Snapseed for Android. Tips & Tricks

sanford12

Old Stuff New Stuff As long as it's Good Stuff
Subscriber
I just downloaded this app and am wondering if anyone out there is using it and has any tips,tricks or advice.

What kind of device do you have it on?
I wonder about trying to do major photo processing on a phone, but on a pad maybe.

I've used it since early on--it is a great little app for quick photo retouching and adjusting. It's fast, also--I've tried Photoshop on the phone and tablet and was never impressed by its speed. (I've used Photoshop for over 20 years now.) I haven't had a chance yet to look really closely to see if the edit quality is as good as Photoshop but it sure seems like it does just as nice of a job.

One of the best image tweaks is the Ambiance control--without getting technical, it does some "magic" by changing the dark and light levels and saturation to put some life into a photo. You would find this under Tools / Tune Image / Ambiance. If Ambiance adds too much color, I will use Saturation to knock it down slightly. I also use Shadows and Highlights to enhance or knock down anything that is out of whack. It helps to keep the phone set to take HDR+ (or even HDR) photos, so Snapseed has a good quality image to work with.

Before:

IMG_20171011_214056 (Custom).jpgf

After (note the enhanced darker areas, like shadows and the woodgrain cabinets):

IMG_20171011_214056-01 (Custom).jpg

The Perspective adjustment is good for straightening a building (to get rid of that "falling over backward" effect, since smartphones can't have tilt/shift lenses ;) ). This is just a quick example I ran through, so it's a bit sloppy.

Before:

IMG_20171005_131747_546 (Custom).jpg

After:

IMG_20171005_123210-03 (Custom).jpeg

In recent weeks they have added more features, including some stylizing options and frames. I tend to skip over those, unless I really want to "grunge up" a photo (like I did with my "too many cars" photo I shared on Instagram):

IMG_20171022_201120-01.jpeg

I wonder about trying to do major photo processing on a phone, but on a pad maybe.
I use it both on a phone and a tablet. But primarily on a phone.

I took hundreds of photos on both of my trips this summer, both on DSLR and the Pixel phone, and both are suitable for printing (first phone out of very many I've seen photos from that I could say this about). In fact, I did just that--I had a book printed up of some of the photos from the first trip and if someone didn't know the source, they would not be able to tell them apart. But, I did not try Snapseed--even if I retouched them on the phone, I went back to the originals and redid them in Photoshop. I would have to examine the photos edited in Snapseed up close when I get a chance. But for general sharing purposes (and as shown above), it does a credible job. It even has a healing feature, and brushes for dodging and burning. Pretty cool, and the cost is right. :D (Although I would gladly pay $5-$10 for this!)

I'm using it on a LG V20. So far the little I've used it I like it.

Tried the perspective adjustment. That is so easy and it works great.

Back
Top Bottom