1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

So, What Is This Place?

Discussion in 'The Music Barter' started by JDaniel, Mar 29, 2006.

1. JDaniel

JDaniel Super Member

So what is this place anyway?

Simple – The Music Barter is a place to trade or give away your duplicate or unwanted music.

Ground Rules:

1. This is a “Swap” forum, not a “For Sale” forum.

2. As AK is NOT a file sharing site, this forum is for LPs, Cassettes, and original CDs (ok 8 tracks and RtR too :thmbsp: ). Trades for cdrs/mp3s etc.. are NOT allowed.

3. List the following information when posting your music:
    a. Artist
    b. Album Name
    c. Format (LP, Cassette, CD etc.)
    d. Condition if known (grading in general terms – no grading Nazi’s here please. Remember – it’s free or for trade).
    e. Clearly state whether this a free/give-away item or if you are looking to trade? If a trade is desired, then list the artists, titles, or genres you are in search of.
    f. Shipping terms, such as local pickup only or shipping cost (and no bucking #1 above by such devious means as stating the item is free, but shipping is $25).

Optional information:
    g. Label, Year of Release, Genre, Other details about the album (guest musicians on the album, funky inserts/sleeves etc.).

4. When an item is no longer available, either because it has been sold, traded, or taken off the table, please edit your post to indicate this.

5. “Wanted” item threads are allowed. Simply post a thread listing the albums and formats you are searching for. Anyone having an album from someone’s “Wanted” list for trade or give-away can reply to your thread.

6. Most important – chill out, have fun, and enjoy the music.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bolly

bolly Lunatic Member

fantastic! :thmbsp:

3. JDaniel

JDaniel Super Member

It might also be a good idea to put descriptive titles on your threads in this forum, such as:

Classic Rock LPs for trade

Classical Music Wanted

Jazz CDs for Trade

Linda Ronstadt Collection for trade

Free MOFI collection
    (just send these to me in a PM :D )

Just thinking out loud and trying to make this easier to use and search.

4. Manitoulin

Manitoulin A proud member of AK

Another reason AK is the place to be a member of.

5. jonman

jonman Addicted Member

Cool!!

6. Unican_Eric

Unican_Eric Pioneerious Collecticus

Now I just have to think about what I'm looking for :scratch2: and get my butt posting here.

7. Celt

Celt Peanut Head Staff Member Super Mod

:music: w00t! :music:

8. Jovinyl

Jovinyl Super Member

:thmbsp:

9. stuwee

stuwee Super Member

To the Moderator

Hello from way to perfect weather here in sunny after the floods of July and August southern AZ :banana: I saw nothing about DAT tapes, I'm now after much thought wanting to trade them off, can I do this here, I posted a thread and some folks wanted to know what I had? Please give me the OK and I'll do it :thmbsp:

Peace Craig

:music:

10. JDaniel

JDaniel Super Member

Forgive the moderator's ignorance, but I don't know what a DAT tape is.

Bottom line - if it is a commercially produced tape (or any other format) that was originally for sale, it's ok. If it is a recording of your own doing, it's not ok. Take those offers offline.

JD

11. onepixel

onepixel .

woah...I just found this place. I need to look around more. Great idea!

12. capeman51

capeman51 Member

Hi,

I'll trade my Marantz 5020 cassette deck for a Kyocera D-811 cassette deck. Works and looks perfectly! Also looking to trade for a Kyocera RC-101 Remote Control Center.

Also have lot's of Jethro Tull and James Taylor "live" CDs to trade.

13. John in MA

John in MA Respect the gamba tuba

DAT is a digital tape format common in the pro sound business, but is probably more popular for making audience concert recordings. I don't think much commercial album music has ever been on them.

14. birddog

birddog Addicted Member

I take it that means no "Blank" media will be allowed, like blank cassette tapes,DAT's,R2R. What if they were still in sealed packages? There must be some members with blank media, that may be interested in trading for commercial pre-recorded media (Or other blank media?). Would this fit in the spirit and framework of this forum? Kinda out in left field, I know, but I thought it might come up...

15. JDaniel

JDaniel Super Member

Blank trades are OK.

16. thedelihaus

thedelihaus Nocturnal transmissions

VHS & DVD permitted?

17. no1maestro

no1maestro Well-Known Member

This sounds like a great idea. I'll keep watch!!

18. drknstrmyknight

drknstrmyknight AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think we need a mailing list for "Free MOFI collection" posts, please sign me up.

In all seriousness, this is a wonderfull addition to an already great place, and I'm putting together my list of gots and wannas!

In all seriousness, I think we need to define a grading standard.
    On that note, I think there are two vinyl standards, one visual and one based on audition of the album.
    Regarding the former, we should use some accepted standard such as GEMM, on the latter, let's be honest.
    I've got plenty of platters that would grade out as visually NM on GENM but when auditioned sowedr serious surface noise and clicks and pops.

We need a standard.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  19. shacky

shacky Addicted Member

This sounds like great idea. I've got a bunch of LP's I never listen to and others could really appreciate. Will make a list soon.

20. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

I have a ton of vinyl that I KNOW I'll never listen to. Some are 10" 33rpm's a whole box of 45's and a bunch of albums of artists that just aren't what I would consider stuff I'd be spinning. I'll spend a few days getting a list comprised, would love to see someone enjoy them instead of them sitting around here begging to be played. Especially since I don't have a turntable yet.