So confused!

Harpoonalt

I have a Yamaha M4 amp and C4 pre I was going to get refurbished. I'm driving some vintage ADS L980's that I love. I have a CD changer but mostly stream music using my Echo Dot to my Pioneer receiver that's standing in until the Yamaha stuff gets done.
I've been getting back into audio so a lot of stuff is new to me. I'm streaming Amazon music through the echo. My questions. Is there a better way to stream music? am I better off with new equipment or refurbishing my old stuff? I've had everything since new, so there is nostalgia there. I'm enjoying the Pioneer remote which the Yamahas lack.
Help an old guy out. :)

I think you aren't getting responses because of the sub-forum (New Gear - Performance) in which you pose your question. I tend to prefer new/newer gear, myself, and while many love a mix of vintage and new, many AKers are more interested in vintage gear. The action is usually slower in this section, which caters to new gear. I think you might get more response from the General Audio Discussion section. Perhaps, clarify your question, and post there.

Remote control is one reason I prefer new. Sound quality is another. New parts - repair. If you can't fix it yourself, then you often incur the risks of shipping along with other risks inherent in what can be a long, expensive process. New features. Plug and play. Want music, not a project. Yes, I can look at older gear and feel nostalgic for times long past, but I don't wear rose-tinted glasses while doing it.

Last edited:
If your goal is to improve sound quality, Amazon music streams at 256 kbps mp3 quality. You should consider Tidal, Spotify or Qobuz in lossless flac.

I think you aren't getting responses because of the sub-forum (New Gear - Performance) in which you pose your question. I tend to prefer new/newer gear, myself, and while many love a mix of vintage and new, many AKers are more interested in vintage gear. The action is usually slower in this section, which caters to new gear. I think you might get more response from the General Audio Discussion section. Perhaps, clarify your question, and post there.

Remote control is one reason I prefer new. Sound quality is another. New parts - repair. If you can't fix it yourself, then you often incur the risks of shipping along with other risks inherent in what can be a long, expensive process. New features. Plug and play. Want music, not a project. Yes, I can look at older gear and feel nostalgic for times long past, but I don't wear rose-tinted glasses while doing it.

LOL, my questions are a bit vague. I was an audio nut (wife's term) back in the early '80's. I saved every nickel I had to buy good stuff for the day. A lot of stuff has come and gone over the years but my audio gear is still here, minus my turntable.:(
My vintage stuff is going out to get refurbished soon. It only has minor issues and still looks new. It's been mothballed because, well, life gets in the way and kids, jobs, etc., consume all your time. Recently retired, I finally have time to devote to music and a room as my office/listening room. I forgot how much I really enjoyed it and the hobby. I also realize that I'm way behind the curve here.
So, while waiting for my vintage stuff to get done, I'm using a Pioneer receiver with an Echo Dot to stream the amazon music. I love streaming music for the variety, the remote for controlling volume, and hate yelling at Alexa to change music.
So assuming I keep my vintage stuff, I'm looking for the best option to stream music and gain remote control for song selection and volume.
Thanks for your response. Appreciated and I will post in general audio.

If your goal is to improve sound quality, Amazon music streams at 256 kbps mp3 quality. You should consider Tidal, Spotify or Qobuz in lossless flac.

I'll check those out. Getting up to speed on todays gear has been dizzying. Thanks!

Does Spotify support a lossless output? I thought that the best it supported was Ogg/vorbis 320k. I know that you can use sidify to work around this, but that's not native and I'm not certain as to its, well, legality.

So, while waiting for my vintage stuff to get done, I'm using a Pioneer receiver with an Echo Dot to stream the amazon music. I love streaming music for the variety, the remote for controlling volume, and hate yelling at Alexa to change music.
So assuming I keep my vintage stuff, I'm looking for the best option to stream music and gain remote control for song selection and volume.
Thanks for your response. Appreciated and I will post in general audio.

What you seem to be asking for is a dedicated streamer which is something that connects directly to network bypassing computer. It is both a DAC and preamplifier as well. Denon DNP-800Ne is an example. Go to Crutchfield's site and select Network Music Players. Dedicated streamers are not as future proof as a computer.

I think most people use their computers to stream. It sends signal to an external DAC and down the audio chain to their preamp or amp that nowadays has that all important remote.
Either way, to gain a remote you will effectively replace your preamp.

What you seem to be asking for is a dedicated streamer which is something that connects directly to network bypassing computer. It is both a DAC and preamplifier as well. Denon DNP-800Ne is an example. Go to Crutchfield's site and select Network Music Players. Dedicated streamers are not as future proof as a computer.

I think most people use their computers to stream. It sends signal to an external DAC and down the audio chain to their preamp or amp that nowadays has that all important remote.

Thanks! Things are starting to make sense a little. So if I use my computer for the source (Spotify, amazon music, etc.) , can I stream wirelessly (WIFI) to the DAC? Assuming that gets plugged into my preamp? That gives me control of the music, but not the volume if I understand you. The only way to gain remote volume control would be a preamp with a remote then. Any examples of a DAC I could use? In effect, isn't that what the echo Dot does as well? My time away from audio has seen massive changes and I'm trying to get back up to speed. I appreciate the education. :)

There are any number of wireless (bluetooth) receivers available on amazon.
You just plug them into your amp (stereo) using the supplied RCA connectors.
You can then pair it with your phone, computer etc.
From there you can control your music and volume.

Bluetooth isn't the highest quality yet, but it will suffice for a small price until you're ready to pull the trigger on something more sophisticated.
Here are two that I have used. One is battery/powersupply powered, the other is just power supply powered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075K61NR1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016NUTG5K

I use a laptop together with, usually, Foobar2000, to drive a Topping D50 over USB. I also bought a USB plug in device that provides volume and standard CD like playback control using an external remote control.
I prefer USB because I can use it to transfer high bit rate, uncompressed, recordings (up to 8xDSD, 192kHz and higher/32bit PCM) to the DAC for playback. The volume control doesn't work for DSD for technical reasons, but if you don't want to play DSD it works quite well.
All of my digital music is on the laptop, and that amounts to about 500 equivalent CDs- which is small by some peoples standards. and all the PCM data is stored as FLAC which allows me to transfer bit identical PCM to the DAC while reducing the storage space by about half.
I also use an external 192k/24bit ADC that I use to digitize LPs, and the data can be corrected to remove or reduce ticks and pops.
This has proven to be a very useful archival tool.
I have never experienced any latency, breakup, or other problems with playback.

Thanks! Things are starting to make sense a little. So if I use my computer for the source (Spotify, amazon music, etc.) , can I stream wirelessly (WIFI) to the DAC? Assuming that gets plugged into my preamp? That gives me control of the music, but not the volume if I understand you. The only way to gain remote volume control would be a preamp with a remote then. Any examples of a DAC I could use? In effect, isn't that what the echo Dot does as well? My time away from audio has seen massive changes and I'm trying to get back up to speed. I appreciate the education. :)

I'll use my system as an example. I have 35 days worth of music on CD's. They are all loaded on my hard drive which is a Mac Mini computer. When I buy a new CD it is downloaded to the computer and then placed in the closet. To playback the music I use I-Tunes (which is free and comes on the Mac)and a program called Audirvana (software, $65 one time purchase). These two pieces of software export from the computer by USB cable (can also be digital coax or optical SPDIF) in digital form 1's, 0's to the DAC. The DAC transforms the digital information and sends it to the preamplifier. I can also use the computer to stream . However, better stream rates i.e. higher fidelity cost money. Many radio stations, actually probably all are also available to stream.

Yes your Dot is a DAC. And if you have a phone that could be used as DAC also. But most of here in Audiokarma spend a lot more money on hardware and tell ourselves how much better it sounds. External DACS cost from between $100 upwards to $2500 and higher. Hope this helps, enjoy the journey.

My hardware is listed on my profile under information.

A Chromecast Audio device is what I use to stream all my audio... Pandora and Spotify (I have paid subscriptions to both).

But the Chromecast Audio device is being discontinued...:(

However, Google makes a Chromecast Video device which uses HDMI to connect to your system... if you've got a modern home theater receiver (which it looks like you don't have). Using an HDMI splitter, you can split off the audio signal and using RCA cables fed into RCA inputs into your audio receiver.

There are any number of wireless (bluetooth) receivers available on amazon.
You just plug them into your amp (stereo) using the supplied RCA connectors.
You can then pair it with your phone, computer etc.
From there you can control your music and volume.

Bluetooth isn't the highest quality yet, but it will suffice for a small price until you're ready to pull the trigger on something more sophisticated.
Here are two that I have used. One is battery/powersupply powered, the other is just power supply powered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075K61NR1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016NUTG5K

I like this solution as an interim fix, while I educate myself on options. Thanks!

I'll use my system as an example. I have 35 days worth of music on CD's. They are all loaded on my hard drive which is a Mac Mini computer. When I buy a new CD it is downloaded to the computer and then placed in the closet. To playback the music I use I-Tunes (which is free and comes on the Mac)and a program called Audirvana (software, $65 one time purchase). These two pieces of software export from the computer by USB cable (can also be digital coax or optical SPDIF) in digital form 1's, 0's to the DAC. The DAC transforms the digital information and sends it to the preamplifier. I can also use the computer to stream . However, better stream rates i.e. higher fidelity cost money. Many radio stations, actually probably all are also available to stream.

Yes your Dot is a DAC. And if you have a phone that could be used as DAC also. But most of here in Audiokarma spend a lot more money on hardware and tell ourselves how much better it sounds. External DACS cost from between $100 upwards to $2500 and higher. Hope this helps, enjoy the journey.

My hardware is listed on my profile under information.

Thanks! Your explanations make sense to me. So much here doesn’t yet.

I have a few ways I get my music and my favorite is using the “My Tuner” app on my iMac computer. Great reception from stations all over the world. I use Bluetooth to transmit from the computer to a Bluetooth receiver which feeds my Yamaha amplifier. The Bluetooth receiver is by Audioengine and it costs about$130. It connects to one of the line inputs on my amp, and can connect to any amp or receiver that has a line input available. As long as your equipment has a line input you’re good to go! The app is also available for the iPad.

Welcome to Audiokarma and your retirement! Come on in, the water’s fine!

your C-4, M-4 and ADS speakers are an excellent foundation for a great clean sound. I would highly recommend an Oppo Sonica streamer if you can find one. Oppo has discontinued these type of products for some reason no one has really figured out but they are very good at moving digital music to your system.

Also, the C-4 and M-4 both respond well to some overhaul effort inside.

They were OK. Everyone has their own opinion on Oppo and that is the way it should be. Since you can't get parts for them any more, that is a huge problem.

There is one in every crowd but Oppo was universally considered one of the best consumer values on the market for many years. I have owned 5 of their products with zero problems and phenomenal performance. The UDP-205 in particular is a stellar performer. I know Dan Wright (Modwright) has always been astonished at the component and build quality of their products. He has used them as the product of his choosing for many of his excellent modifications. The fact their used value has gone up since production has ceased says a lot about their quality. It is really hard to do better than an Oppo even if you spend much more money...

There were many that were considered values - Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Denon, Marantz. They were all good values.

Name one of these brands that made products that competed well with the Oppo Sonica or UDP-205 that are any where near the same price?

Back
Top Bottom