SMSL M8A DAC listed at $179.99 for 3 more days

USPS dropped mine off a little bit ago and I just got it set up.

Let me put it this way - First thing I'm trying out is the Radio Paradise app running at the lossless setting. I'm sitting here listening to Om da Moter Varg by someone called Detektivbryan. Although I have no freaking idea who that is (or even how to type it with all the proper umlauts and such) I totally do not care - it sounds awesome!

In fairness, my only frame of reference is the ancient Griffin iMic that I have used for the past decade. Everything is way crisper and cleaner with great vocals. Until now I've been a little disappointed in the bass response of the Karlson K12/University 312 speaker project that I recently finished. Not disappointed any more - bass is deep and smooth.

My system has never sounded better. Gotta stop typing and go listen to . . . EVERYTHING.:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

I did the last MassDrop. Pretty sure I don’t like it. I find myself trying to talk myself into liking it every time I listen. To my ears it sounds “over processed”. I am playing with the filters and different inputs this weekend so we shall see.

I have the M8 (non "A") with the P1 power supply - sounds awesome to my ears - Highly recommend.

Agree with minimum filters. Also just changed line stage tubes and seems to be a little better. Still needs some tweaks to be a keeper. JMHO
:beerchug:

Has anyone tried something other than the SMSL P-1 power supply with the M8? There are a number of other potential choices on eBay that look promising for significantly less coin.

Has anyone tried something other than the SMSL P-1 power supply .
I have not. But I really am not hearing any noise problems. I am just not digging the “over processed” sound that I am hearing. I don’t think a power supply would help with that. But hey, what do I know.

:beerchug:

Well, surprise! A SMSL P1 power supply showed up on the local craigslist and I snagged it. Makes a noticeable improvement. Tighter bass, more open mids, crisper treble. Just sounds better across the board.

I have a different problem, I snagged a P1 on the auction site, now waiting for a cheap M8 to show up somewhere, wonder if the M8 will improve the P1 ;)

I have a different problem, I snagged a P1 on the auction site, now waiting for a cheap M8 to show up somewhere, wonder if the M8 will improve the P1 ;)

Maybe I can send you mine. Better with Tidal Hi Fi IMO but still not there.
:)

My M8 just lost the left channel, I don't know what happened, I hook it up to a different laptop and when put back to the regular place one channel is gone. I try it with other systems and still only one channel. So the question is should I buy the M8a since I already have the P1?

Maybe I can send you mine. Better with Tidal Hi Fi IMO but still not there.
:)

Maybe. I actually got the P1 just to have a linear multi-voltage linear PSU laying around, getting a M8 was never a real plan. Also as my system improved overall I've decided I should stop wasting money on marginal DACs as this is a deadend road to take in the pursuit of a gratification.

SMSL is a stand-up company, I contacted them and told them my issue and they said to send it over and they will repair it for free, but I have to pay for shipping both ways.

gvl, where does the Parasound D/AC1000 wind up in sound quality after trying several other DAC's? I'm mainly interested in Red Book use at the moment.
Thanks

BillWojo

Back
Top Bottom