So I got this CR-1020............

Robisme

Sansui Enthusiast
and have been putting it through it's paces.

I must say it is a very nice receiver. If you have a chance to grab one at a reasonable price, do it.

I have about $80 into it,and am very happy with it. The case is not perfect, but the face just about is.

I am still not a fan of the variable loudness. I did a lot of loud listening (about 20 watts with higher peaks) with the loudness down all the way and controls flat, and it sounds great.

I am not a convert, but it is a very nice receiver.

Here is some eye candy.

100_2905.jpg

100_2906.jpg

100_2908.jpg

100_2909.jpg

100_2910.jpg

Rob

Thats one fine looking model IMHO .

The Yamaha's that I've used over the years were mighty fine units , they just seemed to not have the WAF so were on borrowed time in this house .

But never had a 1020 or one with the pwr meters .

Barney

Being a primarily a Sansui fan It took me a while to appreciate the Yamaha sound .I did eventually in the cr2020.It does things better than the Sansui with certain speakers.

Was that station not broadcasting in stereo, the LED is not on? Maybe the 1020's local oscillator is not at 19kHz, it is easy to adjust.

Was that station not broadcasting in stereo, the LED is not on? Maybe the 1020's local oscillator is not at 19kHz, it is easy to adjust.

Check the last pic.:D

I was listening to a CD. Another thing about this receiver is the tuner keeps working when a different source is selected.
I know a lot of receivers do that.
The stereo light works fine. It was on a weak station and the flickering light was bugging me so I either spun the tuning knob or hit the mono button.:yes:

I almost put this in the bedroom, but I think my wife would notice.

I did do a comparison with a Sansui G-871DB. The tuner in the Sansui was better. The Sansui hit harder and of course at 160 WPC is a beast, but the CR-1020 held its own and sounded smoother. Metallica's bass drum hits hard with the Sansui but did sound good on the Yamaha, just not as chest pounding.
With other stuff I played the Yamaha did a better job. It was less harsh than the Sansui.

Maybe the CR-1020 can find a place in the den so I can pull the Eight Deluxe for a rebuild. I had only replaced caps on a couple of boards. It is a bit noisy, so I need to replace some transistors.

Rob

My CR 1020 is one nice receiver and a great looker:yes: Congrats:thmbsp:
The New Large Advents love it:music:

Congrats, I know you'll enjoy it.
Regards,
Jim

and have been putting it through it's paces.

I must say it is a very nice receiver. If you have a chance to grab one at a reasonable price, do it.

I have about $80 into it,and am very happy with it. The case is not perfect, but the face just about is.

I am still not a fan of the variable loudness. I did a lot of loud listening (about 20 watts with higher peaks) with the loudness down all the way and controls flat, and it sounds great.

I am not a convert, but it is a very nice receiver.

Here is some eye candy.

100_2905.jpg

100_2906.jpg

100_2908.jpg

100_2909.jpg

100_2910.jpg

Rob

Congrats Rob. I am also not a convert but they are pretty to look at.

very nice! Just curious, did you pick that up in the northbay? There was one on CL a week or so ago that I tried for but was too late. Its ok though, I just picked up a pair of HPM 100's in good condition.:D

That thing is a real looker. :thmbsp:
I am told the variable loudness works the opposite of typical loudness controls. It should be turned up all the way (flat) unless you have the volume up, then use the control as a defeat.
I may be off base on this. But why else would "flat" be the highest volume setting?
Either way, nice grab at a great price. Some folks like monitor type speakers with the yammies, and have heard it mentioned the Polks sound very good with them....I happen to agree.

very nice! Just curious, did you pick that up in the northbay? There was one on CL a week or so ago that I tried for but was too late. Its ok though, I just picked up a pair of HPM 100's in good condition.:D

I picked it up in Alamo a couple of weeks ago. I offered $60 because a channel was out, and he quickly said "sold".

Rob

I picked it up in Alamo a couple of weeks ago. I offered $60 because a channel was out, and he quickly said "sold".

Rob
someone else had one listed for $80 with speakers, (I dont remember what they were but I wasn't impressed with them at the time).
Looks like you made a nice score!

Back
Top Bottom