So little love for B&O

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by Rick Vestal, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Rick Vestal

Rick Vestal Have a nice day and duck!

Spent a considerable amount of time auditioning headphones. I originally went in to buy B&W but once I heard B&O, I was sold.

I don't hear ANYONE talking about these at all. None of the review sites give them any mention, no mention here as well. I find them really well balanced, comfortable, and since they're H6, corded. Am i just insane liking these so much or is my hearing much worse than I thought?

Edit: coming from Grado 325's and Senn HD280's

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Raynald

Raynald Addicted Member

I have seen quite a few good reviews of B&O headphones over the last couple of years. They have made good ones ever since I was selling B&O in the 80's.

3. RamblinE

RamblinE (╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻

Their Bluetooth headphones are up there with a Sony and Bose. Great products. Hear about them a fair amount elsewhere. If not for the W1 chip in my Beats Studio 3 I’d probably have gone B&O.

4. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan AK Member Subscriber

B+O isn’t audiophile cool but IME their stuff usually has very good performance nonetheless.

5. WobblySam

WobblySam Well-Known Member

Well, B&O as well as B&W aren't really leaders in the audiophile headphone market. Like PSB and other speaker makers, it's been "jump on the bandwagon" mode for a couple of years.
    I'm glad you like your B&Os. How's the comfort after several hours of listening - especially compared to the Grados. I never met a pair Grados that liked my head or ears.

6. Rick Vestal

Outstanding. My Grados hurt. Add to that I set them cup down on my rack for some and the foam melded itself into the wood, so now I have lovely round mush marks. The Grados cord is absolute garbage as well.

I'm really liking the H6's. I live in an apartment so late night listening is headphone only. Not dissapointed in the least, especially for sub $300 headphones.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Raynald

Raynald Addicted Member

Hardly just a "jump on the bandwagon":

https://beocentral.com/form1

I was selling those in 1985. Yes, they have expanded their offering as the market for it has grown, nothing surprising there.

RamblinE likes this.
  8. RamblinE

RamblinE (╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻

You want to talk about jumping on a band wagon how about Klipsch and JBL? At least Klipsch has a halo model but JBL doesn’t, not really.

I think Focal is also recent however they’ve knocked it out of the park.

9. Rick Vestal

I was looking at Focal for a bit but unable to listen to them.

10. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

We were B&O dealers for over 20 years early 70's to middle 90's. They made some great audiophile quality speakers early on and their electronics , TT, Cassette, and CD players were more about style but could sound great, too. B&O changed over time becoming more about fit finish,function and style than about over all performance. Their systems got to pricey to stylish and just didn't come up to the levels of performance our customers were after. They opened their own stores and got involved with very expensive video equipment. They weren't popular with our clientele and we had to drop the line. It was unfortunate, but their equipment also spent to many visits to our shop due to being over stressed and over worked. Our dry dusty climate didn't help either causing veneers to peel and tight joints in speaker cabinets open. I loved their TT's but that went away with the CD, and keeping them running with their plastic and nylon parts could be a chore for the inexperienced tech. I borrowed 4000 and 8000 series to dub records where pivoting tone arms skated across discs. They tracked warped records when others couldn't either. All there stuff sounded great, but for the same money you could buy Japanese brands that performed OH! so much better and with very few repair issues. I have only heard a few of their headphones and they sound very good. But I haven't bought any preferring to stick with my Signet and Stax electrostatics and my sealed Sennheisers.

Raynald likes this.