Solar power: Anyone got some advice to a rookie?

Unfortunately, we in SoCal cannot receive credits. Any excess energy generated is sold to other states and the corporation keeps the profits.
Talk about a disincentive. At least I was somewhat encouraged by the fact that my bill would fluctuate based on consumption and production, but I would get credit for any small excesses. If I was giving it back for free I doubt I would have even thought about going solar.

A few thoughts on the subject.
You can install a smaller system. While it may not produce as much. The outlay is smaller and you don't have to worry about losing surplus.
Another thing, while energy costs are reasonably low now, one issue in the middle East and prices can easily spike. It wasn't that long ago gas was over 3.00 (I think over 4.00 in CA. I know in Europe it can be 2.00 a liter , though I think most of that taxes)
It is somewhat of a hedge against inflation.
It still isn t right for everyone granted.
It's probably a lot more right for many who are unaware or just turned off

One other thought.
It just seems every company wants a monthly payment (maybe annual)
Electric, Gas, sewer/water, phone, cable,siriis, amazon prime,
I get you may have a well, septic, you may not get satellite radio, or prime,
Everyone's situation is unique.
Also you may be thinking , I'm only going to live here 2,3...10 more years why should I get involved.
Certainly not a one size fits all.
It is an idea whose time has come

Couple blocks from me, one of my neighbors did this in the last few months ...
They have a Prias in the driveway, too!

Ffx-Solar_4152.jpg

Nice lil' 2.5K or thereabouts on that house, Heather!
We have a row of 3 skylights midway across our roof ...
I'd consider a single row of panels across the peak of our roof just above the skylights - but I suspect a 100 foot oak in our front yard is in the way ...
Plus a 90 foot southern magnolia starts the shade the roof later in the day, like here.

The roof is taller than it looks, 2 stories on the front vs 1 story off the back
We got a new roof a few years back, and a new furnace/AC a few years before that, so our peak electric bill, mid-summer, stays under $200.

But its tempting, long term, to go for the green ...
here's what our shade is like by 4PM in early July

Home-Roof-4PM_4189.jpg Home-Roof-Side-4PM_4192.jpg

Last edited:
We have a row of 3 skylights midway across our roof ...
I'd consider a single row of panels across the peak of our roof just above the skylights - but I suspect a 100 foot oak in our front yard is in the way ...
We got a new roof a few years back, and a new furnace/AC a few years before that, so our peak electric bill, mid-summer, stays under $200.

But its tempting, long term, to go for the green ...

For above (or reinstall) those skylights:
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...d-make-every-window-and-screen-a-power-source

Honestly, if its not something ACTUALLY AVAILABLE for sale TODAY,
its just so much smoke and mirrors and should NOT be posted in a serious discussion of solar ...

No flames meant, but - this is not my first rodeo ...
FWIW- I actually worked for (local) Solar Cell manufacturer Solarex Corp back in the mid-70s ...
Later, Amoco bought a big piece of them, as did Enron, and it all rolled into British Petroleum ...

More geewhiz-Science wanna-be "concept" articles ...
its a 2014/2015 article and the product DOES NOT EXIST FOR SALE yet

Last edited:
This is just a small fraction, maybe 1/8 give or take, of a solar plant about 40 miles down the road. Not sure if they're actually on the grid yet. A fair amount of construction appears still taking place.

20170705_110557.jpg

I saw a huge plant like that on a drive between Lancaster PA and Frederick, Md a few years back.
Think there is another on the way back from Rehoboth DE.

Back in the 80s, (long after I left them) Solarex had a large "breeder" plant in Frederick Md -
completely powered by solar panels on the roof. But BP Solar moved production to their
Asian factories in 2010 and demolished that factory ...

solarex-04.jpg

Last edited:
next big audio thing, " Dual Solar Powered Monoblocks!!"
The DC buss in those inverters is actually sufficient to run a tube amp from. To be honest the thought did cross my mind, but the lack of regulation and lack of interest in voiding the warranty on the inverter pretty much killed that. I think it does run somewhere around 300vdc though.

I saw a huge plant like that on a drive between Lancaster PA and Frederick, Md a few years back.
Think there is another on the way back from Rehoboth DE.

Back in the 80s, (long after I left them) Solarex had a large "breeder" plant in Frederick Md - completely powered by solar panels on the roof. But BP Solar moved production to their Asian factories in 2010 and demolished that factory ...

View attachment 961969
I've had many such experiences with BP Solar... British Petroleum Solar... can everybody say "Green Washed"...

Honestly, if its not something ACTUALLY AVAILABLE for sale TODAY,
its just so much smoke and mirrors and should NOT be posted in a serious discussion of solar ...

No flames meant, but - this is not my first rodeo ...
FYI - I actually worked for (local) Solar Cell manufacturer Solarex Corp back in the mid-70s ...

More geewhiz-Science wanna-be "concept" articles ...
its a 2014/2015 article and the product DOES NOT EXIST FOR SALE yet

You're right.

I too worked for a local Solar Cell manufacturer... but not in the mid-70s... They had PV in the 70s????;). Totally kidding! :beerchug:

The DC buss in those inverters is actually sufficient to run a tube amp from. To be honest the thought did cross my mind, but the lack of regulation and lack of interest in voiding the warranty on the inverter pretty much killed that. I think it does run somewhere around 300vdc though.
I always thought the inverters are slick, They seem to care not a lick (within a few hundred volts) what the DC side looks like, yet the ac side is clean as could be and synced with the utility

This is just a small fraction, maybe 1/8 give or take, of a solar plant about 40 miles down the road. Not sure if they're actually on the grid yet. A fair amount of construction appears still taking place.

View attachment 961964

Did a bit more digging on this. This particular site is one of about 16 in a big project expected to produce 150MW DC.

The picture above is part of an 87-acre array to produce 15MW of the total.

Project wide output is projected 121,000 kWh annually.

Last edited:
The usual issue with solar though is the lack of regular output. I've seen a few creative energy storing solutions though. One was basically a fright train on a man-made ramp. The excess power in the grid was used to winch the thing up to the top, and at night it would move back down the slope, spinning the motor as a generator instead. There are also systems involving water pumps that work on basically the same principal. I'm sort of curious what the efficiency of those systems are. It has to be pretty lossy.

Back
Top Bottom