snagged my first today...

MN12BIRD

Whhoohoo I was at a local flea market today and found this booth with some nice stuff in it. It was mainly classic video game stuff (NES, SNES, Genesis and N64 games and systems) but they also had a few stereo receivers kicking in the back of the booth. So I look behind the counter and see one in particular that grabs my attention....

IMG_7062.jpg

Yeah baby! My first Marantz I have ever even SEEN (I'm a youngster!) in real life!!! I know its not the higher end of Marantz receivers by any means but I still like it! I bought it and a Sega Dreamcast (with controller and hookups) for $150 CDN (I'm also a Canadian eh!) and he was asking 60 for the DC so you could say I spent $90 CDN on the stereo. Not bad? I'm happy! Sounds fine as far as I can tell it works alright! I think a light or two inside might be out as the blue tuner area doesn't completely light up evenly but otherwise its nice.

So does anyone know the specs on this little Marantz? I tried to find a date on the back but there didn't seem to be any.

Just thought I would show it off!

Jake

Nice little receiver there. As with all of the Marantz 22xx series, you can tell the WPC by the last two digits of the number. So in your case, your little Marantz puts out 16 WPC. This receiver should be perfect for like an office or a bedroom. Just make sure when you pair it up with speakers that you get some that are pretty efficient.

Other than that, I think you paid a fair price :yes: , you didn't steal it from the guy, but maybe thats a good thing. Enjoy!:thmbsp:

Nice little receiver.......welcome to Planet Marantz!!
A pair of EPI 100/Genesis 1/Avid 100/Boston Acoustic A60/KLH 17, would sound great with them IMO.
Congrats!!
Steve

Congratulations. It's a nice find and a fine pic of a good, clean receiver. I have that model (my second one - first one was mangled by a hack :no:!), and it has a good sound, even if it isn't as powerful as its bigger brothers.

It will probably benefit from a little DeOxit in the controls, especially if there is any static. Use the correct type, though, so you don't strip the lubricants. Do a search here for how to do that, if you don't know already. You can get replacement bulbs for those burned-out ones for a good price from dgwojo here on AK. Probably best to replace all the bulbs at the same time.

It would be wise to check and adjust DC offset (there is a "sticky" around here that will tell you how). Eventually you should consider re-capping it and aligning it, to restore it to full orriginal performance.

Enjoy that sweet little Marantz! :music: :yes: :D

thx I actually didn't know the last two numbers on the 22xx series was the wattage! Thats awesome! I will clean the switches too for sure. I'll post a nude when I get the chance! Pic was taken with my Canon SD500 (little pocket compact) its a nice little camera!

Boy...talk about clean!
I would second gearhounds suggestion on the Genesis 1 speakers. If you can find them.

The 2216B was sold from '77 to '78 for $240.00. and yes at 16wpc. it seems on the 23xx units which are over 100 wpc they added the 1 to the 22 ,so a 2325 is 125 wpc .

holly crap 125 wpc thats crazy! I can't believe this thing is only 16 wpc and I hooked them upto my parents huge ass speakers when they were gone. Whats the differance between say 16 WRMS from a big heavy 1970s stereo and the 16 WRMS that comes from 1 of the 4 channels in my car stereo? 16 WRMS sounds almost uselessly low and yet it sounds great on my little Quest (yeah I know they are cheepo speakers from Canada or something) bookshelf speakers. They have 6" woofers and some kinda dome tweeter. they are loud enough for my room tho.

You have a good, clean example of what our passion is all about. Great pics, btw.

Congrats on your find!:thmbsp:

It's kinda tricky to compare home audio to car audio. Number one, most aftermarket decks for your car may state 30 wpc, 40 wpc and up. What you need to keep in mind is those are not typically rms wpc but maximum wpc. That and that fact that your speaker cables are run along the metal chasis of the car, alot of noise/interference occurs between the deck an the speakers. It's truly an apples and oranges comparison to talk about WPC in your car versus your home setup.

Now, with that said, having alot of wpc on your amplifier doesn't guarantee it will be louder or sound better. Its all relative to the matching of speakers with the amplifier and the sensitivity of the speakers. The advantage to having alot of wpc is that you nave more options on what speakers you can use, as alot of speakers are not efficient enough to be driven with 16 wpc. But then again, alot of them are! :yes:

Ohh...that and WPC is a man thing! Kind of like alot of horsepower in a car. You dont really need it, but if you have it, it's good for bragging rights!

You will notice that the date of production is stamped on the chassis right above the serial number....Thats a nice CLEAN Marantz you have there!!

Back
Top Bottom