Snatched from trash on roadside

Catmanboo

Analog guy, meet digital world - HELP!!
Subscriber
Driving to a friend's house miles away, I spotted this carcass amid a disassembled organ. Slammed on brakes, jumped out & commandeered the amp from a 1959 or such conn organ. Fully toobed with original conn-marked 5u4, 5y3, 12v6-4 each. 6L6gb, 2 each, 12au7,2 each, 12ax7, 3 each, 0a3 gas regulator. Both fuses wrapped in foil, mouse piss around power xfmr on chassis, 2uf 600v replacement cap (big white can) underneath had one lead dangling due to sloppy soldering.
My question is-fix or strip? Going back for speakers & anything else snaggable tomorrow morning, when I can see what I'm doing.

Attachments

• 20181030_203510.jpg
    20181030_203510.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 270
  • 20181030_203531.jpg
    20181030_203531.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 245
If it doesn't have two output transformers that match, its not going to be terribly useful as a hifi amp. You could make some guitar amps from it, or if you can find a twin you can turn them into something. Its a pretty stout power transformer, so if you can find a mate to the 6l6 output trafo you might have something. If nothing else you've got a nice little haul of tubes there.

A 12L6 is closer to a 6v6 in terms of capability. Bit of an odd duck though, usually those were used in car radios and such like that.

Roger on the 12v6. 6v6, 12v6 same except heater. It's headed for the parts stash, I think. Power xfmr is a whopper , having to run all that. May power it up after reattaching that 2uf can, see if fuse foil holds up. If it smokes, oh well-good show!:cool:

Here's one in action I made into a bass amp. Same Conn chassis as yours, built as a blonde Bassman, so it is ........... The ConnMan.
Sounds really good despite the smallish output transformer.

ConnMan 1.jpg ConnMan 2.jpg

Man, you did some serious reworking on that thing. Just ran all the tubes thru the hickok 533a, all 4 12v6's & both 6L6's show internal shorts on all 5 positions! Thought something amiss, tested a couple known good ones. Tester must be right. What a coincidence, no wonder owners were junking it. Regrettably, the trash man beat me to the speakers & rest of it.:whip:

all the tubes are shorted? Can honestly say I've never run into that situation before. Wonder if it suffered a lightning strike. That can do some really strange things.

Me neither. Coincidentally, all bakelite-based octals. May have gotten rained on. I'll retest in a day or 2. The 3 -ax7's & 2 -au7's, ok.
Went back today for speakers & anything else of value. Trash truck beat me to it. Dammit!:(

Update on shorted output tubes: put in front of heat register for a couple days, i suspected they'd been rained on. I was right, dried out and no shorts, all test on or above specs!:banana:

Yeah, sometimes when I use windex to clean up tubes and get it all over the bases I’ll have false shorts for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom