Snell Type D speakers in the house

JeffNTaxes

Last night I brought home this nearly mint pair of Snell Type D's to upgrade from my ADS L710's.
The difference is as you'd expect, amazing sound stage.
I don't see much content on here regarding this brand, or this model at all. Any users here?

Attachments

• IMG_0503.jpg
    IMG_0503.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0504.jpg
    IMG_0504.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0502.jpg
    IMG_0502.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 92
please don't tell me you found these at the Goodwill for 12 dollars...it makes me really angry when I read these.
Haha, no I paid what I thought was a fair price, about what they go for, from what little I've found. I don't post here much, is it not cool to mention pricing in posts?

Congratulations, there are a handfull of Snell lovers here, but I haven't seen anyone with Ds before. I'd have braved a snowstorm too!

Found this...."Class C" April 1996
2z8565i.jpg

Last edited:
Bet they sound great. Snell's are great speakers. Would love to afford a pair. Enjoy the music !. But when Snell set up speakers to sound good they did.

Couple more Snells here. Any of these yours?

I own a set of E II's that I had major modification done to. On them, I had the cabinets completely rebuilt by my brother in law. He's a master woodworker and built them to the exact dimensions and braced them exactly to the originals. He used a nice cabinet grade Northern Birch plywood. I then took out the original drivers and replaced them with Audion Note hemp woofers and Audion Note silver voice coil tweeters. I had the internal wiring remade by Cullen Cable, and AK member Gordonw re-did the crossovers to the originals, even to include bundling the capacitors like Peter Snell did. I would put these up against anything in the 5,000 dollar range. I have a total of about 1200 dollars in them with all the upgrades.

I also own a set of Type C's. These have new woofers from Atomic HiFi. They are matched to the originals. I also had the crossovers rebuilt by AK member Baco99. He did a different approach when he did the crossovers. His idea was to clean things up quite a bit and use much higher quality caps. These speakers sound amazing, but are source and room sensitive now. Once dialed in, they will hang with just about anything in the 5-10,000 range.

I also have a set of C IV's. These are unmolested. They sound very nice, but not quite up to the level of the others. I'm tempted to play with them a bit, but probably will not because I like the others so much and in reality, you can only have so many speakers. IMHO.

xn9lrr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom