So I Had MOG...

Me Tarzan

EARTH
...which I thought was great. And then I begrudgingly transitioned into Beats which was fine but... Ain't no way in Hades I am getting involved with Apple ever again (I won't even click on the big Apple thread). So... I have been doing without streaming since the change. I am sure you guys have hashed this out before but to keep it simple I miss my streaming and want to give someone my business. Looking for biggest selection of not so popular music, highest bitrate, decent price. The selection that comes with Amazon Prime is terrible and don't really want to explore that any further. Is Spotify still the best option? Are there new services around without buggy apps? I guess they will all be bought up by the big guy in the end but what is a good choice for today?

After doing a little more looking, looks like Spotify will get a try. Android, Chromebook, Win8 should all work for $10 yippee.

After Mog (and a brief time with Beats), I went with Deezer Elite, since it was offered in a deal with Sonos. It had uncompressed 16/44.1 music, and a fairly comprehensive library. Unfortunately, as they have grown, I don't think they are investing enough in their network presence in the US and I would get constant dropouts and disconnects. Their solution was to force my service to compressed MP3 at all times.
I'm now on a trial with Tidal - same price as Deezer ($20) a month, which is twice as much as I would like to pay, but they have a comprehensive library and supposed uncompressed music stream.

I'm with Tidal (320K AAC+, not FLAC) for $10/month. I think the audio quality is the best of the "compressed" services, and their music library is really good. I don't know whether they'll be around in another year, but for now I've hitched my wagon to them, FWIW.

I am not a big streaming person but I subscribe to Spotify Premium - 320k VBR Ogg Vorbis. I use it within the Squeezebox environment and access it via Logitechmediaserver not an app. I also tried Tidal which was also good but because I don't use it very often $20 a month was too much for me. My kids enjoy Spotify on their phones though.

Mog was the sweet spot. I miss that service. I've tried Deezer and now TIdal. I haven't been a real fan of either one - I'll drop Tidal in a New York second the moment something new and better (and cheaper) comes along.

Tarzan hope so. Tarzan just signed up for 7 day trial.
Not sure if this helps, but I have the apps for Deezer and Spotify on my iphone(sorry), the free versions. The last couple of weeks I've been getting emails offering 3 month premium upgrades for 99 cents per month this summer.
Might be a good way to give 'em both a good trial run to see if you want to commit?

...which I thought was great. And then I begrudgingly transitioned into Beats which was fine but... Ain't no way in Hades I am getting involved with Apple ever again (I won't even click on the big Apple thread).

I'm certainly not an Apple fan, iTunes is possibly the worst piece of software ever written, but I subscribe to Apple Music. It's really pretty good, and their "mastered for iTunes" tracks ensure good quality when AAC encoded.

Amazon is apparently going to launch a standalone service as well, to increase sales of Echo and whatever other hardware they may be preparing for launch.

Well I ended up getting the Spotify premium and I like it best of all so far. The selection is much wider than MOG/Beats was. Sound not too bad from phone and USB to DAC sounds great. I like the lyrics option but rarely works for anything slightly obscure. I find it more intuitive putting playlists together and the suggestions of similar artists have led me to music that I really like. I really dislike changing services every so often so I hope Spotify sticks around and doesn't change too much for a while.

After Mog (and a brief time with Beats), I went with Deezer Elite, since it was offered in a deal with Sonos. It had uncompressed 16/44.1 music, and a fairly comprehensive library. Unfortunately, as they have grown, I don't think they are investing enough in their network presence in the US and I would get constant dropouts and disconnects. Their solution was to force my service to compressed MP3 at all times.
I'm now on a trial with Tidal - same price as Deezer ($20) a month, which is twice as much as I would like to pay, but they have a comprehensive library and supposed uncompressed music stream.
I find Tidal's catalog far, far less than comprehensive. Many of my favorite artists only have 20% of their work available there.

Spoitify just started offering a 15 dollar "family" option. For 15 bucks you and 5 others can get premium accounts. It's a great deal.

Back
Top Bottom