So i am cleaning the inside...?'s

mikewoodkoza

Mmmm Britishy.
Nearly thirty years of dust has accumulated on the inside of my newly aquired Marantz 1060.

I have used some compressed air to remove almost all of the dust on the boards and caps and such.

I then used a light brush to brush away any other loose or stubborn debris.

Now:

I know that Deoxit is sine qua non for treating noisy pots, but...

I am a little confused at where else i can spray the Deoxit 100% formula.

Can i lightly spray the circuit boards and pretty much the entire inside of the amp as a protectant?

I have tried to search the site and Caig's website for the answer, but come up empty.

And can i spray the deoxit directly inside tube sockets?

See, what i am worried about is this stuff shorting stuff out... Is this possible? When is too much too much?

What about that Caig gold stuff? Could that be sprayed all over as a protectant?

Also, does anyone know what is the best method for cleaning the insde female contact recepticle of the rca jacks? I am sure they are oxidized.

Help guys, i am a little confused

To get inside the rca plugs, get a nice round bamboo skewer, and twist a little long-fiber cotton on the end for about a 1/2 inch or so, douse with deoxit and get to work. Leave enough of the cotton outside the plug to grab in case it works off the end of the skewer.

Anything that has a metal-to-metal contact can benefit from deoxit. For metal to carbon-track, use faderlube.

ozmoid said:
To get inside the rca plugs, get a nice round bamboo skewer, and twist a little long-fiber cotton on the end for about a 1/2 inch or so, douse with deoxit and get to work. Leave enough of the cotton outside the plug to grab in case it works off the end of the skewer.

Anything that has a metal-to-metal contact can benefit from deoxit. For metal to carbon-track, use faderlube.

That advice is absolutely correct. Also, for rotary pots (like most volume knobs, for example), use the little red "straw" tubes that come with the DeOxit / Faderlube cans. Find the little (often square) holes in the pot casing, point the tube into the hole, and spray, so the spray goes INSIDE the casing. Then turn the knob back and forth numerous times (twenty or more). It is sometimes advisable to do this in three ways: turn it some while gently pulling on the knob, then turn it some while gently pushing in on the knob, and then turn it some without pushing or pulling. This maximizes the chances of cleaning it thoroughly if there is any "play" in it. Don't use brute force, though; just a light touch of pressure.

A trip to the ladies' make-up counter can help: mascara brushes work great for applying DeOxit inside RCA plugs, too. Pipe cleaners work well, also. These both have the advantage of not coming off inside, as the cotton mentioned above will. [Note: some mascara brushes will come apart: a touch of superglue where the brush attaches to the handle fixes that, permanently.] The brushes can be cleaned and re-used; the pipe cleaners, like the cotton-on-sticks or Q-tips, should be discarded once used/dirty.

One more tip: although DeOxit doesn't seem to cause shorting-out problems, better safe than sorry. Let the gear dry out thoroughly after cleaning, before powering it up.

You can find a lot more instructions, tips, etc... by searching "DeOxit" here and with Google.

Back
Top Bottom