So Monoprice has an actual tube amp now...

I bought one to use with my computer. I’ve been ripping LPs and wanted a simple system to monitor the computer audio while ripping without powering up my big McIntosh system. It only cost $139, on both Amazon and eBay, and I already had a pair of old (pretty crappy) speakers. It sounds surprisingly good. It’s a good value for someone on a tight budget.

BTW, the manual says THD < 0.1%, not 1%, but doesn’t say over what frequency range.
For $139 I believe you probably got one of the hybrids. That's only a tube buffer on an SS amp. You could have gotten a great deal though. The pure tube amp lists at $330. The hybrid models list at $179 and $119 for the 50wpc and the 25wpc, respectively. In fact, I'm almost sure you got the hybrid, as the hybrid lists .1%THD and the pure tube lists 1%THD

The line out is proportional to the volume control. I use it to drive a powered subwoofer. The Pure Tube model is tube preamp and tube output sections.
Its a very nice little amp, quite loud for 8 wpc

A lot of people here are confusing different models. MP has "hybrid amps" that use SS for the output stage.
The Pure Tube amp Model 27222 uses (4) el84 tubes.
Yes. The question nobody has answered yet is: how does Model 27222 sound?

Ive got two and I like them, one connected to a turntable and the other I Bluetooth to it' and it can drive my st70.
I have powered subs on both, sound is relative but for me they are very good

One disadvantage of having the Bluetooth built into the amplifier is that the Bluetooth turns off when you switch the amplifier off. I find that I have to reconnect my (Windows) computer to the amplifier Bluetooth when I turn the amplifier back on. With an external Bluetooth receiver you can leave it on, plugged into an unswitched outlet.

Im only guessing but check your pc settings, mine connects everytime I turn on the amp. I use alexa echo to stream via Bluetooth and its great

Im only guessing but check your pc settings, mine connects everytime I turn on the amp. I use alexa echo to stream via Bluetooth and its great
I don’t think it’s a wrong setting. I set the amp Bluetooth as the default audio output device in Windows. But when I turn off the amp Windows switches the default device to the computer’s internal sound card. The amp Bluetooth remains paired with the computer, but the computer doesn’t send the audio there. It didn’t happen when I was using an external Bluetooth receiver that was on all the time.

Back
Top Bottom