So...... Which big brand will roll out the "retro" look first???

I think that might be "reissue", not "retro".

Reissue:
p1_un1xupoyw_ss.jpg

Retro:
images

It doesn't seem like there is enough demand for something like what you mention. I mean enough demand for someone to develop it, market it, and produce it for low prices.

Even with the economy of scale of iPhones, they can cost a grand. A guitar amplifier, with their reasonable demand and low-design-cost is a couple of grand. And that amp's "development" stopped 50 years ago.

What is nice, though, is that right now is the golden-age of sound. The quality you can get has never been better. If you love vintage, that still exists. If you love the ultimate in high-end, that exists too.

Much like the car shown above. People may think of 60s/70s "muscle cars" as great, but the reality is... today's cars will smoke those cars in every single way. Performance, power numbers, comfort, reliability, gas mileage, low-maintenance.... we have it all these days.

Not a market for what I described? Better tell McIntosh, Levinson and some others. Such features they are doing now will trickle down, if history is any indication, to more affordable brands/models. That's what I think.

Function first and foremost,
aesthetics second.
I don't care what it looks like,
it has to sound good.

Fashion changes quickly, I know there's a market for this stuff, but I feel that we have reached 'peak retro', and the next big thing is just around the corner.
I think that any company chasing the retro dollar deserves to get their fingers burnt.

Just my observation.
See your point, but sometimes I think we lunatics (do to our long standing interests) are a bit further down the "retro-weary" curve, the rest of the masses probably still have a rather large appetite, hence why I could see that Crosley thing possibly doing reasonably well...

That's cool looking, It's like a Harman Sansui McIntosh Or maybe more realistically it's a 21st century Lloyds/Soundesign. I can't say I want one, but I would sure like to try one.

I have no desire to hear it at all, though it does have a faux cool look. But I feel quite sure the sound will be dismal, to put it kindly. If I'm wrong, then good, hope I am (know I ain't).

I have no desire to hear it at all, though it does have a faux cool look. But I feel quite sure the sound will be dismal, to put it kindly. If I'm wrong, then good, hope I am (know I ain't).

It's got a mag cartridge, it can't be THAT dismal. Have you noticed their Dieter Rams Braun rip offs? Those are even more cool looking than this one.

Function first and foremost,
aesthetics second.
I don't care what it looks like,
it has to sound good.

Fashion changes quickly, I know there's a market for this stuff, but I feel that we have reached 'peak retro', and the next big thing is just around the corner.
I think that any company chasing the retro dollar deserves to get their fingers burnt.

Just my observation.

Agree 100%.I chase the best sound quality I can afford on a budget. That means I've a mix of silver, black, and red / gold components. They all seem to look good together despite aesthetics not being the main deciding factor. I don't think I've anything really retro though.

Wonder how much a five-or-greater-gang analog tuner would have to sell for these days?

I would be more inclined to wonder if there is anyone left who could design or manufacture one.And I'm just talking about the tuning capacitor itself. I can imagine the current crop of digital dimwits trying to engineer a slide rule tuning mechanism;some fool would probably use it for his thesis:rflmao:

Wow that’s like the best horn speaker I’ve seen . Dono how to make enough to afford a pair but I bet it beats most speakers out!! Probably a contender for best speaker period Tannoy looks amazing!!:beerchug:
Cheers to awsome vintage looking speakers!

You really need to expand your horizons. You may find what many others have found. That horns are not the be all end all speakers. Of course after hearing a variety of speakers if you still think horns are better go with them. I'm only trying to get you to make the effort to listen to something other than the Klipsch's you have and quite obviously like.

FWIW: The only horns I've ever liked were a pair of Avant Garde Trio's. They need a good sized room and are rather pricey.

You really need to expand your horizons. You may find what many others have found. That horns are not the be all end all speakers. Of course after hearing a variety of speakers if you still think horns are better go with them. I'm only trying to get you to make the effort to listen to something other than the Klipsch's you have and quite obviously like.

FWIW: The only horns I've ever liked were a pair of Avant Garde Trio's. They need a good sized room and are rather pricey.

I'm pretty sure I'll hit the Mega Millions tonight, and have been saying for many years that as soon as I do I'm ordering the Trio. Not sure what color I want, though. Decisions, decisions.

I'm pretty sure I'll hit the Mega Millions tonight, and have been saying for many years that as soon as I do I'm ordering the Trio. Not sure what color I want, though. Decisions, decisions.
Well, if you're that sure you should just go ahead and order them.

Well, if you're that sure you should just go ahead and order them.

Turned out my ESP was mis-tuned, I won't hit until Tuesday, but it will be a larger amount. I'm considering going ahead and ordering those Trios, but, no, I don't want to tempt fate in such a way. Could jinx the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom