So, whats the story here ? (DVDA)

GeniX

Apparently with new MLP technology for storage, more hours, no compression, any number of channels. Sounds good.

So this format wont play in my DVD player downstairs then? (Sony DVDP NS-300). But the DVDA's support DD5.1 too?

Doesnt the extra DD5.1 info mean less hours as the same music is stored in two (or more) formats on the disc?

--

Also, is DVDA the real answer to the HDCD/SACD wars? Fill me in - I been looking around, but despite the multitude of google hits, few go into more detail than 'has MLP, new players ship soon'

I guess it almost answers my question tho'.

Have you been here ?

http://www.digitalaudioguide.com/faq/dvd-audio/faq_intro.htm

Basically DVD-A is a development of the familiar DVD-Video disc, as such it is closer to the video medium than Sony's SACD, which is a strictly audio medium.

The high quality non-lossy compressed audio track is only accessible through a designated DVD-A player.

DD and DTS tracks may be optional.

Frankly I've so far been less than impressed by DVD-A and SACD.
Nothing I've heard has made me want to dump my faithfull Redbook CD player.

As for surround sound music.....ughhh

It doesn't do it for me.

cheerio

Last edited:

I had not seen that link! Thanks very much!!

The questions on that link are pretty much the exact ones Im asking in a round about way at the moment...

You're welcome.

That was one of the first hits that came up when I searched for "DVD-Audio" on Google.

After your preliminary homework the next task will be to find a dealer who can offer a decent audtion...lots of luck in NZ !!!

IMO most NZ dealers are next to useless :(

I'm in the lower Nth Island , where are you located ?

cheerio

Well you certainly searched the smarter option. Shows what a couple of keywords difference can make - even if they're on the same topic.

-

I do find NZ retailers to be useless. They either know nothing of how to use or set up the equipment, or they are upmarket hi-fi, and dont want any hassle unless you have lots of money and guarentee a sale. But I wont whine on about that in this thread - Ive done so elsewhere!

-

I live in Lower Hutt. Work in Wellington. You?

If its multi channel music you want then SACD has more titles available than DVD-A, but in NZ we're probably talking maybe 200-400 titles max I would guess.

Also don't discount the DTS mixes that are available - I have "The Who Live at Albert Hall". Its very clean and sounds great, but I don't care for the surround music experience either and so I play it in stereo.

I note that some of the other guys here recently have been singing the praises of SACD, but for me the poor uptake by recording labels is what would hold me back from making the transition.

I'm waiting for the next big thing in the format wars - one that will be widely supported both by recording labels and the technology manufacturers alike.

Hi GeniX,

Hutt Valley/Wellington huh ?

Guess you know all about Sound Expression, Soundline, the clowns at Associated Radio and the museum that is WT Audio

;)

I'm north of you , in the Horowhenua.

Hi Walt,

I WISH there were 200--400 SACDs here !

Maybe over in Oz but Sony is useless here.
They sell SACD and SACD/DVD players but with minimal promotion and no promotion of software at all.

I've seen SACDs in the Sony Style Shops but very few in the usual music retailers. These guys are so clueless.

DVD-Audio discs are a little more abundant but the same clueless retailers regularly confuse them with DVD-Video discs and the rare DAD 24/96 discs.

Add the high price ($50NZD) to the rarity of stock and it's not surprising that few even know of the existance of SACD/DVD-A.

Most of the DD/DTS music on DVD-V leaves me cold, so most of my silver music is on good ol' Redbook CD.

I've given up waiting for the next big thing.
There's more than enough good music available NOW on existing formats to last the rest of my lifetime.

:)

cheerio

yah michael,

Ive been to 'em all - multiple times. Theres some nice gear around, and the local dealers vary so much in their approaches. Soundline seem to be audiophile like-- very much treating what I would consider expensive gear as if it were just a pair of cheap warehouse stock ! Sound Expression, however, are like the Bond&Bond of hifi :)

Im very surprised that the local 'hi-fi' industry dont push DVD-A much. A few of them are pushing SACD a bit-- having said all that, I havent bought anything from the aforementioned.

My speakers all happen to come from Absolute Audio (they seem to do the right speakers for me in my price range), and equipment is from the Listening Post (Hamilton).
--

Hey Walt, where are you in aussie? Im going to Melbourne for a few days (Australian Game Developers Conference) at the end of the year.. is that near you?

GeniX,

no, I'm in Sydney, so maybe another time ...

Michael,

I was being generous when I said 200-400 titles. Over here there are probably that many but again, you have to do a fair amount of scrounging to dig them up. SACD has a larger presence due to the confusion I suspect at the consumer level between DVD-V and DVD-A.

But the number of titles pales into insignificance compared to Redbook and vinyl.

:)

Back
Top Bottom