Solar Eclipse - August 21st, 2017

Columbia, SC will see 2 1/2 minutes of totality.

That's the reason folks are flocking here by the thousands. In comparison Charleston, only 100 miles away, gets 1 minute and 40 seconds of totality.

From our location near Ravenna, NE, we're about as close to the centerline of totality as one can reasonably achieve.

Screenshot_2017-08-21-10-04-33.png

I love the media hype over the eclipse, and the stupid news stories they try to make out of a natural occurrence.

First, they report that there will be $700 million in loss of productivity due to people taking time off to view the eclipse.

No sh*t, Sherlock! Now tell how many billions of dollars have been spent by people in preparation - the parties,travel, sunglasses, vendor gouging, etc. I'm sure the money spent will more than offset an hour of non-productivity.

Then here in CA, PG&E is talking about the loss of power due to the decrease in output of their solar arrays and the need to come up with alternate supplies. What they DON'T figure in is the millions of people who will be effing off watching the eclipse and NOT using the power they might have. And, the estimated 20 degree drop in temperature will surely cause AC units to shut off for some time.

Did you know that the price of porta-potty rentals in parts of Oregon have quadrupled for the day? That ought to help the cash flow!!

I heard two guys talking this morning about how they were going to "see" it. One said he had heard that it could hurt your eyes so he was going to look at it with a mirror! I tried to set them straight. I just hope that very few people damage their vision.

I discovered my auto-dark welding hood is broke. I'll have to watch a simulation on the net, and observe the shadow effects first hand.

Our sky has a slight over-cast, no major clouds.

We're supposed to get about 98 % coverage at 1:10 pm.

Just starting in Kansas City.

Ba Ha Ha.

I typed a 'wise-guy' remark in the live chat, and the dude addressed me on live YouTube TV !

Last edited:
Suppose to be 60 percent in So Cal. Noticeably darker now but still pretty light.

Last edited:
Just got done watching it here in Boise. Didn't go the additional distance out of town to get 100% but I didn't want to deal with the thousands and thousands of others doing so! The funny thing is how much it cooled down while it was going on. Got a little chilly.

Just got done watching it here in Boise. Didn't go the additional distance out of town to get 100% but I didn't want to deal with the thousands and thousands of others doing so! The funny thing is how much it cooled down while it was going on. Got a little chilly.

Yeah 90% coverage in Salt Lake City and it got noticeably cooler outside.

It was cool !

We had full cloud cover roll in about 5 minutes before 'totality'.

I was able to view it directly, through the clouds.

Cicadas started making their noise like it was night time.

My daughter goes to college at The Citadel and it of course is 100% right there in Charleston. The school issued glasses to all the cadets.

The diameter of the sun is 400 times larger than the moon's, and the sun just so happens to be 400 times further away than the moon.

That's why we are getting a total eclipse.

Not going to happen on other planets.

I was out and about today. Both my neighbors were watching the eclipse with cardboard boxes. At Costco, I saw people looking at the sun with sun glasses. I'll watch it on YouTube tonight.

Back
Top Bottom