Snell Type E II - re-cone speakers or get new drivers? Please advise :)

HypnoCoosh

Hey guys

I have a set of Snell Type E II speakers I'm driving with a Yamaha CR-2020.

I'm guessing the speakers need to be re-foamed.

Is it worth getting something like this to re-foamed them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snell-Type-...hash=item46035ab7b0:m:mWdyhlXX9T96OYb7wB9ER-g

Or should I find a local repair place to re-foamed them?

OR.....

Should I buy new drivers all together and if so what would be an "upgrade" or comparable to what is in there already?

Thanks guys I really appreciate the advise.

Last edited:
I'd keep the original drivers and have them repaired. Do you mean reconed or refoamed? They shouldn't need a recone unless the drivers were somehow damaged. Foam surrounds are probably shot, but that's an inexpensive and pretty easy fix.

Sorry that was a bad typo.

So is it worth re-foaming yourself?

The cones are fine.

Or just get new drivers?

Yes that was a typo.

I meant re-foam. The cones are perfect.

Should I look for a local place or try to refoam myself?

Do some research on AK and watch some youtube videos on the process. It's usually not super expensive to have it done by someone else, but it's also not all that hard. If you decide to try it, be patient and make sure you read up on different methods for centering the voice coil so that it doesn't rub when you are done.

Refoam yourself if you are up to it. Not sure why the ebay seller is offering 4 and not 2 foam for a lower price.

There are pros out there that can do it also. PM me for details.

Thanks I got the speakers off CL when someone on AK suggested I go look at them.

I got the speakers and the Yamaha CR-2020 for $600 all in excellent condition.

I've had them for a few years now and I'm noticing when I'm really driving the speakers it sounds like they are "bottoming out" on the lower bass notes.

So I figured this was a foam issue.... Not sure though.

Do they only sound like that when they're played at high volumes? If so, you're probably playing them too loud and just need to turn it down a notch.:rockon:

Have you taken a closer look at the woofer foam? Does it looked cracked or flaky?

The foam looks ok I'll take a closer look tonight.

I was hoping I could drive them a little harder though. I mean they are mid 80's drivers so maybe they are tired and need some attention?

Either that or I could put some better drivers in that I could push harder.

How does one determine when it makes sense to put new drivers in?

Changing driver IS NOT something that one takes lightly. The reason is it is way more than just putting another driver in the cabinet. There is a lot of engineering that goes along with that and more than likely the crossover would need changing. It would also drop the value of the speaker to basic junk status.

So then what is the best course of action if I want to make certain the speakers are in tip top shape?

I'm curious if I might need to consider upgrading to a new speakers then .

I love the quality of the Snells they sound amazing. But sometimes I REALLY want to rock and they just can't get it.

If you want to play really loud, you have the wrong speakers. Sorry to say. Get some C-V's and jam to your heart's content.

That's what I'm thinking.

The Snells are good for some listening but I need to make another purchase for really jamming.

Having a pair of Snells myself (JIII) I'm reading with interest.
As I recall, I've seen mentioned more than once about using the "correct" foams (something to do with pliability I think) when refoaming them.
When replacing individual drivers Snell recommended that new capacitors may be needed to retain their tolerance within the factory percentage of performance to the "master" speaker, so even a recap MIGHT need a little extra care in selection of caps IF factory specs and performance are desired.

JMO---the Snells are fine speakers but not exactly floor pounding party speakers.
Perhaps a subwoofer would help.
Maybe a speaker change is needed.

I wouldn't judge those until the foam is repaired. Poke your finger into one of them. I guarantee they are shot. Of course they will bottom out, the cabinet is not sealed and the woofer has no support. You will destroy them if played anymore.

Order the kit from Midwest or Simply speakers and diy.

I DYI pretty much everything in my life.

However I'm nervous about re-foaming because if I mess up it will likely destroy the driver.

What is everyone's experience re-foaming?

Maybe worth finding a place that actually does the re-foaming?

Refoaming is not hard. If you get into a pinch send a PM and we can get together and do it. (for the price of a 6 pack :D )......

This seems feasible :)

I'm going to look into ordering the foam then. Is eBay ok or stick with a more reputable site like Simply Speakers?

Back
Top Bottom