So Close!

MERK26

Thought I may have made a amazing find when this showed up this week. Mcintosh 6100 amp. Had some obvious signs of damage [broken glass] but I was hopeful when I plugged it in and it lit up! Then I opened it up...
1f625.png
. Several boards missing from the chassis. Looks like I`m not joining the elusive ranks of (working) McIntosh owners!

Yeah, I was disappointed to say the least. Everything looks so clean and nice too, but really no way for me to tell whether what I have is functioning or has big problems.

Looks like they sold off one driver board, one preamp board and the power supply board.

I hope you bought it for the wood cabinet and knob value because to get this unit to work will cost major funds to find replacement boards and then buy new glass.

I bought it with hopes of it working, but couldn`t really test it. No way of knowing that the boards were missing.

Cheers for that! Not likely to have come from this one, based on location. Problem is...I don`t know if what I have has other issues.

I know it is not ideal, but your best bet may be to sell it "as-is for parts" and start over. The project may add up to more than buying a unit in good shape.

Cheers for that! ... Problem is...I don`t know if what I have has other issues.

Very likely it does but at least it can now be rescued. I suspect cabinet alone is probably worth what you paid. I'd try to see what they seller will take on a package deal.

Even if you decide to start fresh with another unit, it'll be worth a lot more as a project to someone else without those boards missing!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom