So, apparently I have to get a tt - any advice?

Fair enough. I grew up with records as my main music source. I'm used to treating them somewhat carefully but not delicately. Hence the use of tap water. I am also anything BUT OCD. More of the lazy type.

Shelly_D
Older than dirt myself, records are and always have been my main source of music. I can't say I was always kind to my records lol.

I'm of the same generation when records were about the only game in town and they could be replaced without much trouble. Not the same today, all depends on the amount of time/effort/money you want to devote to cleaning records, can be done cheaply DIY or drop serious money but a sizable record collection in nice shape of desirable artists can be worth a fair amount of money and might well be worth the effort to keep it in good shape.

For what it's worth: I'm in the process of cleaning all my records (500-600, maybe more...) with the Spin Clean kit. Does a good job but won't resurrect damaged albums obviously...

I use 2 Spin Cleans (with distilled water and a Triton mix). One to clean and one to rinse. Followed by a vac with wand using a $20 mini shop vac on an old turntable. Works fine for me. Our tap water is so hard and mineral laden it would be disastrous.

Well yes and no. A good cleaning regimen is required, but systems are not. Distilled water, a tiny bit of Dawn, fine bristle brush, and a spritz bottle. The glass clamps seal water out so the label doesn't get wet. I use the sprayer in my sink to rinse after soaping up with the brush, with the grooves only. Then a final spritz of distilled with the spray bottle to rinse off the city water, then air dry.

Works great, used records that are virtually unplayable often sound pristine after. No reason to scare the noob into thinking he needs $$$$$ worth of cleaning supplies. All can be obtained from Home Depot.

View attachment 1237866

+1

I just use tap water when I clean a record, not distilled. No reason to use distilled if your water is not had enough to need a water softener for other uses. At least that's my feeling on the matter.

This is the same method I use and it works great. I've used a cleaning machine at a local record shop and it didn't seem to do any better of a job than the old sink, dawn and a soft brush method. The suction cups in the center make great handles too.
I do use distilled to rinse because the water here is pretty much a super-concentrate of minerals with a bit of moisture thrown in. We get little stalactites on the edges of the tap because it's such hard water. If I let that dry in the grooves of my records I'd imagine it would look like I'm using a tile saw with no water while trying to play it.

I read through this thread, and it has been very interesting.

When I got back into records, I purchased a couple of turntables. They were all fine, but I kept thinking about upgrading. After buying, selling, and loosing money through my steady rotation of equipment, I purchased the turntable I had originally wanted. I had originally deemed it as too expensive. My equipment is modest, but I would have saved $250-$300 if I had started with the turntable I wanted.

The process had some similarities to buying a house. When purchasing a house, there are some that I can afford. There are some that I drool over, but realize are not within my grasp. There is a sweet spot where I can purchase, perhaps make a few spending changes in the short term, and enjoy for a long period of time.

Welcomdmat a similar observation here of the purchasing habits of some AK members who collect one new entry level turntable after another with the hope that the mfg finally got it right. When added all togeather they could of purchased a proven much higher performing table for even less money than they wasted on multiple entry level tables.

Welcomdmat a similar observation here of the purchasing habits of some AK members who collect one new entry level turntable after another with the hope that the mfg finally got it right. When added all togeather they could of purchased a proven much higher performing table for even less money than they wasted on multiple entry level tables.
But a used TT rarely loses much value these days, especially a vintage model. I'm happy with what I have, but I could flip the few vintage tables I have and put that money towards something better.

Forgot to add that the minute you open the new turntable box there is a 25-33% devaluation of the price tag. On the other hand just about any competent vintage table as Nixxuz stated will at worst be a break even and much more likely you will make money if you were to sell it.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all of the advice..I'm in the research/education mode at the moment - still trying to figure out what I'm going to do. I'm learning a lot from everyone here, though and I want to thank you all.
I'm afraid I haven't carefully read every post, but since you live in a suburb of Cleveland, I have to believe there are some dealers you can visit. If you're interested in either new or used turntables, there is a store called Play if Again Sam in Lakewood, Ohio. They say their specialty is pre-owned, fully reconditioned equipment, but they also sell new gear from companies including Belles, Jolida, Music Hall, Sota, Sumiko, Townshend, Well Tempered, Audio Technica, Apature, Analysis Plus, LAST, Mogami, Standesign, Gold Ring, Ortofon, and Pfanstiehl. Driving time from Mentor to Lakewood is supposed to be 36 minutes according to one site I checked, and it might be worth a visit. This is not a recommendation from personal experience, just one store that came up in a search.

http://www.playitagainsam.com/index.html

Last edited:
Just to update everyone, my new Rega Planar 3 came today. I figured I would have to update the cartridge ASAP but it sounds surprisingly good for how cheap it is. Thanks again for all the advice, everyone.

Steve

Just to update everyone, my new Rega Planar 3 came today. I figured I would have to update the cartridge ASAP but it sounds surprisingly good for how cheap it is. Thanks again for all the advice, everyone.

Steve
Congratulations. You should snap some pictures of it and post it up .

Audiofreak71

Yes, congratulations indeed.
I hope you will be very happy with your new deck.
So is it a 2016 Planar 3, or and older version? Inquiring minds and all that.

Hi Chaz,

It's the newer version, I believe, but I'm still new to the Rega family so I could be wrong. I found it a bit odd that it came with the carbon as I see the Elys 2 is usually bundled with the P3. At any rate, it came installed; all I had to do is align it a bit, set the tracking weight and anti-skate and I was off to the races.

Here is the actual TT - the ad says damaged box, but there is a crack on the dust cover. This is a highly reputable retailer but I wish they would have been a bit more descriptive in the ad. The box was fine, incidentally, LOL. No worries, the entire tt is covered when not in use, so it's out of site.

Steve

Here are a few more - it's a very modest system consisting of a Parasound 2100 preamp and a Parasound 275 Amp running into a pair of Kef Q300's. I also had an old Klipsch 12” sub that was being neglected so I threw that into the mix. This all started with me looking to replace desktop computer speakers for a little office/workout room, LOL. It quickly got out of control.

You can see the crack in the front top of the dust cover in this photo.

Steve

Last edited:
The force is strong with this one...

Steve

This is always my first suggestion to anyone that wants to get a turntable for the first time. Built like a tank, easy to set up, and if you don't like it, you won't lose money on it assuming you didn't spend stupid money to buy it. Even the new one you have posted there is a great value when compared to other belt drives in the same price range but for my money a used SL in good shape for under $500 is a great way to get started. They are more of these older SL 1200 tables out there than any others. I don't know where you are located, but if it's a major metropolitan area, you will have an easy time finding one.

Nice! Assuming the dimensions are the same you could keep your eye out on the used market for a second hand dust cover. I found one about a 50 min. drive from where I live last year for $10.00. I used it for my Sharp Optonica deck. If you are interested it's always an option.

Back
Top Bottom