[snake oil] Signals Coaxial Optimizer ?

witon

Recently I came over with this Signals Coaxial Optimizer. Anyone tried anything similar before or even made their own filter ?
From what I know digital signal is digital you can change it much. As long as you coaxial line is up to spec you are already good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/QLS-HiFi-Digital-Signals-Coaxial-Optimizer/dp/B018HXCZT0

IMO QLS product ( have tried their DAC amp, their portable DAC) is not bad but it seems to me very they came up something like this is very bizarre

What is it supposed to do? Instructions say in part "you can eat the D01 end of the line adapter to the source"...

You can EAT the D01 end so it doubles as a snack when you can't hear a difference.

Instructions
1. Package delivery Sanger different adapters, you can eat the D01 end of the line adapter to the source, or DAC, the other end of the coaxial links, you can not apply a coaxial adapter to link the increase

"Product Description

Instructions
1. Package delivery Sanger different adapters, you can eat the D01 end of the line adapter to the source, or DAC, the other end of the coaxial links, you can not apply a coaxial adapter to link the increase
2. D01 use to pay attention to the direction of the input and output signals required flow in the direction of the arrow, audio termination IN, after termination OUT, otherwise it will not sound normal.
3. D01 can be used in addition to coaxial digital signal (RCA, BNC), the clock signal can also be used in addition can also try to use it on RCA analog signals, video enthusiasts can put it in series used to improve the quality of video output AV or component video signal.
4. D01 has two switch three positions, respectively corresponding to three slightly different sound style
Users can choose their favorite sound style used either to train your ears to distinguish between them by switching capability.

When A file, B1 and B2 switch no role in the B file, B1 and B2 corresponding to different styles. (Ie B1, B2 gear must use when B, three styles are A, B1, B2)"

Package
1 x D01 Unit
1 x User Manual
1 x RCA male to RCA male Adapter
1 x RCA male to BNC male Adapter
1 x RCA male to BNC female Adapter

What more could one want, it will work on both analog and digital signals, but two would be needed for stereo. It does not appear to be an active device, so all of the internal components will be passive. Passive line compensation has been around for many decades. One common place was with the POTL (plain old telephone line, loading coils were used to counteract unwanted capacitance). Compensation is used in oscilloscope probes and the avoidance of impedance discontinuities and loading in the transmission and measurement of signals is a science unto its self.

Without more detailed information, the actual functionality is not known. Applying compensation in whatever form to a signal without knowing what and if any deficiency exists may be s shot in the dark. I take no sides as to whether or not this device works as advertised.

A lot of coaxial connectors (RCA) and coax lines for digital audio have undefined impedance (mostly 50 ohm), not the 75 ohm prescribed by the standard. A BNC connector will have the correct impedance.
Will this device "correct" for that? Don't know... but that's what it looks to be.

The use of adapters may cause step impedance discontinuities before and after the device. May not be an issue for analog audio, but maybe for higher frequency signals. In any event if I was doing impedance transformation I would not use wires for connection to the circuit board, I would use correctly designed correct impedance PCB connections. BTW if it is trying to perform some kind of impedance transformation, which end is which (since it is listed as a directional device) and what do the switches do?

It is interesting that if this device is used with the BNC adapters, it is adding 4 additional connections above and beyond what would otherwise be a single continuous piece of coaxial cable. How important all of this is in our hobby is another can of worms that I will not open.

Well, I think that's exactly what the switches are supposed to do, correct for the different signal flow and impedance correction. They blurred the picture on purpose but I think I can see a coil in there, so it might be an impedance transformer.
If that's better for the digital signal, only real measurements can tell.

Yeah, if you have BNC connectors on your rigs. If you have RCA, you are not going to be able to get 75 ohm from there...

Back
Top Bottom