So which modern speakers

cunningr

Looking at vintage speakers and prices has made me curious as to what modern speakers to watch for on the second hand market.

Anyone have any suggestions for modern speakers that would work with vintage amplifier.

Looking at vintage speakers and prices has made me curious as to what modern speakers to watch for on the second hand market.

Anyone have any suggestions for modern speakers that would work with vintage amplifier.
Pretty much any speaker available (there are exceptions of course) will work with a vintage amplifier. The question is of too broad a scope to answer realistically. More info will be needed. Which amplifier? Describe the room, dimensions, carpet or bare floor, uncovered windows etc. What genres of music and at what expected sound levels?
:)

Really depends on the sensitivity of the speakers themselves and the power of the amp.
Many of the vintage amps were not particularly high watt.

I had great luck with modern Polks and a vintage Technics receiver, and Klipsch and Kenwood are similarly fantastic. Pairing warm with bright, bright with warm, and you can’t go wrong.

You have a good point. I have a carver tfm35, room concrete no carpet but planning to put some down in the main listening zone. 1 small window high no curtains. Room is 55 square meters roughly if I remember correctly.

Floor-standing or bookshelf?
Budget, $50? $500? $5000?
How much power do you have?
How big is the room?
Are placement options limited? How much space between the speaker and the walls behind and lateral to them?
How loud do you want to go?
Do you want a particular finish (eg, walnut)?

The OP answered at least one of these as I posted.

How big is the room?
Are placement options limited? How much space between the speaker and the walls behind and lateral to them?

And how do you like to listen, and what kinds of music do you favor, etc etc.

These questions come up so regularly that we really need a sticky (or do we have one?) with all the basic questions so that we can refer people to them.

How big is the room?
Budget let’s say $500 to $1200. Power 225 watts 8 ohms room 55 square meters concrete basement placement width can be about 8 feet.

And how do you like to listen, and what kinds of music do you favor, etc etc.

These questions come up so regularly that we really need a sticky (or do we have one?) with all the basic questions so that we can refer people to them.
I like it loud Chief if Staff don’t so something can get crank but works well at mid ranges with out blowing away neighbour or wife. Lol. Theses days music flavor Blues, classic rock metal and jazz depending mood

I like it loud Chief if Staff don’t so something can get crank but works well at mid ranges with out blowing away neighbour or wife. Lol. Theses days music flavor Blues, classic rock metal and jazz depending mood

Heh...that's definitely good, relevant information! Now, are you sensitive to high frequency notes more than the average person, would you say? I presume you like solid bass meanwhile.

How high is the ceiling? And what country are you in? UK or OZ?

Budget let’s say $500 to $1200. Power 225 watts 8 ohms room 55 square meters concrete basement placement width can be about 8 feet.

Do you have the luxury of pulling them well into the room? Almost 600 sq feet is a nice size room, so I guess floor-standing is what you want.

I'm a Monitor Audio fan. A used pair of Silver 8 would be great for that size room. Or Silver 10.

These models were discontinued just a few months ago, and can still be found new, and perhaps decently discounted.

Last edited:
Do you have the luxury of pulling them well into the room? Almost 600 sq feet is a nice size room, so I guess floor-standing is what you want.

I'm a Monitor Audio fan. A used pair of Silver 8 would be great for that size room.

Plus they may be local....I'm betting on UK here

Haha Spain! Don’t really want to pull them out too far. Still getting the room sorted. My sons drums take up quite a bit of room and one corner I am cleaning and turning into a mini recording/practice zone wife kicking me and my guitars out of the dining Room. Plane is carpet 12 foot by 12 foot area to dedicated listening space.

Oh ceiling is probably 12 feet maybe bit more. Cement room is an echo chamber so I have to figure out a tasteful way to address some of the reflections.

Now see if you were in US or Canada, and you weren't too sensitive to high frequencies (for whatever reason) I'd recommend Klipsch Fortes for head banging. Hmm Spain right next to France where they make Focals. And Italy's not too far off where Sonus Fabers come from. Britain also offers Tannoy, Quad, and Wharfedale. But I think you should check out the Monitors that Musichal mentioned. Or the previous generation of the same speakers i.e. RX6 (pic below).

Granted there is also this thing called shipping and many come from China anyway....

The high ceiling will help but yes room treatments will be in order.
We have many threads here on that particular issue!

Saw a pair of JBL towers for 250 euros on one of the resell sites here’s can’t remember the model though.

I am expat can use USPS still. But hopefully can get some good idea of some speakers to watch for. Focales are expensive here to, I bought some Hertz Mille from Poland new for $550 for my car.

Back
Top Bottom