So how about some other collecting?

Wardsweb

Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
office_new.jpg

Here is a pic of my office at work. Besides the obvious SAE rack and JBL L26s, lots of Japanese stuff. My mother is from Fukuoka, Japan. You can just see the bottom of the Haori (man's kimono jacket) hanging on the wall. There is another Katana (sword) on display on the left side that you can not see. The minature Kabuto's (samuri helmet) I've collected over the years. Along with the miniture Tachi's (long sword) and Yumi (samuri long bow) you can't see on the left. The blades at work are reproductions for display only. One I wouldn't trust a sharp (and I do mean SHARP) blade in the office and the possiblility of someone walking off with it.

Cool!
Ward, I would get that Kanzan Sato book I told you about if you are even interested in swords. It will give you a deeper appreciation of what I consider a lost artform. Comtemporary smiths do NOT know how to recreate the swords of the masters. Their secrets were well kept and died after the Tokugawa shogunate came into power. I had some older blades, and you only get the blades in some cases for the mountings (scabbard, handles, swordguards etc.) are collectable individually. I had a tanto, the short knife blade, with some nicks in it. Really makes you wonder.
md

I collect knives, not show knives but functional folding pocket knives. I have 4 I use for work and 4 "dress" knives that I carry that are not used for everyday cutting chores but in case I need to stab someone ;) I am always looking for new ones but am very picky, my girlfriend is a little freaked by it since I line them up in like a little display on the dresser (I want a glass topped, felt lined, lockable, wooden case). But I tell her knives are like jewlery for men :D

Exactly what I need!! I hope someone will be selling something similar after Xmas.

Thor,
Collecting knives is what led me to Japanese swords. I had a couple of damascus folders that I sold to help finance the new interest. I used to sell knives at the local gunshow here way back when. Best folder I ever had was my Spyderco clipit.
md

I've got lots of old knives. I have my Grandfather's and my Father's stuff. The only Cold Steel I have is a Tanto.

I do like some rigid knives, but I think if I was buying them and carrying them around my GF would really freak. Thats why I am maintaining a functional pocket knife collection ;) The knife has to really strike my fancy before I will buy it tho and they all must have a pocket clip. I am pretty picky since I bought my first one 8 years ago and my collection is now up to :eek: 8 knives.

I have a thousand fold Katana as well as a stainless repro.
My favorite though is a Japanese calvary sword from the late 1800s, early 1900s. I have a number of very nice bayonets from the 1890s through the 1940s.
Cold steel! Got to love it.
Stick a hand in my window pal!!:lazer:

Hmmm....other collecting. Well, I suppose my fishin' gear and tackle would qualify. I tell ya...you can buy a lure here or there and don't realize just how much you actually have...lure wise and in monetary value. I've got a number of main tackle boxes. One for my crankbaits and various "rigs" (like carolina rig...my favorite). This box is a six tray softside tackle box. I've also got a hard "slot type" box for my spinner-baits and buzzbaits. Then of course there is my worm binder...it's a soft-side double ring binder full of worms, grubs and lizards. Then of course I got my small portable river boxes I attach to my belt loop or waders...I use these when I go walking around small ponds or wading in the river.

Gear wise...I really like St.Croix rods...they offer great performance for a decent (relative) price. If you do fish alot...and have wondered about more expensive rods...try a St. Croix...I found them to be well worth the money. Reels...hmmm. I've got a mixture of spinning reels and baitcasters. I suppose almost all of them are Shimano's. The Curado gets my vote for best price/performance in baitcaster reels...of course...having four of these reels...I really haven't tried any new reels for quite a few years...so, I'm sure there is a better value out there somewhere. then you got the whole preference thing...but we won't go into that. For small pond/river fishin...give me a decent spinning reel and an small/light ugly stick...something that make me mobile.

Now I come to my bass Boat...I love the old thing. It's a 1986 16 1/2' procraft fiberglass wide transom bass boat...with a straight six Mercury 115hp on the back (I can recognize an old merc crankin away when I'm in the parking lot of a lake...before I ever see the boat or motor) I really love this 'ol boat...it's old but in good shape. I bought it used some years ago and put alotta work into cleaning it up...but this thing is an '86 and still has a nice shine...and runs good too. Ain't no reason to buy a new one...especially at the prices they go for today...crazy I tell ya!

well...that's my "other" hobby...'course my family and friends take top billing when it comes to "things" I enjoy :D

take care>>>>>

Computers...

I have so many computers... I guess you could call it a collection, heh.

My closet is filled with old computer parts and monitors.

Hey gonefishing I used to bass fish alot, I still do some but I used to be obsessed, still have alot of gear. Mostly here in Maine we have smallmouth bass, tho there is a few "bigmouth ponds" but I prefer fishing the clear rocky lakes for the smallies compared to the muddy weedy ponds for the largemouths, I also think smallmouths fight a lot harder.

I believe so ;) The only thing I hate about the spydercos or any serrated knife is that they are hard to sharpen.

Back
Top Bottom