So a guy listed a pioneer 1280 for $300

Here is the origin of that pic. http://vintageelectronics.betamaxcollectors.com/pioneerstereoreceivermodelsx-1280.html

It is literally the first hit on a Google image search. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean it was a scam. Lots of people use "stock photos". Of course best practices is to mention it is a stock photo, but not everyone follows best practices.

I have had that happen several times. I get there and the unit is different than the photo(s). Usually in much worse condition. Then they say "yea I just found that pic online". Now I ask if the photo(s) are of the actual item being sold before going.

Hmmm. It's only worth 2 grand because people are paying that much. If every time some someone finds a better deal and some other guy doesn't call and queer it, for reasons of his own, the value will start to decrease. As it probably should.

So you were bitter that you weren't first? Shame. Sorry, but that was a dick move. If you would have just quietly offered $600 or whatever that would have been a little better I think.

Ok, let's see if I got this straight.
1. Telling the seller his item is worth more = bad
2. Offering double what the first respondent was going to pay = good.

Is that right?
If so, I disagree and feel door #2 is the dick move.

Is that right?

I was being somewhat sarcastic. It's "a little better". Nice try on challenging my own personal ethics though. I am nothing but honest and straight forward on my own dealings. I know personally I would not do either of those.

Please tell me I'm a good person and you like me so I can feel complete.

I was being somewhat sarcastic. It's "a little better". Nice try on challenging my own personal ethics though. I am nothing but honest and straight forward on my own dealings. I know personally I would not do either of those.

Please tell me I'm a good person and you like me so I can feel complete.

There is nothing to shame or be shamed about. Not sure why anyone would think either the seller's or the OP's behavior is anything but ordinary. When I was actively hunting gear, I heard this story countless times.

Is that right?
How about-

3. Telling the seller he was asking far too little, to queer the deal only after finding out you got beat to the sale

That could be it..

There is nothing to shame or be shamed about. Not sure why anyone would think either the seller's or the OP's behavior is anything but ordinary. When I was actively hunting gear, I heard this story countless times.

A lot of unsavory things are "ordinary" these days in the US. That's part of our problem as a society, but that's for another thread.

A lot of unsavory things are "ordinary" these days in the US. That's part of our problem as a society, but that's for another thread.

When I was in competition with the pros in my area, I heard stories like the one in this thread all the time. In fact, it's happened to me. Ad price was a steal. First caller. On scene within an hour. The seller says he was told the true value and says the price is now.... Many times the seller will tell me the subsequent callers will pay more and ask for more money. Sometimes they honor the asking price. Anyone with any experience buying and selling will know these are scenarios that have played out since the beginning of commerce. There is nothing new here.

People sell stuff for 2 reasons usually. 1. They need the money or 2. It is taking up valuable space and they just want it gone. Everyone has their own code of ethics mine are likely different then yours not better but just different only you can say for sure if your telling the seller it was worth 2k was for noble reasons or just to make sure to sour the deal for the first buyer because you could not get it..

I try and ask the seller why they are selling something before I commit to buying if they tell me they are selling because they are upgrading or that they are selling because it is something that is just taking up space I normally just pay the price and say nothing. On the other hand if they tell me it is because they need money to feed the kids or fix their car or lost their job or some such I will offer them more then they are asking if it is something I know I can make a buck on and we both win.

I will not tell a seller the value of something until it is in my hot little hands and money has been exchanged however because I have had sellers back out after I told them the value of an item was far more then their asking price and offered them more for it so my time and gas was wasted.

I called a seller one night very late after midnight because he posted the ad 5 mins earlier so I figured he was still up which he was. I told him that I would buy his items for sure and that what would be a good time to come buy them in the morning and asked him to please not sell them to anyone else before then he agrreed and said 9 AM would be good I said fine I will call you then.

The next morning I call him and he told me that he had sold them to someone else about an hour ago I then ask him for how much? he said $75.00 which was his original asking price so I told him that he had screwed up because I had planned on giving him more then his asking price but could not tell him how much more until I seen the items in person to determine the condition both working and cosmetically. I wanted him to know that if he had kept his word he would have came out way ahead.

The items were a Pioneer SX-1250 CT-F1000 HPM-100's

I was then accused here of lying about it and only told the seller that to make him feel bad because I was pissed about not getting them which was half true because yes I was pissed and yes I wanted the seller to feel bad about not keeping his word as a lesson but the truth is I had planned on giving him more once I had bought them simply because it was the right thing to do.

The moral of this story is keep these kind of things to yourself because you will get beat up on an forum like this no matter how noble your intentions.

Regards Snow

Snow, you are so far ahead, you shouldn't care. I don't.

A score pops up , really undervalued to the nth degree and you respond only to find out you are second in line.
You offer more than the asking price and the seller complies.
You are happy, seller's happy.
Good Karma/Bad Karma?

A score pops up , really undervalued to the nth degree and you respond only to find out you are second in line.
Good Karma/Bad Karma?
Only you can decide that for yourself.

Good Karma/Bad Karma?

What about the person who was first in line? They got shafted in this scenario and didn't do anything wrong. I say bad karma for screwing the first person in line. Neither the second person nor the seller acted honorably. The second just bought the seller in this little scenario.

Snow is right. And I apologize for my "sarcastic bitchiness". LOL.

Having a really crappy week.
No need to apologize everyone has their own moral and ethical code whatever is right for you is right for you and whatever is right for someone else is right for someone else it does not make either of you wrong just different.

My take on the story and the ensuing comments is this....................... The OP screwed up the score for the first person in line simply because he did not want anyone to get if he could not.

Dick move? only you can decide, for me it was a crappy selfish thing to do.

Regards Snow

What about the person who was first in line? They got shafted in this scenario and didn't do anything wrong. I say bad karma for screwing the first person in line. Neither the second person nor the seller acted honorably. The second just bought the seller in this little scenario.

I think that was the dilemma he was referring to.

Perhaps "the first person in line" pulls the wings off butterflies and he's simply suffering a karmic come-up-ance of his own;)

Back
Top Bottom