So is Buffering Dropouts the Norm for Streaming?

Old Guy8

My Jazz buddy's: Cliff (RIP) & Cleo
Subscriber
So I've been behind the times for long time. Just getting into streaming internet radio. Some days no issues. Then again some days its short buffering 3-5 seconds. Off and on. Sometimes have to start station again after minutes or switch stations.

Cable modem (less than year old),
Duel frequency router (few months old, TPLink AC1900 model Archer C9 dual band $140)
wifi to laptop ( laptop only device on the 2.4 ghz frequency, if makes a difference)
old i7 with Windows 7 laptop 4
8gb ram, maxed out,
Modi multibit,
analog amp

What is your experience? Is this within the normal?

Last edited:
Shouldn't be dropping out... unless you are streaming hi-res (think Tidal). Pandora Plus streams at 192kbps, Spotify Connect at 320kbps. Most people's internet speed is at least 3Mbps and that should take care of Pandora and Spotify.

Or...like at my house,... if someone/something else all of a sudden needs internet access (like a Windows update), it might make your audio go out a bit till the update is done. It would be worth contacting your ISP and talk with them.

Let us know what you are streaming so we can be more specific on how to help.

How fast is your internet speed, run at speedtest.net if you haven't. Are you on the 2.4 or 5ghz network on your router? I've solved many speed issues by switching to the 5, if your device or computer supports it.

If you don't have it, try Ookla Speedtest around your house and test your speed.
It's a free App, (no affiliation).

I use Spotify and never have that issue but I did need to reposition my router for the best signal in different areas of the house.

This is the Speedtest.

IMG_1796.PNG

Plenty of bandwidth here, so any streaming hiccups are due to the wireless network(s) in the house, not the Internet speed. If I connect via Ethernet, I can stream 5.1 channel DSD or 24-bit/96kHz from my media server with no dropouts whatsoever but with wireless, forget it. (And I'm even in the same room as the wireless AP.) I found wireless to be more a function of signal strength and interference in different spots of the house, not so much the frequency. (Although by nature, fewer neighbors have 5.0GHz so, less interference there.) I do stream Tidal Hi-Fi (lossless) between various devices in the house, both wireless and wired, and rarely have a hiccup there as well.

I work for Charter and almost every speed issue with customers is a wireless issue, interference or deadspots. I will say I have fixed speed issues especially with cisco/linksys routers by changing mixed mode to N only on the 2.4 network. My speed at home was stuck at 30mbps until I figured that out 3 years ago, and its been at 60 ever since. Almost everytime the 5 ghz will be faster though unless you are very far away. See it all the time..

Make sure you also clear cache, cookies and browsing history. Basically have a clean slate in memory.
I've done this with my phone, tablet and laptop which I use for Google play and makes a huge difference in speed and smoother experience.

The new router improved wifi throughout house and garage. I will use that app to test it. T-Link AC1900, model C9 duel band.

The laptop I use was higher end i7 and ram maxed out. But now seven years old. Will clear cache and cookies. I was going to connect it to 5ghz band, but it does not show as option. Maybe to old?
I will check when laptop is updating windows or antivirus in background. Laptop only used for streaming, and I don't leave it on at other times, to update.
I listen to streaming internet radio. CJRT, WLRN, WUCF, Audiophile Jazz and Blues from Greece, etc. (up to 320kbps but most 128kbps or less)

There is a wood/drywall floor and one drywall between laptop and router. Less than 25 feet between. Running eternet to laptop is not practical. Basement drywalled ceiling blocks access. Maybe I can move router a little closer.

Thanks for all the suggestings. Likely wifi issue.

Last edited:
I had buffering issues until I moved my wifi router to a more central location in the house, closer to my streaming device.
Has not happened since.

Router is currently in office in middle of ranch house. Streamer is in basement. Wood floors. Maybe I can find a better compromise location between office and streaming cave.
Thanks for advice.

I was won't happen in a couple hours.king take the laptop to the router might be easier for a quick test.
Jeffrey,
The dropouts are not a constant thing. Maybe won't happen in a couple hours or every few minutes. Llistening to a laptop speaker that long, personally would be torture. But of course you are right. That would be easier. Thanks for suggestion. May do that.
I'm suspecting the major longer duration disruptions are when laptop is updating in background

Are you getting any dropouts with your other wifi connected gear?

I've been going through this lately, and did a full reset on all my wifi stuff yesterday.
I haven't done the music thing yet(I will later on today), but everything else so far as been way better than it was.

Are you getting any dropouts with your other wifi connected gear?

I've been going through this lately, and did a full reset on all my wifi stuff yesterday.
I haven't done the music thing yet(I will later on today), but everything else so far as been way better than it was.
I check my smartphone when the laptop streem buffers. A couple times that has been with both. Yes, then I restart the modem, then router.
I have moved my smartphone to the 5ghz band, since I could not with the old laptop.
I brought the laptop upstairs next to the router for testing wifi today. May try ethernet linking later on.
thanks

Laptop streaming next to router.
Brief dropout for anttivirus update.
Another Brief dropout. Cause unknown.
I did a windows update. Caused dropout while updating.
Another ten second dropout, unexplained.

Two unexplained dropouts within 20 minutes.

I work for Charter and almost every speed issue with customers is a wireless issue, interference or deadspots. I will say I have fixed speed issues especially with cisco/linksys routers by changing mixed mode to N only on the 2.4 network. My speed at home was stuck at 30mbps until I figured that out 3 years ago, and its been at 60 ever since. Almost everytime the 5 ghz will be faster though unless you are very far away. See it all the time..

Yeah, isn't there also one of the security methods that holds back the speed too...like using TKIP instead of AES? As in, if the setting is TKIP or TKIP/AES, set to AES only.

Then, looking for a clear or more clear channel if one has neighbors with wireless, etc.

Laptop streaming next to router.
Brief dropout for anttivirus update.
Another Brief dropout. Cause unknown.
I did a windows update. Caused dropout while updating.
Another ten second dropout, unexplained.

Two unexplained dropouts within 20 minutes.

If you have a buttload of background processes running then maybe that's part of it.

Do you have all the automatic update checkers and stuff like that turned off?

Do you have more than one malware/anti-virus program running at the same time?

whoaru9antimalware che331 said:
If you have a buttload of background processes running then maybe that's part of it.

Do you have all the automatic update checkers and stuff like that turned off?

Do you have more than one malware/anti-virus program running at the same time?

Whoaru,
Useing this laptop only for streaming music. It'sseven years old and would not run Win10, so Win7 it is.
Do have the autocheckers on. Defender and one anti-malware only.

Back
Top Bottom