So You Want To Repair Audio gear, Eh? Here's the tools you need...

Thanks for this great list of suggestions and discussion. Is there a check list of what one should do before we start pulling componets.

I only mention. Because this is a great thread, and we should give beginners the next step on their journey to becomming expert techs.

As a beginner, once I buy my tools, shouldn't i be thinking safety before I take a screwdriver to my receiver?

What's that hissing noise he says, bending over a slowly expanding electrolytic capacitor?

"And remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these — safety glasses." -Norm Abram, The New Yankee Workshop

Pull the plug & discharge HV and large capacitors with a resistor. Keep one hand in pocket or behind your back when working on powered equipment.

Move all tools in a circular motion, around the equipment in front of you, not over it, because dropped tools land where they can do the most damage.

That W+G selective meter is nice. I've got an old HP. Their selective meter was actually their low frequency spectrum analyzer, with all controls intact, but with a meter movement rather than a CRT. Works great with a scope tied to the X-Y outputs. In all honesty, I've probably only used it only a handful of times in all the years I've had it. Max frequency is 60 kHz, where as the W+G is a more generous 200 kHz.

Last edited:
Eico 324 Signal generator

Just wondering what you think of the Eico 324 signal generator for stereo repair, I use to use one a lot for alignment of old shortwave radios with band coverage from .55 to 30Mhz. ?? Thanks

Got some downtime while waiting for some parts, and since I had made this list for a friend after giving it all a lot of thought, I figured that I might share with you my findings...

yeah well.....i cant solder for junk.

i bought what i thot was a good soldering gun....maybe not.

wellerws51 ...i think.

seems to surge off and on. melts the solder and it hardens on the tip before i can carry it.

i hate me some times.

sansuigirl

Just a small soldering gun and good rosin core solder and flux is all you need. I used Weller in the 70's but not anymore, in fact I have one in a case I never use. If your Weller has screws holding the tip in make sure the screws are tight, they lose connection sometimes when the iron gets hot, keep the tip clean by dipping the hot tip in the flux ever so often. Should work as Weller was a good one in it's day.

Last edited:
OK newbie question..since the OP is about 4 years old.
I understand the tools needed are the still the same.
But have some of the models of equipment changed or are there newer better brands/model available today or has the OP been updated to reflect what a buyer should be shopping for today?

Thanks
PQ

The OP is too long to edit...the Admins have since shortened the maximum length of a post, unfortunately, so I cannot edit it. But if you have a specific question, I and others would certainly try to assist.

Thanks EW
I have decided to dip my toe a little deeper in the hobby & try recapping some speaker crossovers & the speed control board on my HK T65.

I am not trying to diagnose problems but rather do preventative maintenance.

So I am thinking that a a sound investment is buying a good soldering iron & a desolder gun.

Is there a hobbyist version of the Hako FR 300 & the Weller WESD51
that will work fine for someone who uses the tools a couple of hours a week or on week ends, verses a “It needs to run 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year for years" pro unit?

Thanks for advising a newbie.
PQ

Those are, for all practical purposes, hobbyist tools. If you're looking to save a few bucks, maybe the Aoyue 937+ might fit the bill. I've heard comments that the Aoyue is built kinda cheap, but you'll always get what you pay for.

Stay away from these units. Weller also has the exact same model with a different color plastic base & sells it for over twice that much. These are NOT temp controlled irons, and are not recommended.

@ EW
Thanks for your clarification.
Is this a good set up for my needs or is there something else that you would suggest at this price point?

Thanks again
PQ

Thanks EW for taking the time to start such a very informative thread. I came in search of a DMM recommendation and ended up reading this entire thread. Thanks Again.:thmbsp:

Last edited:
Thanks EW for taking the time to start such a very informative thread. I came in search of a DMM recommendation and ended up reading this entire thread. Thanks Again.:thmbsp:

Thank you for bumping the thread! I couldn't remember which forum I had seen this on, but wanted to reread it.

Hi guys great reading for a new guy. EchoWars do you still recommend the peak tester you posted the link to because I am thinking about purchasing one. My awesome wife is going to get the hakko 888d for me for a fathers day gift. Still a little confused on the multi meter get one with auto ranging and true rms or just auto ranging, any input on that would also be a great help. It is amazing what you can learn from others who are willing to take time to help and post things like this. Thanks again. Bob.

Thanks a lot that one looks to have everything echowars has suggested to have on a meter. Bar graph ,auto ranging and true rms. Thanks again for the link. Bob.

I have updated to some better equipment. B&K E-200D RF Signal Generator that replaces the Eico 324 I was using,, Tektronix 2225 50 MHz oscilloscope, GW Instek GFG-8250A function generator and a B&K Precision 1655 AC power supply with two isolated outputs. I no longer have the Sprague capacitor checker just the little Tif. Still have the Simpson 360. I now want a Digital Meter and one that has the button you push to compensate for the test leads. Anyone have suggestions for the DMM to get?

One of the first reasons I signed up to these forums. Big shout out to all involved in the evolution and construction of this thread!

Back
Top Bottom