1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

So.... are DIN connectors REALLY that bad?

Discussion in 'Tape' started by Numone, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Numone

Numone Active Member

Simple question.. discuss!! :)

Please register to disable this ad.

2. MRL_Audio

MRL_Audio AK Subscriber Subscriber

Simple answer..NO! ;)

Numone and Audioraven like this.
  3. RhythmGJ

RhythmGJ AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hard to find on consumer gear nowadays. What prompted the question?

GJ

4. steerpike2

steerpike2 Super Member

The 3 pin to 8 pin types for line level are very acceptable, if from a good manufacturer. Two pin for loudspeakers not really adequately rated for the current delivery needed for more than about 20W.

5. Numone

Numone Active Member

Well, that's good news!
    I asked as I recalled in the '70's that DIN leads were derided by HiFi "buffs" and that phono were the only way to go. But given they were used on so many TOTL units, they couldn't be that bad, so I was wondering was others thought. Our TEAC A-3300, A-7030GSL and AS200S amp all have DIN sockets fitted and I also have many leads that came with the 7030 too, so it'll be worth a try I guess - it'll certainly be a lot less messy!
    Does anyone else use them?

6. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Different parts of the world. DIN was a € thing and the RCAs were used in the US. There are differences in the level associated with the input/output but they are as good I guess and a lot easier than the 4 RCAs needed for a tape deck.

Numone likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Numone

Numone Active Member

Interesting. Does the input/output differ in lower or greater signal? Also forgot that our A-450 has a DIN socket too.

8. steerpike2

steerpike2 Super Member

DIN signal levels are much lower, and the load impedance is much higher. As such, cheap & poorly made cable can be noisier than an equivalently 'nasty' RCA (=CINCH) grade cable.

Grbluen likes this.
  9. Grbluen

Grbluen AK Subscriber Subscriber

In fact in the last two weeks I've had my phono stage in for service only to find out that only problem was with the xlr cables that I had been using! Switched back to the regular phono cables and all is well! I don't think that I'll try that experiment again!