So, what kind of an ending do you prefer?

Quadman2

Lunatic Member
The wifey and I got into a discussion, bordering on arguing bout how each of us prefer a certain kind of ending to a movie.

Personally, I prefer a realistic ending as possible, and leave it as a Walt Disney or tragic ending. Sometimes I like to experience one that kinda leaves you up in the air. The wife hates this type!

Anyways, was just curious as to what and how others think about how the movies end.

Q

Last edited:
I'm not sure if E.T. would have been as popular if Gov't agents had shot Elliot on his bike and captured ET, and locked him up in a secret underground base.

Don't like the "up in the air" endings. Makes me feel like I wasted my time watching the whole movie only to end up with no resolution at the end.

Undoubtly, the movie makers will know.
If the ending is wrong, they will not make any money and it will end up as a "lesser movie", whether it is a good movie or not.

Kinda depends,,, if the show was really good,,, leaving it "up in the air" a little, allows for a prequel to fit in well?? Thinking of Breaking Bad/Saul, as I write this... ( I realize its not a movie!!)

I bet this could be a TRAP question in a job interview to ferret out ones political affiliation.

I like the kind of ending that throws a real spanner in the works and has you watching the whole deal again.

Fight Club, The Usual Suspects, Momento, The Sixth Sense etc.

Don't like the "up in the air" endings. Makes me feel like I wasted my time watching the whole movie only to end up with no resolution at the end.

I hear you on this aspect. There are times the contrived ending sets up the crowd for a sequel, esp if the first was well received.

I bet this could be a TRAP question in a job interview to ferret out ones political affiliation.

A valid point. I hear that the questions for job interviews are becoming a lot more...subversive, in that they (the employers) try to read between the line of the different responses that they offer to the usually open questions .

Q

Last edited:
I'm fine with wrenches, provided it provides some sort of closure to the show or movie. If there is no resolution it just seems incomplete to me. Its also very possible to have a complete movie while still allowing for a sequel. Think Godfather and Godfather II. Both can stand on their own just fine. Even stuff like Star Wars, each is a chapter in a overarching story but each movie can be watched on it's own and you still have a story.

I'm fine with wrenches, provided it provides some sort of closure to the show or movie. If there is no resolution it just seems incomplete to me. Its also very possible to have a complete movie while still allowing for a sequel. Think Godfather and Godfather II. Both can stand on their own just fine. Even stuff like Star Wars, each is a chapter in a overarching story but each movie can be watched on it's own and you still have a story.

Did you see No Country for Old Men? If so, how did you find the ending on that one? A lot of people were dis-satisfied but I was happy with it. There was a story but no real conclusion in a traditional sense.

No Country for Old Men was my 1st thought.
I watched that movie 3 or 4 times and I guess I was expecting a different ending each time.
It was a damn good flick but the ending blowed.

Then there was "Second Hand Lions", which offered TWO endings. I liked the second one better than the one they finished the show off with.

And this movie could have used yet a third...wherein the two uncles might have faked their demise, as they were clever enough to have done it this way...which might have gone onto yet another movie with many more escapades with them in it. Least, that's just my POV.:bigok:

Q

Realistic about every part of our society and about how people actually live. The destructive greed, the loyal spouse that sacrificed everything and people that go out of their way to help others. The good, bad and the ugly. But most importantly inspirational motivation that causes people to consider others and not what money buys....

Back
Top Bottom