So...who's planning on coming?

No problem. If you still decide you need an amp, let me know before I leave at 6am Thursday...

BTW.. I didn't get out the Howard's. I left them as I wrapped them. I just have way too much going on before I leave.

You are correct that a watt is a watt on the lower end of power required, a 10 watt SS amp if beefy enough, might be able to drive them but you won't be able to crank it as much as you can with a 10w Tube amp and still enjoy it. Our 10 watt 300B SET Tube Amp sounds wonderful with them and is one of the amps I used to voice them. The Quinpu A-3 Hybrid amp we carry, 10 watts hybrid doesn't really drive them right nor have the grip to control the bass properly when you push the amp, thats the only 10 watt SS amp I have.

A spec is based on a qualifying factor, tubes is usually @ 1%THD, Solid state is usually @ 0.1 THD or less, tubes can be driven depending on the tube up to 20% THD and still sound great, SS above say 0.5% THD start to get pretty annoying, this is why many feel that a tube amp can be compared to a SS amp of twice the power as being as powerful.

Hope that helps,
Ian

and thanks a lot for the offers, Ian and James. however, Retro's is hard to turn down since I have his amp already!

Your welcome, we will have about 8 amps on hand at the show, anyone is more than welcome to borrow one to try or use in their rooms.

Cheers,
Ian

OK.. yep.. that helps.. Kind of why I was thinking they were speced as they are, but wasn't sure.

good god man, i didn't even think of that! and the Classe's literally sitting only ten feet away from my Yamaha. not sure i'd have felt comfortable asking anyway if i had thought of it. are you sure? we'd take extra good care of it at all times, of course.

i'm going up to Scott's on Thursday night to bring my gear and your amp. i've been shotgunning new transistors into the PC5002M and as of last night did manage to get the noise floor noticeably lower, so i want to test it out first on his 4.5's - i'll make the call then i guess.

and thanks a lot for the offers, Ian and James. however, Retro's is hard to turn down since I have his amp already!

I'll be heading down to Scott's on Friday morning early. I'll be leaving here around 5:00 AM and that will put me at Scott's at 8:00 AM, you guys just make sure you're ready to go!

And as far as this:

"not sure i'd have felt comfortable asking anyway if i had thought of it. are you sure? we'd take extra good care of it at all times, of course."

Not a problem as Glenn will be getting it for a "tune-up" after the Fest anyway, but if you could make sure it's handled with the "extra good care" you mention above, that's all I ask. Besides, it will give me a chance to hear it before Glenn gets it too.

Retro

Hey.. BTW.. what time are you all going to be there Friday Chris? I'll have loaded these things twice by myself by the time I get there, I'm not gonna unload them again alone.. FREAKIN HEAVY AS SHIT!!!!!!

Hey.. BTW.. what time are you all going to be there Friday Chris? I'll have loaded these things twice by myself by the time I get there, I'm not gonna unload them again alone.. FREAKIN HEAVY AS SHIT!!!!!!

We've usually gotten there sometime between 5 & 6 PM in past years.

Retro

That's cool. Thanks Retro.. I hope to be there around 4 or so myself, so I'll just wait until Chris calls me then to meet up.

canuck comming

:banana:I will be comming. My 1st time (virgin). I will bring a cd of "Deep Purple" 'Machine Head". I want to hear it on your systems.

:banana:I will be comming. My 1st time (virgin). I will bring a cd of "Deep Purple" 'Machine Head". I want to hear it on your systems.

i hope a lot of people bring a CD or two. hopefully we can accommodate a lot of requests in our room.

Retro, i think i'll just plan on bringing the Classe then - one less 130lb amp to put in the car!

I'll be cruising in on Friday around 5 PM or so, with Piece-it-Pete. Just look for the red Mustang with the chrome rims :D

Yes, but . . .

I can already see my chiropractor shaking his head when I return.

Worse, I can see my 17 year old Volvo 240 wagon shaking its head. (2 years ago it 'shed' its right rear shock in OH hitting an un-indicated 2" rise in highway pavement height at 70+ mph.)

This may require single malt nerve-steadying medication. :D

Yes! Forget the day trip I mentioned - thanks to our fearless bald starship captain I'm there till Sunday! :banana:

Thanks Tim, I can't believe how happy I am. No 'shine this year though. Just rubbing alcohol.

Pete

I'll see everyone there. My Chivas Regal Scotch in tow and ready for the good time.
I'm spending the entire weekend at the hotel -- So say Hi if you see me.
James (JHS2RT)

Back
Top Bottom