So What Was

CarlV

Lunatic Member
the SINGLE worst group you had to sit through to see
who you bought your ticket for?
My Single worst group I had to sit through to see Mahogany Rush then Black Sabbath was a group called:
Ruby Starr and The Gray Ghost
How 'bout you? :puke:

Carl

Had to sit through the bands Victory and Autograph to see the Scorpions. Most gawd awful 80's shit I ever heard !

Another would be Motley Crue to see Kiss. No one knew who the hell were and they sounded terrible. Got booed off the stage after less then a 1/2 hour :D

In the seventies I went to see Foghat and Blue Oyster Cult. The opening act was Point Blank and they were awful beyond belief. I kept wondering who hired these buffoons and why? :wtf:

Chicago.....at the Knob (Pine Knob Music Theater...Now DTE energy music Theater...) north of Detroit...to see the Moody Blues.....

The Moodies opened for Chicago...Believe it or not!!...But we stayed for most of the Chicago show....It was terrible...all those crappy Peter Cetera Tunes....(gag)....:puke:

It was defenatly a Moody Blues crowd...2/3 of the people there, left after the Moodies were done with their set...In retrospect...we shouldav'e left too........

Too bad they filmed the Chicago show ..for ABC ....

Can't think of worse off hand, but how are these for strange........

John Sebastian opening for Deep Purple??????

J. Geils Band opening for It's A Beautiful Day

Good stuff, just very different.

The Allman Brothers did have some dipps named "God Street Wine" open for them back in 1996. :puke: :puke:

Last edited:
I do have a close runner up. They were called Pablo Cruise:puke:
They really stunk up the late Circle Star Theater before Spirit came
on and Randy California put on one of the most incredible shows
of power metal guitar I have ever seen. We miss ya Randy.

Carl

The Soft Machine, The Chambers Bros., Janis Joplin w/Big Brother were all on stage before Hendrix. The Soft Machine was ultimately forgettable. August 1968 was the time frame.

Now the absolute worst was The Bob Seger System (Yes, THAT Bob Seger) opening for Zappa's "Grand Wazoo" at Madison Square Garden's "Felt Forum". 1973.
They were booed off the stage before their first song ended. BYE-BYE!!!!! They did NOT open the next night.

Toasted Almond

I've sat through quite a few opening acts. Some were great (Kenny Wayne Shepperd, The Pixies), some were weird (Sonic Youth), and some sucked (Candlebox). The absolute worst had to be a short-lived grunge act called Mudhoney. They were plucked out of Seattle when ANY band from Seattle was deemed to be the next big thing. They opened up for Pearl Jam, and were absolutely horrid. The probably never set foot in North Carolina again after that crowd was through with them!

Hey! Wait a minute!

I LIKE Pablo Cruise!

How about Love Will Find a Way, Whatcha Gonna Do, and....er...

OK, maybe they weren't so good:eek: ;)

Yea.......... Pablo Cruise......Actually Dave Jenkins is a great Underated guitar player....and their "Not Top 40" tunes were the best...Part of the Game ..was by far their best effort...and that was after their radio airplay days....

I defenatly have to say ..."Dont Knock it till you try it!!".......

Pablo Curise was made up of A couple members of 'It's A Beautiful Day' ......

Part Of The Game

Last edited:
I went to a Jethro Tull concert last year, and I had to sit through "The Young Dubliners" show first. Never again.

Originally posted by reyneman
Hey! Wait a minute!

I LIKE Pablo Cruise!

How about Love Will Find a Way, Whatcha Gonna Do, and....er...

Ray, Stop! You're scaring me! :eek:

Don, I was there at Davies too, a bar band for sure. Tull was sure great!

Gary, What can I say, I saw the show in '76 and sets like that,
well, you lose interest in anything after not that I liked them before. Kinda like Aerosmith in '75, but I did like them.

Carl

Originally posted by Toasted Almond
The Soft Machine, The Chambers Bros., Janis Joplin w/Big Brother were all on stage before Hendrix. The Soft Machine was ultimately forgettable. August 1968 was the time frame.

Now the absolute worst was The Bob Seger System (Yes, THAT Bob Seger) opening for Zappa's "Grand Wazoo" at Madison Square Garden's "Felt Forum". 1973.
They were booed off the stage before their first song ended. BYE-BYE!!!!! They did NOT open the next night.

Toasted Almond

Is the felt forum the same area were they just heald the nfl draft?

Boost,

I'm not sure cause I'm not into pro sports too much. It's about a 5,000 seat, very nicely appointed theater or concert hall, on the Madison Square Garden's grounds.

As for the best warm-up band I ever saw, that would be The Persuasions, warming up for Zappa & The Mothers, at Carnegie Hall, 1971. An all-black, accapella group that absolutely brought down the house. We called them back for three encores. Wish Bob Seger could've been there (in the audience).

Toasted Almond

Tesla opening for Alice Cooper.

Me and my two buds stood around in the lobby talking shit and smoking cigarettes til they finally stopped.

While we were there some huge blond walked past us giving us the eye. She looked to be 7 feet tall. She later turned up on stage in of Cooper's skits. I still kick myself in the ass for not speaking to her. We might have gotten backstage. That's what my fantasies tell me at least.

Wasn't the opening act, but suffered thru an Allman Bros. "concert" in Knoxville a few yrs back. Outside, late August, MISERABLY hot 'n' sticky. Crowd was surly. Overpriced memorabilia, drinks, the whole thing stunk. They played one song that had a "drum solo" -actually some guy beatin' a cowbell- for 45 minutes. Most everybody went to the can during that. Kinda glad to get home.-Sandy G.

June 1973 - RFK stadium
The Grateful Dead and the Allman Bros.

The A.bros come out for a 10:30 sound check with "One way Out" for 20 min then dissapear. The crowd is psyched!!

at 11:30(or so) a warm up band named Wet Willie(Sham-bam-a-ling-dong) comes out and 50,000 tripping heads BOOOOO these guys off after 2 or 3 songs. :uzi:

QuarterFlash in 1983 before Bob Seger at the Toledo Speedway Jam!!

BTW Toasted Almond you do realize that Bob Seger is in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, he had a PRETTY good career!!!! :p:

Originally posted by e2e4c7c5
BTW Toasted Almond you do realize that Bob Seger is in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, he had a PRETTY good career!!!! :p:

Living in Detroit, Bob Seger is THE local Rock God. But before "Live Bullet" he was basically, just another Midwest bar band banger, like Cheap Trick, Ted Nugent, Styx, REO Speedwagon and others who also later made it big.

I remember back in Milwaukee we had a place by the lakefront called the Alternate Site where all the hippie types would gather and bands would play on Sunday afternoons. Lots of fun and good music. Well, one time Seger played there and the turnout was disappointing; hardly anyone showed. He was the one hit wonder then. I caught him though opening for BTO later and the show he did then was the one eventually taped somewhere for "Live bullet" and that was SWEET. BTO rocked too!

Back
Top Bottom