So, apparently I have to get a tt - any advice?

Desmoface

I mean, after hearing how absolutely incredible this sounds (I know, it's youtube but that makes it even more valid), do I have a choice?

So, I want to buy something inline with what I have for sound; a parasound 2100 preamp with built in phono pre; 275 parasound amplifier and KEF Q300's & old Klipsch 12" sub. This all sits in a bedroom that is used for an office/working out/ironing, etc.

2WzSk3n.jpg

3m4c22k.jpg

So, I don't want to spend crazy money, I'm thinking something like a U-Turn Orbit with the upgraded Ortofon Blue cartridge. Or, maybe a Rega Planar 1; but I thought I read that you can't replace the cartridge on this one?

Anyway, I know nothing about TT's so please send some advice my way. I should also mention that there are very few, if any, decent audio stores near me, other than best buy. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Last edited:
So, I don't want to spend crazy money, I'm thinking something like a U-Turn Orbit with the upgraded Ortofon Blue cartridge. Or, maybe a Rega Planar 1; but I thought I read that you can't replace the cartridge on this one?

Therein lies the problem. Neither of those turntables is going to sound as good as the CEC in the video.

jeff

Barter Town? I'm not against vintage - it sure seems like they don't build them like they used to. Anyway, the need for a good TT just keeps getting worse:

Steve

John barter town and grab a vintage table from one of us fanatics who can't help but accumulate them, then be happy. :)

CEC? Is that the turntable in the video? I'm new to lots of this, LOL.

Steve

Yes. I have a CEC made table here that's my favorite of the integrated tables I've played with so far.

My Sony monster beats it... But that's not a fair competition considering the effort it's taken to build the Sony setup.

Ahh..Holy smokes, that CEC sure sounds sweet..and that's from a youtube video, I can't imagine what it would sound like connected to even my modest setup. I have to assume something that sounds that good has a corresponding price tag? Thanks again.

Steve

Barter town is the AK buy/sell/trade forum. You have to become a paying member to access it.

I have to start looking/reading/learning. So, the U-Turn and Rega wouldn't be able to recreate a sound so sweet?

Steve

Both tables are entry level which is the lowest rung in the turntable ladder, new tables don't start to get competent till the they break the $1,000 price point and really closer to $1,500. Vintage tables will be a lot more bang for the buck and the sound quality will be superior.

Excellent - I’d have to find a vintage tt that was properly set up as I’m a plug and play type. Spending $1k - 1.5k would make my wife quite irregular, LOL. Thanks for all the advice.

Steve

Both tables are entry level which is the lowest rung in the turntable ladder, new tables don't start to get competent till the they break the $1,000 price point and really closer to $1,500. Vintage tables will be a lot more bang for the buck and the sound quality will be superior.

What are you using now for a source?

You do know you could run those same tracks from YouTube thru your preamp forget the turntable and just play youtube video's of other peoples expensive turntables and carts. :idea:

Actually it will probably sound better than if you really had a TT, unless you had a really good TT and had great vinyl. Good vinyl isn't cheap anymore. I just ordered a couple of records a while back and it was right at 150 bucks.

The AR XA can be had for a very modest sum and performs very well when properly set up. Given that you're new to turntables, you'd probably want to send it to an expert like Marc Morin for restoration/modification and setup. And you'll have to spend some money on a cartridge as well.

Keep in mind that even a budget vintage turntable can easily end up costing $500+ by the time you get it ready to play.

Back
Top Bottom