SNELL Accustic A/II speakers input

Dirk Willims

so I've sourced a set of Snell A/II speakers in really great condition. And a fella who sold a set of Delquist 20s out from under me, has another set on the market.

I know nothing about the Snells, but for some reason they fascinate me. Anybody here have experience with the Snells, are they a good speaker?

If the delquists are still available, I'll snap them up, along with a set of Vandersteens the gentleman has. A no brainier for me.

It's the Snells that are peeking my interest, any thoughts on them, or the 20s or the Vandersteens would be greatly appreciated.

Dirk

Sad no info on the Snells. I did agree to purchase the Delquist 20 i and a very clean set of Vandersteens. Also learned the gentleman has a second set of Delquist 20i s, I can also purchase. I'll likely pick up all three sets,

Also had a set of Boston very nice speakers for under five. Need to research those.

BOYS I'm in a slump, I feel like I'm purchasing lots of decent to great vintage speakers at good prices. And I feel like I'm not cracking the really good speakers yet. I read day and night then go on the hunt, score the hunt and purchase. The purchased speakers sound really really nice.

I've no got roughly 25 to 30 sets of speakers now some very good upper mid level kit, but nothing outstanding.

Anybody here gone thru this hit and miss, era in the search for nirvana?

What am I doing wrong?

Dirk

The Dahlquist 20i speakers are quite good speakers, feed them a lot of good clean power and they will reward. You may want to add a pair of subwoofers if you want that really low bass. Why keep so many of the speakers that don't seem to meet your standards?

Perhaps sell off all but the very best of the ones you have, and use the funds to obtain something a bit further up the food chain, There is always an element of hit and miss, because you don't really know if you like a pair of speakers until you've listened to them in your space, with your amplification chain, and over an extended amount of listening. This, combined with the fact that speakers have dramatically more variance in their sound than do other components, means it is always something of a ongoing quest.

And then there is the issue of personal preferences. A pair of speakers that one person absolutely loves may elicit nothing more than a "meh" to the next guy. It might be helpful for you to cull through your collection and try to figure out what the common characteristics of the ones you like best are. This may help narrow your search for a pair that you want to listen to every day.

The big Snells are quite good...very smooth, and somewhat laid back, but with good detail. They can get as loud as just about anyone would want if they value their hearing, and are very well made. I would categorize them and the Vandersteens as somewhat similar, although you didn't mention which model/version. I would guess it is the 2C, but it's sound has changed quite a bit over the 40 years it's been in production....the speakers in this series have become significantly more forward and dynamic sounding (to me, anyway) over the years. They are still full and rich, but not as "wooly" as the earlier models (2C, 2Ci, 2Ce).

I've not heard those Dahlquists.

What am I doing wrong?

After 25 to 30 sets of speakers, it sounds like you are going in the wrong direction. I would suggest going after better amplification.

I have had, Snell A, AII, and AIIIi's along with Dahlquist DQ 20's and 10's. Make sure the woofers have been serviced correctly on the Snell the A's and AII's if the surrounds have been gone a long time they will need new spiders also on the rebuild.

Good Luck

so I've sourced a set of Snell A/II speakers in really great condition. And a fella who sold a set of Delquist 20s out from under me, has another set on the market.

I know nothing about the Snells, but for some reason they fascinate me. Anybody here have experience with the Snells, are they a good speaker?

If the delquists are still available, I'll snap them up, along with a set of Vandersteens the gentleman has. A no brainier for me.

It's the Snells that are peeking my interest, any thoughts on them, or the 20s or the Vandersteens would be greatly appreciated.

Dirk
I own 3 sets. Amazing speakers. Just make sure if you replace surrounds you get the correct ones. Also, if you mess with the crossover, keep it completely original to include bundling the caps. You can use better caps, just don’t use one when 2 or 3 were used bundled. IMHO.

Morning,, yes lots and lots of speakers. Where I live in southern Oregon their are not a lot of stereo folk, hence no oppertunity to sell, or trade. Each set of these speakers offered a slice of the past, something special. All are in very good condition, all sound very very good.

My currant set ups are decent gear. System number ones a David Berning 270 tube amp with a Berning TF-10 upgraded tube pre amp. Yamaha PH800 TT,, nackashema, cassette deck, Kyocera CD, and a high end Yamaha Tuner, thru a set of Cornwalls.

Sounds killer, good clean power. I'm pleased with the amplification.

Number two is a Quicksilver integrated tube amp, luxman tuner, Denon 800 cassette deck, and a fluency 81 TT, thru a second set of Cornwalls. Again sounds really good.

My kitchen system is a/d/s SS integrated amp, and a a/d/s tuner and CD player thru a set ofwarfdaleW90s and W70s. Sounds very very nice.

Yet I can't help but think I can do better, sonically musically. I think I'm chasing that last two three percent of " better"

I'm finding it's an expensive 2/3 percent increase I'm after.

What are some fantastic high end speakers I sound be sourcing. Say in the 5/7 thousand dollar range , used.

And other times I think out loud, I'm right on track, doesn't every young up and coming audiophile walk this path, take this journey thru stereo components to achieve their high end, their personal best systems.

Thanks gentleman I'll get it sorted out.

Dirk

Perhaps sell off all but the very best of the ones you have, and use the funds to obtain something a bit further up the food chain, There is always an element of hit and miss, because you don't really know if you like a pair of speakers until you've listened to them in your space, with your amplification chain, and over an extended amount of listening. This, combined with the fact that speakers have dramatically more variance in their sound than do other components, means it is always something of a ongoing quest.

And then there is the issue of personal preferences. A pair of speakers that one person absolutely loves may elicit nothing more than a "meh" to the next guy. It might be helpful for you to cull through your collection and try to figure out what the common characteristics of the ones you like best are. This may help narrow your search for a pair that you want to listen to every day.

The big Snells are quite good...very smooth, and somewhat laid back, but with good detail. They can get as loud as just about anyone would want if they value their hearing, and are very well made. I would categorize them and the Vandersteens as somewhat similar, although you didn't mention which model/version. I would guess it is the 2C, but it's sound has changed quite a bit over the 40 years it's been in production....the speakers in this series have become significantly more forward and dynamic sounding (to me, anyway) over the years. They are still full and rich, but not as "wooly" as the earlier models (2C, 2Ci, 2Ce).

I've not heard those Dahlquists.

The Vandersteens are the c-2s. They gentleman Im purchasing from is a pretty solid fella. Stated all the speakers I've mentioned are all same era, same sort of very close sound. All are recently gone thru, and in great shape.

What speakers are you running, why? I'm trying to learn.

Dirk

The Dahlquist 20i speakers are quite good speakers, feed them a lot of good clean power and they will reward. You may want to add a pair of subwoofers if you want that really low bass. Why keep so many of the speakers that don't seem to meet your standards?

Dark, good morning. Got two sets of dq-10s, love em. Everything I've read says the 20is are even better, again I'm chasing the dragon! Lol. I love the hunt, I love the travel to recover my kit, and I really enjoy meeting the folks I purchase from. Each one offers a slice of knowledge, and most share their story of chasing kit. I love everything about this audiophile endeavor.

I've met Dr's, I've met Drug dealers, I've met Hells Angels, rocket scientists. Each with a story, of how they got here. Each an oppertunity to learn. I'm a street wise guy, I recognize not everything I'm told is straight up, or perhaps on the level, never the less it's still a party of the hunt. And I love the hunt.

Dirk

Back
Top Bottom