several people on these podcast who are on the BBQ/Smoking contest circuit say that if you want consistently good smoked foods to get a computerized gas or electric smoker. The type they suggest uses wood discs that look like rice cakes and are automatically fed into the smoker from a hopper. Basically you load it with the wood you want to smoke with tell the smoker what you are going to smoke and hit a button and you come back in 12 or so hours to perfectly smoked stuff every time. Some of these smokers can be controlled and monitored from a smart phone.

There are number of very good podcasts on this subject. There are several people on these podcast who are on the BBQ/Smoking contest circuit say that if you want consistently good smoked foods to get a computerized gas or electric smoker. The type they suggest uses wood discs that look like rice cakes and are automatically fed into the smoker from a hopper. Basically you load it with the wood you want to smoke with tell the smoker what you are going to smoke and hit a button and you come back in 12 or so hours to perfectly smoked stuff every time. Some of these smokers can be controlled and monitored from a smart phone.

I actually look forward the day of smoking because for me it's also about the whole process, not just the end result. I like using a thermometer to monitor the air temp as well as the inside temp of the meat. I enjoy needing to monitor things and tweak the vents a little to get just the right temp. I enjoy knowing I can't schedule anything else that day away from home, maybe just a small project or two to fill in the gaps. I enjoy having to go to the beer gittin place the day before. I enjoy the effort, it gives me a nice sense of accomplishment when it all turns out according to the plan.
If on the other hand I were doing it as a business I would automate it as much as possible.

I actually look forward the day of smoking because for me it's also about the whole process, not just the end result. I like using a thermometer to monitor the air temp as well as the inside temp of the meat. I enjoy needing to monitor things and tweak the vents a little to get just the right temp. I enjoy knowing I can't schedule anything else that day away from home, maybe just a small project or two to fill in the gaps. I enjoy having to go to the beer gittin place the day before. I enjoy the effort, it gives me a nice sense of accomplishment when it all turns out according to the plan.
If on the other hand I were doing it as a business I would automate it as much as possible.

Yup.

And, don't forget picking out the musical soundtrack for the day!

Will it be blues, jazz, some rock, or a mash up of everything.

Well.......got my new grill put together and seasoned today. Tomorrow, I'm gonna bust it's cherry, with a pair of Fi let mig nam's. Then Monday Jerk chicken marinating now.

My gas grill has been on it's last leg for a few years now and I've re-patched it quite a few times.
This winter I didn't even bother to put it away. I've got a large charcoal grill and an electric smoker but would still like to use a gas grill once in a while.
Anyway I ran across this recently: http://www.hayneedle.com/product/sm...opane-gas-tabletop-grill-with-side-tables.cfm
It's a portable but still large enough for home use. What really has me sold on it is the built in smoker tray with it's own burner.:banana::banana::banana:
It's a brilliant idea, I think, and something I've always wished my gas grill had. Has anyone here checked these out yet?

Well I pulled the trigger yesterday and bought a pellet pooper. My new Grilla Grills Silverbac should be on its way soon. Can't wait!
StevenZ, hope we haven't gone too far off the track. Have you tried the Grilla yet?
BTW I noticed it's an electric unit. Do the pellets provide the heat or are they for smoke only?
And for those who might be interested, here is my pride and joy. View attachment 869332
Time flies so Enjoy! It seems my kids were that age yesterday and my daughter's already in College.

IMG_0605.JPG IMG_0606.JPG IMG_0608.JPG
Love my new grill. Already cooked steaks and Jerk chicken on it. Today will be burgers. The 24"x 24" SS table worked out great. I could have bought a 14 x 23 inch side shelf made for the grill, including shipping for $150, or get this table for $100 including shipping. Plus I have it located where I can use it with my smoker and charcoal Weber. Going to cook some Spam on it next Wed. All of us at the bar have been watching these great looking Spam commercials that have been on lately. But none have eaten any in many years. So I got a couple cans. Going to lightly cover it with BBQ sauce and cut into bite size pieces. Then we will see how it goes with beer.

OK back to the grill. It's 304, 14 gauge SS. Cooking area is 28 x 21. I will only use the first two burners most of the time as I did with my old gas grill. For burgers, steaks and boneless chicken breast. Then I will use the Lodge for fish, shrimp and blackening. I will remove the Lodge for when I do indirect cooking. It also came with a grill cover that was the wrong size, lucky for me. They sent the 60 inch cover instead of the 30 incher. The 60 incher covers both the table and the grill. This grill should be around after I'm gone. Oh, by the way, the table makes a great tank holder too. The top of the table fits right over the top of the grill handle. No need for the tank hanger now. I hang my tank scales on it. This thing was easy to put together too. One person can do it. Almost took longer to unpack it. I also put some high temp insulation stripping where the top and grill meet.

Thanks for the link to the table. I just ordered the 18" X 30" model. It's going to replace a pretty shaky plastic tray table I've been using.

-Dave

@StevenZ, I hope that you are enjoying your new smoker. Please, let us know how it's working out when you get a chance.

-Dave

If you have any money left in the budget I'd suggest a 2 channel wireless thermometer so you can monitor air temp and meat temp simultaneously. It'll be the best thing you ever buy apart from your new grill. Mine is not wireless and it can only monitor one thing at a time. I have to unplug one and plug in the other. I would even like to do 3 because yesterday I did a pork roast and a whole turkey breast at the same time. It would have been really really nice to know all three temps. at the same time. It is so nice not to have to open the grill to test temps. I also use it in the house when roasting in the oven.

You
Thanks for the link to the table. I just ordered the 18" X 30" model. It's going to replace a pretty shaky plastic tray table I've been using.

-Dave
You're welcome. Go to the search at the top and type in work table. You will see a large option of SS work tables of many sizes.

IMG_0621.JPG IMG_0622.JPG

Easter BBQ. A butt and a shoulder, about 20 lb total. I guess around 15 chopped. Put on at 6:00 Sat. Coming off at 7:00 Sun morning. A surface temp of 220° and a internal temp of 198°. They are now wrapped in foil and in a small cooler till 11:00. Then they will be chopped while still very hot. Started 4 hours with skin up, then flipped.

Gorgeous!! I can almost taste it from here- I am not kidding.... The turkey and hams go on the Webber real soon here.

View attachment 910855 View attachment 910856

Easter BBQ. A butt and a shoulder, about 20 lb total. I guess around 15 chopped. Put on at 6:00 Sat. Coming off at 7:00 Sun morning. A surface temp of 220° and a internal temp of 198°. They are now wrapped in foil and in a small cooler till 11:00. Then they will be chopped while still very hot. Started 4 hours with skin up, then flipped.

Very nice!

Good to see that virgin stainless turning a familiar shade of brown. the taste will only get better as the BBQ is seasoned.

My wife cleaned a lot of the build-up on my smoker this week, she said it looked dirty! We got a good laugh when I explained it should be that way.

stubbs-liquid-smoke-hickory.jpg

Yah ... I know ... sacrilege ... <G>

Truth be told, I'm happy enough with my standard Weber kettle with big chunks of mesquite piled around the coals and the vents turned down. If I want more smoke flavor, I can always put the meat on a pizza stone for a while to slow down the cooking. The mesquite smokes nicely and will last for several sessions.

stubbs-liquid-smoke-hickory.jpg

Yah ... I know ... sacrilege ... <G>

Truth be told, I'm happy enough with my standard Weber kettle with big chunks of mesquite piled around the coals and the vents turned down. If I want more smoke flavor, I can always put the meat on a pizza stone for a while to slow down the cooking. The mesquite smokes nicely and will last for several sessions.
I have a Weber kettle also. I think I have had one most of my life. I also use a Weston smoker for when I have a bunch of ribs or chicken.

Back
Top Bottom