Smoking Akai 4000DS

Discussion in 'Tape' started by Reelly, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Reelly

Reelly New Member

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me with this.

I was listening to my Akai 4000DS and all of sudden noticed smoke coming out of it.
    After stripping it down was able to track it down to a resistor on the Power PCB.

Really not sure what to replace it with and would be grateful if anyone could let me know what they think would be suitable.
    I have attached a picture of it and in the service manual it's listed as :

Wire-wound 3WL 18(J) (L type)

Resistor.jpg

Would really like to get it back working so any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Chip Chester

Chip Chester Super Member

Have a deck, but no service manual/schematic. There will be more to fix than just that resistor, however. They don't smoke unless they're passing too much current, or way too high voltage. (Probably the former, though.)

Common name for it is wirewound power resistor; those are the productive Google search terms. If markings are still legible, the same or better wattage, same resistance, and ballpark lead spacing will do the trick. Totally-encased versions in heat-sink aluminum are viable alternatives, but mount differently and will require different lead arrangement. Ohmite and Dale are the biggies. Look for other toasty stuff in there, because reasons. (As the kids say...)

3. Reelly

Reelly New Member

I have got hold of the schematic and a replacement resistor.
    I thought I would quickly check the voltages at least, and started with the transformer.
    I took the reading across the incoming wires from the transformer on the Power PCB, and found that the voltage was twice the voltage shown on the schematic.

I presume I must have misread read it so will spend some proper time this weekend checking the voltages and then move on to the rest of the components.

4. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall Super Member

It might not hurt to look for any tantalum capacitors in the power supply. Not an Akai R2R but I too experienced an overheating wire wound resistor - three in fact. Like you were inclined to do, I did replace the burnt ones and the replacements promptly got smoked.

I shelved the deck for a time and on revisiting it, discovered a heat discoloured tantalum capacitor - totally overlooked before. For some reason, the discolouration only became noticeable to my eye in a digital photo. After replacing that tantalum with another (rated at a higher voltage) no more overheating resistors.

Maybe you are similarly blessed?