So, I aligned my Cartridge by myself for the first time and.....

What are you, a nerd? :)

Looks more like something Sheldon would write on his whiteboard (Big Bang Theory).

I think having an engineering degree qualifies me as a nerd. :D

I don't watch Big Bang Theory... I work with those guys every day!

I just remembered somebody gave me a Audio Technica at90 cartridge last year, brand new in the package but I never used it.

I am highly considering putting it on the current head-shell I have since it appears to be fairly universal.

By the way the mis-alignd square top of the cart was square to the head shell when I started but I soon realized when using the alignment tool that it wasn't matching the straight lined null points along the tool, and I realized pretty quickly that the cart end might have to be off angled from the head shell after aligning. Just wondering if this is common?
not just common..but essential. you are aligning the cartridge to a specific geometry when you use null points. The offset angle of the cartridge will usually be different to the offset angle of the headshell unless you have a manufacturers protractor for that turntable and assuming the tonearm was aligned using the same cartridge you have. Just using a different cartridge can make the headshell's offset angle redundant anyway , even if you stick to the manufacturer's geometry. Best to use a protractor ... it is actually the stylus itself that you are aligning if you wish to be very precise in your setup...so sometimes you will find that even the cartridge body is not exactly square to the fitment of the stylus. Basically , if the stylus is reasonably straight in he cartridge body , then stick to the null points on the protractor..and when you have good alignment at both null points, the offset angle of the cartridge will be spot on . If the headshell ends up at a different angle...you can safely ignore this.

Back
Top Bottom