So I inherited a 901DB

sj-stoddard

Hi all.

First post.

I inherited a 901DB from my father several years ago & im finally getting around to setting it up.

P1110473.JPG P1110474.JPG
I have a pair of beat up KL-88S to play with for now.

Ive been reading threads about cleaning and all and was wondering if this should be treated similarly to changing the oil in your car i.e. something everyone should now how to do, or is it better left to professionals?

Can someone give a suggestion for an antenna?

Also, being as this is my first experience with vintage audio equipment, can anyone give some do/donts?
(just read about not plugging full strength signals into the phono jacks about 12 hrs after i did it at low volume)

Thanks!

There is quite a bit of disassembly required to clean the controls. Would be a good idea to have the amp adjusted to spec or at least checked.

Very nice receiver you have there. Welcome to AK.

Rob

Here is a G-9000 I was cleaning the controls on.

IMG_1511_zpsvyv50eux.jpg

OK. I spent the weekend listening to this receiver.

Spun some vinyl on my dopey little portable record player ( one thing at a time ) and even rigged an antenna to catch some FM.

Ive been reading AK articles and watching YT videos on the cleaning and have convinced my self to do it.

I will be ordering some deoxit this week, is F5 the correct/only product to get? Is there anything else i need? I saw one video where the guy was spraying canned air in after the cleaner. Is this necessary or beneficial at all? If so, is there a certain canned air i should be using?

One other question i have is how much care should be put into avoiding over spray with the deoxit? Can that cause any issues else where?

Thanks,

The swiss army knife of Deoxit is D5. Use it to clean pots and switches F-5 is more of a lubricant than a cleaner. Use it as a follow up in the pots after cleaning with D-5. As far as switches, I typically start with a good quality electrical contact cleaner followed by the D-5 or G-5.

Please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

The swiss army knife of Deoxit is D5. Use it to clean pots and switches F-5 is more of a lubricant than a cleaner. Use it as a follow up in the pots after cleaning with D-5. As far as switches, I typically start with a good quality electrical contact cleaner followed by the D-5 or G-5.

Please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

Pete,

I added my serial to the list.

I ordered D5 and F5 so i guess i have that all covered.

I read a few posts about the thinning agent in the D5 possibly being an issue but other posts saying not so much, is this an issue to worry about?

Im working my way through the Arkay sticky on the process.

One other thing, i imagine the AC outlets on the back are generally used for powering components and the the switched outlet is controlled by the main on/off of the unit and the other two are always hot?

Other than the noted wattage limits are there any other concerns with using these?

Thanks,

Scott

Attachments

• 20180117_080216.jpg
    20180117_080216.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 9
D5 is the stuff to use. The materials used to make potentiometers improved dramatically in the 1970s. I've heard cautions about using D5 on 1960s pots but it won't be an issue for your big G. The switched outlet turns on and off with the power switch, the others are hot all the time. No problem as long as you heed the watt limit.

- Pete

D5 is the stuff to use. The materials used to make potentiometers improved dramatically in the 1970s. I've heard cautions about using D5 on 1960s pots but it won't be an issue for your big G. The switched outlet turns on and off with the power switch, the others are hot all the time. No problem as long as you heed the watt limit.

- Pete
Thanks Pete.

I noticed that my switched outlet is hot even with the unit in OFF mode.

Not sure how much of an issue this is but i will try and avoid that one in favor of the two labeled hot.

I should be getting my Deoxit today.

Will post updates on how that goes.

Thanks again.

Finally got around to deoxiting. Was only able to do the volume & balance pots. Still having some channel issues. Decided to check out the FM input (was using aux before) and channel issue is almost non existent.

Two questions:

Could the input nuggets (actual name?) be an issue? If so would deoxit on a rag help?

How much could the speakers contribute to the issue? Im using some beat up kl888s' that once served as my truck speakers, i was young leave me alone...

Thanks
Scott

The Connected/Separated switch on the side of the unit, this will be the cause of many intermittent issues.
Difficult to get to, but well worth the effort.
The 4CH Adapter switch is another which can be problematic too..

The switch is on connected. I went for low hanging fruit with just cleaning the two pots. Definitely needs a more thorough cleaning.

That's one hell of a first receiver. Don't skimp unless you must, and plan on a full recap some day. That baby deserves it. Plenty of great techs on this board that would make her able to safely be a daily driver.

Back
Top Bottom