1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

SMSL SA-98E: What is the dark magic?!?!

Discussion in 'New Gear - Values' started by lattiboy, Oct 24, 2017.

1. lattiboy

lattiboy AK Subscriber Subscriber

I had this guy sitting in a closet for the better part of 5 months, only using it as a "test" amp because of portability. My Marantz PM7002 has been acting up, so I threw the SMSL in it's place and WOW.

I have it driving a pair of the notoriously power hungry Dahlquist DQ-10s at the moment and it absolutely clobbers the 20x as large and heavy PM7002. I have it on max running as a power amp with a Nexus Engineering Bravura preamp and am seriously considering keeping it as my main setup. Even without the Bravura it was excellent. Only added it for phono and multi input.

Why isn't this little beast mentioned more?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

I wonder the same, I replaced my breeze audio tpa3116 with a tda7498 based amp like yours. I like it better, and am really curious about trying out some of the new dual chip versions of this design. Claims double the power at 160wpc. Of course that's probably at 10% distortion, but I'm confident that's probably still over 100wpc at 1% distortion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FX-AUDIO-F...-Digital-Amplifier-Black-Silver-/322721377762

https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-M-160E-Bluetooth-Amplifier/dp/B0749LV9M2

lattiboy likes this.
  3. lattiboy

Oh man, I am about to order one of those! Don't know which one to get, but I tend to hate the built-in media players and excessive LEDs. I'm a bit.... curious about that ebay seller though. They seem to be the only US outlet for this thing?

4. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

Looks like it, I only noticed these about a week ago, right after I noticed the dual chip tpa3116 and ordered one of those. I'm more interested in the ebay one as well, looks like it also has a headphone amplifier with a tpa6120.

There's also these.

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-TDA...8&qid=1508888802&sr=1-8&keywords=tda7498+dual

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SA-98E-...D=31EdxIteOIL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

I have ordered from here before, and have been satisfied other than slightly slow shipping.
    http://www.thanksbuyer.com/feixiang...20-headphone-silver-panel-29578?search=FX1602

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  5. lattiboy

6. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

Would love to hear your thoughts on it. Especially how the headphone amp is like if you have some hard to drive headphones. In my last post I posted the smsl version, it's the second link.

7. lattiboy

Hmmm. That one looks literally identical to the one I have. I'll open it up when I get home. I got mine about a year ago, so I don't think it can be the two chip version....

8. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

It doesn't help that they probably combined reviews for both versions.

9. lattiboy

So it turns out it’s 8 torx screws to open this little bastard. The mystery will remain for now. I’ll contact the seller to get info and let you know if I hear back.

UPDATE: It’s the single chip. Seller replied quickly. Boooooo

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    asilker likes this.
  10. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

Well more excuses to pickup another. I use spare amps like this to refoam speakers, test preamps, demo speakers I sell locally etc.

11. Archguy

Archguy Official Roiurama Factory Rep Subscriber

SMSL has so many enticing offerings. I'm waiting for the price on this one to come down.
    [​IMG]

12. Raynald

Raynald Addicted Member

I found a sale on eBay a few weeks ago so I ordered one. So far so good. I like the fact it has AUX in and a sub out so it can functionally replace a much larger AVR in my desktop system and free up some space.

Archguy and bigx5murf like this.
  13. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Try massdrop for the AD18 - they had a decent price on it there.

Archguy likes this.
  14. fredgarvin

fredgarvin AK Subscriber Subscriber

winters860, bigx5murf and lattiboy like this.
  15. lattiboy

That is very interesting! I have a Marantz PM7002 that has a "class A" button which supposedly makes it operate as such. I've done some basic testing and have never been able to tell the difference. Maybe my ears aren't up to it.

16. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

I doubt the Marantz is true class A - more like just moves the Class B bias to a higher point. A true class A runs hot - they make nice space heaters.

fredgarvin likes this.

17. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

that's a lot of money for 8wpc or less. But yes, the Chinese have lots of interesting amps on ebay that no one seems to have any experience with. I'm a bit interested in their NAIM circuit replicas.

fredgarvin likes this.
  18. fredgarvin

I saw those too.

19. fredgarvin

I had the preceding model, PM7000. It was the worst sounding amp I've ever had. I've also read other user saying they couldn't hear a difference with the button either. Botrytis is right about that.

20. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member