So You Want To Repair Audio gear, Eh? Here's the tools you need...

Great thread, thanks EW.

I'm a long time lurker on this fine forum...but not really much of a poster. In any case, I do have something of a love affair with vintage Marantz and Phase linear gear, and over the years I've accumulated a good deal of equipment. Some of it (maybe most of it) would benefit from some level of restoration. I'm trying to teach myself and learning as I go, so this thread will be a valuable guide to getting set up to do that work.

I've read that the Metcal Soldering stations are very good units so I just recently purchased a used STSS-002 for $200. It came with with an assortment of 6 brand new soldering heads, several new sponges, a couple rolls of very fine solder, a solder sucker, a new set of cutters, and various other small tools and parts. Did I do good, or would I have been better off with a Hakko?

Probably more in the misc tools/aids area.......

I "borrowed" these from my crafty wife.... invalualbe for someone with old eyes like mine. Can be used with/without glasses, lightweight and come with two different magnification lenses.

hands free magnifier.jpg

EDIT : great thread by the way EW !!!

Last edited:
I've read that the Metcal Soldering stations are very good units so I just recently purchased a used STSS-002 for $200. It came with with an assortment of 6 brand new soldering heads, several new sponges, a couple rolls of very fine solder, a solder sucker, a new set of cutters, and various other small tools and parts. Did I do good, or would I have been better off with a Hakko?
Metcal is great stuff. I don't know the model numbers offhand, or how old the STSS models are, but as long as you can still get heaters and tips for them you're fine.

The advantage of the Hakko is cost. If you're willing to spend more, there's better stuff out there.

Great, thanks for the reply EW. As I said, I'd done some research and had read good reviews on Metcal, but it's reassuring to see confirmation from this forum. Based on what I've read here over the past year or so I've got a great deal of respect for your abilities and opinions. New Metcal units are very expensive, but I think I got a good deal on an older STSS and I'm pretty sure new tips are still available, in fact I believe some of the current production units use the same tips.

Probably more in the misc tools/aids area.......

I "borrowed" these from my crafty wife.... invalualbe for someone with old eyes like mine. Can be used with/without glasses, lightweight and come with two different magnification lenses.

View attachment 244636

EDIT : great thread by the way EW !!!

Interesting magnifier.:yes: What brand/model # and where available?

Thanks

hi, i've just been offered a - Marconi TF2005R twin-tone low-distortion oscillator and attenuator. Will this be good enough for amplifer fault finding and testing?

thanks

Here is what my repair lair consist of:

Tektronix 465 O-scope ($50)
Fluke 87III ($50)
Tenma 10A Variac ($60)
Weller soldering station TC202 ($20)
HP 8640B Signal generator ($5...really...)

And If all goes well soon I will have a Sencore PA81 audio amplifier analyzer.

As you can see you can get what you need for pretty cheap if you wait it out/shop around.

One suggestion that I have is one of those lamps that clip on the side of a table with a magnifying glass built in.

I work in the electrical shop of a well known university. The shop has been there forever and as such there is a lot of old test equipment stuck away on shelves and not used because "it's old". Because I recently "got back into" the audio world, I've been picking up various bits of vintage gear, some of which are in need of repair. Today I had a look at some of the old test equipment we have and here's what I've found so far:

-A Hameg HM705 dual trace oscilloscope
-A Marconi Instruments TF 2016 AM/FM signal generator 10kHz-120mHz
-A Heathkit IP-32 regulated power supply 0-400 volts, 0-150 mA
-A Philips PM5160 oscillator 1Hz-1mHz
-A B&K 747 solid state tube tester
-A drawer full of vacuum tubes from the USA, USSR, Czech, etc

And thats what I found in the half hour before going home tonight. Who knows what I'll find tomorrow :scratch2:

I don't know if most of this stuff is useful for fixing stereo gear but figured I'd mention it here and wait for any feedback.

Keep in mind the high voltages found in tube amps. You might not like the shock from a cracked test lead when you touch it to the B+. Don't fool around with cue ball test clips or alligator clips around HV. That nice DVM held with your left hand and the neg lead clipped to the chassis can hurt you if the clip disconnects while you touch the plus lead in your right hand to that plate cap . Your workbench should have a conductive mat and wristband for working on modern stereos. This can be very hazardous at times with tube voltages. Turn the set over so it pinches your wristband between the mat and the chassis and you may as well be working with your feet in a grounded pan of salt water.

A variac is nice to have when powering up old equipment. Your Oscilloscope needs 10X probes. To align tuners and receivers requires a whole new assortment of expensive and cheap equipment: generators, attenuators, marker generators, detectors, and so on. Just troubleshooting and repair is much less demanding, most often just a signal (even from an antenna) is enough to follow to the problem.

It's a lot of fun and satisfying to design or troubleshoot gear, something like passing a daily IQ test. The money, alas, tends not to be commensurate with the skills and capital investment needed to make a go of it.

Speaking of variacs... For tube equipment, what kind of specs should one look for? I figure 0-130 V, but what kind of current draw are we looking at? Thread's been great so far.

Thanks EW! This thread is a wealth of information and a valuable resource. I never cease to be amazed at what "Yankee Ingenuity" can produce.

One thing I have had a problem with recently is hardware. These small metric screws are just getting harder to hold, and even harder to find once they hit the floor. I was considering buying a box of 3-0.5X30mm and then just cut them to the length I need.

I have an OLD pair of Super Champ "pliers" that is a crimper, wire stripper and bolt cutter (5 sizes), but they are for numbered machine screws. Do you know of any tool like this one that does a good job of cutting metric machine screws?

Speaking of variacs... For tube equipment, what kind of specs should one look for? I figure 0-130 V, but what kind of current draw are we looking at? Thread's been great so far.

Most things would be fine with a 3A unit, a 5A will do just about anything you need. 10A is nice and won't get very hot, but it's overkill.

I have an OLD pair of Super Champ "pliers" that is a crimper, wire stripper and bolt cutter (5 sizes), but they are for numbered machine screws. Do you know of any tool like this one that does a good job of cutting metric machine screws?
The local source carries only stainless metric stuff, so the champ pliers aren't going to work there. I make do...shop for the length I need, and if it's a tad long, a lockwasher and a flatwasher usually make it right.

I'm telling you Glenn, your a great guy, I know I know your heard it a billion times before but still you surprise me with your generosity always

bravo

Now I see why I joined this group. I have 2 (two) Marantz 1250 int. amps that I'm trying to get going in addition to a sizable pile of other vintage components. In my profession I do restoration work. But that's pipe organs. Generalization of expertise only goes so far. Expect questions.

Rek-Rag -101 signal generator

Has anybody actually bought one of these Chinese Signal Generators? I ordered one about 7 weeks ago and I'm waiting. Just curious. I'm sure customs and logistics a lot of it, I hope

Back
Top Bottom