Solder Advice Needed for Grado Headphones...

DirtyCzech

I'd Buy THAT For A Dollar
Hi Guys,

I have a pair of Grado SR60 headphones with a short in the cable very close to the 1/8" adapter. They're out of warranty and the short is the result of me stepping on them by accident.

Has anybody tried reterminating a pair of headphones? I have very VERY minor solder experience so I was wondering if reterminating a headphone cable like this is a task a novice like myself could handle? Could I reuse the original adapter or will I need to buy a new one?

I use these headphones only with my ipod and at work, so I wouldn't mind even chopping off a foot or two of the bulky cable that is longer than I need it for.

Thanks for any advice.

Chris

a lot of times the wire used in headphones is very small and only insulated by a coat of varnish, to solder this you need to clean off the varnish, i usually pass it thru a flame very quickly, otherwise it will just burn up the wire completely, use a low wattage soldering iron and very little solder.

This will be great soldering practice. If you want just reuse the original plug and make sure the wires go to the right spots. It should be relatively easy. :thmbsp:

This will be great soldering practice. If you want just reuse the original plug and make sure the wires go to the right spots. It should be relatively easy. :thmbsp:

The original plug is molded, at least it is if the 60's are anything like my 80's....

Cool... thanks for the advice. I'll head up to Radioshack this weekend to pick up a soldering kit and give it a try first on some of the slack cable I'm going to chop off.

Back
Top Bottom