Sneaky Good - What ya got

I'll chime in with my ESM-3 pair. Bought them cheap to flip, but really like them.

I’ll add a + to the ESM-3. At the local thrift store they had Energy 22 Reference and ESM-3 at the same time and I bought both. Both were great speakers, but I preferred the ESMs. And this is after sampling an ESM-1 pair with the stitched woofer. I prefer the 3’s. I have new foams for them and I think they are staying around. The ESM line I think goes overlooked. Fine line of speakers from Energy.

I almost forgot a set that really surprised me was my Wharfedale W-35's. When folks talk vintage Wharfedale they immediately go to the W90's and W70's, but these much simpler W35's reallt hold their own. Of course non existent bottom end since they are pretty small, but man the midrange is just outstanding. As you can see in the photo I added in my old Janus subwoofer and the results were fantastic. These would probably make for outstanding nearfield type speakers of a vintage variety. The last photo is of them sitting on a W70 for scale.
0908151002_resized.jpg 0908151004_resized.jpg pair.jpg

747192118464_hero.png Polk RTI A9
Not much copy here.
Have sent a number of very highly regarded speakers on their way.
Never fail to put a smile on my face .
Still made and from time to time killer sales come up.
Oh and they're easy on the eyes

Another I failed to remember to bring up. Bozak DMS 2500.
These are nice bookshelf 2-ways with a 8" woofer and a peerless tweeter. Front port. Not small, not large. Good looking for vinyl veneer, including on the baffle. Very much in the Bozak mode although these are from 1985 as they are very musical at all volumes. There are some larger models that folks seem to like as well - 4500, 5500 and I would assume there is a 3500.

0507180723_HDR.jpg 0507180722_HDR.jpg

Picked these up for $40 for the pair off of the local "LETGO" App. A solid 9.5/10. I will likely never sell these. 3/4" construction, internal bracing, stitched driver, rear port, solid crossover and mirrored.

IMG_3506.JPG

I’ll add a + to the ESM-3. At the local thrift store they had Energy 22 Reference and ESM-3 at the same time and I bought both. Both were great speakers, but I preferred the ESMs. And this is after sampling an ESM-1 pair with the stitched woofer. I prefer the 3’s. I have new foams for them and I think they are staying around. The ESM line I think goes overlooked. Fine line of speakers from Energy.

Definitely an under appreciated speaker. My 2’s are built like tanks and sound amazing. Mine also have the stitched woofer. Would love to find a pair of connaisseur 22’s

I have been a fan of the diminutive Celestion 3 speakers (sealed cabinet version) since they first came out in 1989. $289 a pair with metal dome tweeters that sounded great? They were a sensation, redefining the quality of what could be had for such a low price point.

I owned a pair back then and always regretted letting them go. I bought another pair about two years ago. These have been gracing my second system ever since.

These speakers are musical with highs that are not fatiguing. The midrange is quite good. What bass there is is produced with accuracy but these are not speakers for hard rock fans. The imaging is very good as well.

For my purposes, in a 10 by 8 room using low power tube amplification listening to jazz and acoustic music, these classic speakers never cease to delight. Celestion sold a ton of them. I don't know why they are so seldom mentioned. A good pair can be found for less than $100.

Ed

These Kindel Mk. II, P-Series bookshelf speakers are fantastic. Well balanced and impressive imaging.

My dad bought these new in '87, and I've inherited them.

I almost never read or hear anything about Kindel, but I would have loved to hear some of their larger speakers.

20180510_080253.jpg 20180510_080154.jpg

original alesis monitor one mk1 passive monitors

!BTivlKgBWk~%24(KGrHgoOKj8EjlLmVnm)BKJBnuyJlQ~~_1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom