1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

SMSL M8A DAC listed at $179.99 for 3 more days

Discussion in 'DACs' started by Poultrygeist, Sep 18, 2017.

1. gvl

gvl Super Member

Next gift idea: the DarkVoice tube headphone amp for those 6XXs.

Nixxuz likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ben_

ben_ Active Member

I missed the massdrop, thinking too much and hesitating with a used Teac UD-H501 wich is still more expensive (roughly $120 more). Adding cross atlantic postage made it a not so huge deal also.

For a USB only source to listen with an integrated amp (unbalanced RCA input) would you think ? Everyone seems to agree the M8A performs well once you give it a decent powersupply, the SMSL P-1 is another €140 added, that would put them at the same costs. I was thinking the Teac may probably resale easier on the next time I will want to upgrade

3. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

I did not hear differences (SMSL-M8 w and w/o linear PS) but in a new house our power is better than some of the older houses we have lived in.

GChief likes this.
  4. rromeo

rromeo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Looks like it available on Massdrop again. Considering it.

5. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

6. GChief

GChief AK Subscriber Subscriber

Pulled the trigger

Poultrygeist likes this.

7. Chilibrother

Chilibrother AK Subscriber Subscriber

USPS dropped mine off a little bit ago and I just got it set up.

Let me put it this way - First thing I'm trying out is the Radio Paradise app running at the lossless setting. I'm sitting here listening to Om da Moter Varg by someone called Detektivbryan. Although I have no freaking idea who that is (or even how to type it with all the proper umlauts and such) I totally do not care - it sounds awesome!

In fairness, my only frame of reference is the ancient Griffin iMic that I have used for the past decade. Everything is way crisper and cleaner with great vocals. Until now I've been a little disappointed in the bass response of the Karlson K12/University 312 speaker project that I recently finished. Not disappointed any more - bass is deep and smooth.

My system has never sounded better. Gotta stop typing and go listen to . . . EVERYTHING.:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

Poultrygeist and PAGS like this.
  8. Poultrygeist

9. Poultrygeist

10. GChief

I did the last MassDrop. Pretty sure I don’t like it. I find myself trying to talk myself into liking it every time I listen. To my ears it sounds “over processed”. I am playing with the filters and different inputs this weekend so we shall see.

11. gvl

gvl Super Member

I'm sure this is not the first time I read this type of feedback about Sabre DACs.

GChief likes this.

12. eis01

eis01 Active Member

I have the M8 (non "A") with the P1 power supply - sounds awesome to my ears - Highly recommend.

13. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Well, I used the minimum filters and that helped. The others didn't do it for me.

GChief likes this.
  14. GChief

Agree with minimum filters. Also just changed line stage tubes and seems to be a little better. Still needs some tweaks to be a keeper. JMHO
    :beerchug:

15. GChief

Need to figure out how many Rum and Cocunt waters I have had, Lamb of God is sounding pretty good.

:dunno:

Nixxuz and Chilibrother like this.
  16. DaveHo

DaveHo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Has anyone tried something other than the SMSL P-1 power supply with the M8? There are a number of other potential choices on eBay that look promising for significantly less coin.

17. GChief

I have not. But I really am not hearing any noise problems. I am just not digging the “over processed” sound that I am hearing. I don’t think a power supply would help with that. But hey, what do I know.

:beerchug:

18. DaveHo

DaveHo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, surprise! A SMSL P1 power supply showed up on the local craigslist and I snagged it. Makes a noticeable improvement. Tighter bass, more open mids, crisper treble. Just sounds better across the board.

GChief likes this.
  19. gvl

gvl Super Member

I have a different problem, I snagged a P1 on the auction site, now waiting for a cheap M8 to show up somewhere, wonder if the M8 will improve the P1 ;)

yockmyer likes this.
  20. GChief

Maybe I can send you mine. Better with Tidal Hi Fi IMO but still not there.
    :)