Solder Station needed

disisme

Reading through Echowars DIY for suggested soldering Stations, Weller WLC100 , Hakko 936, Weller WP25 as well as StevenTates Hakko 888D.
I had just purchased a new from The Source adjustable solder iron ( not a station ) and it doesn't want to let me tin the tip for anything but does work although the tip just goes black even between cleaning wipes. So thought I'd look into some good equipment without breaking the bank.

I have found the Hakko 936 for a mere $23.62 Can $ http://www.lightinthebox.com/hakko9...lIbAlqrzRWhRV4s51nBPePUlW0_O8qgLUcaAo678P8HAQ which to me this ships from Japan or somewhere over that away.

I found the Hakko 888D for $145 Can$ https://solarbotics.com/product/441...OvQvInHn_qxn5YUDeMRXWct49IVWVoHUH4aAoQ18P8HAQ

Found the Weller WLC100 for $83.96 Can $ https://www.amazon.ca/Weller-WLC100...&qid=1489339445&sr=8-1&keywords=Weller+WLC100

These are just a couple of the suggested irons.me curious as to why so cheap other than the fact that its a on sale.

You guys got some pros and cons on what you's use, suggestions?
Thanks
Lynn

Last edited:
One of the things to remember is that most Hakko equipment sold is Chinese fake unless you are dealing with a known,reputable Hakko dealer.When I went looking for a replacement for my Weller WTCPT station,the Hakko FX888D was suggested repeatedly.As I began investigating this product,it became very apparent that the knockoffs are almost indistinguishable from the real ones,except where performance and reliability are concerned.I purchased mine from these guys,and it has been a vast upgrade in terms of operating convenience and performance.And it has been trouble free since I began using it (often far in excess of 8hrs per day) in Oct. 2015.:)

Seems to be on sale now..
http://pagesuite.active123.com/launch.aspx?eid=9d373728-d054-49d7-bae8-4496dd98013b

Been using a WES51 for a few years now. had a digital, but wasn't worth the extra $$. Best investment i've made in a long time. Bit more money but well worth it even for this cheapskate.

Buy an older used Metcal off of ebay. They dont get much better than that. Induction heating with a very slim hand piece. Lots of tip styles, sometimes you can get an assortment cheap.

BillWojo

I have a metcal sp-200, got it for 80 bucks or so used. It works fairly well but is a little anemic (slow to heat and has trouble with difficult joints like filter cap grounds) and I miss having adjustable temp. If and when it breaks I'll probably buy a hakko. Something adjustable temp and 50+ watts. The better metcals are awsome but I strongly prefer having adjustable temp. You can get different temp tips for the metcals but meh, I'd rather push a button. The tips for both metcal and hakko last much longer than all the wellers I've used, particularly if you maintain them and don't run them super hot.

Just looked, mine is a PS2E-01, the big tall square black unit. Comes to full heat in well less than 10 second's and has plenty of power. The sp-200 is there small unit, I would just upgrade to one of there bigger ones.
After using the small hand piece I don't like using my Weller when out on a service call. If I know I'm going to be soldering, I usually just take my Metcal along.

BillWojo

I've used those for production work, they are awsome. I wonder what they go for used. Id still rather have a hakko FM-202. But those aren't free either.

I am very very picky on soldering iron, I have 3 and my suggestion is Weller. But the one you linked is too weak, you need a 60W soldering iron or higher. 40W is not enough. I would not buy those cheap made in China stuffs. I would not look at the Hakko. From the link, looks like the it uses the same solder tip of my Aoyue solder station with fume absorber. It is a very inferior design. The design a heater element inside a ceramic rod. The rod stick into the solder tip to heat the soldering tip. Heat transfer is too slow, if you solder on ground plane or bigger wires, heat does not replenish fast enough no matter what size tip you use. I paid $185 for my station with full complement of tips from big to small, it's it the most useless soldering iron I have.

Watch out those Hakko, Aoyue and some other brands, some models looks like they are exactly the same with different name on it. Those are the China cheap stuffs. This is the one I have, any station use the same type of tips, stay away:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009Q5ZH58/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weller-WTCP...907579?hash=item2115dfc63b:g:IOgAAOSwXYtYw1rx
I would recommend this one except I can't find on amazon. This is a primitive iron that has been around for decades......and for very good reason. It works and works. It's pretty much the industry standard for decades until surface mount components take over the industry. Then Metcal ( which I have) become the standard.

No only the temperature problem I described above, the metal composition of those tips has problem. The tips do not melt solder as easily as the ones on Weller and Metcal, it's almost like there is a tin layer of oxide form on the tip that insulate the heat. When I tin the tip, the Weller and Metcal melt the solder instantly on touching, not the Aoyue type of tips.

I go cheap on a lot of things, not the soldering iron. It is so important whether you get a good solder joint, not burning the component and speed.

For reference, read this thread on what I posted in detail:http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....r-electric-vacuum-de-soldering-sucker.755788/

I am very very picky on soldering iron, I have 3 and my suggestion is Weller. But the one you linked is too weak, you need a 60W soldering iron or higher. 40W is not enough. I would not buy those cheap made in China stuffs. I would not look at the Hakko. From the link, looks like the it uses the same solder tip of my Aoyue solder station with fume absorber. It is a very inferior design. The design a heater element inside a ceramic rod. The rod stick into the solder tip to heat the soldering tip. Heat transfer is too slow, if you solder on ground plane or bigger wires, heat does not replenish fast enough no matter what size tip you use. I paid $185 for my station with full complement of tips from big to small, it's it the most useless soldering iron I have.

Watch out those Hakko, Aoyue and some other brands, some models looks like they are exactly the same with different name on it. Those are the China cheap stuffs. This is the one I have, any station use the same type of tips, stay away:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009Q5ZH58/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weller-WTCP...907579?hash=item2115dfc63b:g:IOgAAOSwXYtYw1rx
I would recommend this one except I can't find on amazon. This is a primitive iron that has been around for decades......and for very good reason. It works and works. It's pretty much the industry standard for decades until surface mount components take over the industry. Then Metcal ( which I have) become the standard.

No only the temperature problem I described above, the metal composition of those tips has problem. The tips do not melt solder as easily as the ones on Weller and Metcal, it's almost like there is a tin layer of oxide form on the tip that insulate the heat. When I tin the tip, the Weller and Metcal melt the solder instantly on touching, not the Aoyue type of tips.

I go cheap on a lot of things, not the soldering iron. It is so important whether you get a good solder joint, not burning the component and speed.

For reference, read this thread on what I posted in detail:http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....r-electric-vacuum-de-soldering-sucker.755788/
This is the one I have on order https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00NF2Q8N8/ref=pe_386430_126088100_TE_item
These are the specs 70 Watts and they list clearly showing temp range from 50 - 480 C. Are you saying it is no good?
Product Information
Technical Details
Part Number FX888D-29BY/P
Item Weight 2.1 Kg
Product Dimensions 2.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 cm
Item model number FX888D-29BY/P
Color Blue And Yellow
Voltage 120 volts
Wattage 70 watts
Item Package Quantity 1
Number of Pieces 5
Temperature Range 50° - 480°C °C
Cord Length 3.90 inches
Usage Soldering
Included Components FX-8801 Soldering Iron, T18-D16 Soldering Iron Tip, A1559 Cleaning Sponge, A1561 Tip Cleaning Wire, Instuction Manual
Batteries Included? No
Batteries Required? No
Weight 2.1 kilograms
Length 25 millimeters
Width 25 millimeters
Height 25 millimeters

Thanks
Lynn

I looked at your tips, looks like it's the same as my Aoyue. I provided you the link to my iron that I know it's the same model under different names. You better double verify. If the solder tip is the same, then I would say it's not good as explained about the heater element is inside the ceramic rod that stick into the solder tip. Heat transfer is not that good. If it is not the same type of tip, then I have no comment as I don't know.

But if you read my comment on the other thread, I did a lot of soldering in my career, not a weekend warrior. Soldering iron to me is like swordman's sword, guitarist's guitar. I have no time for imperfection. Maybe you would not have problem. Since you ordered, maybe you should try it. Problem is yours is so expensive. For $200, you can get a lot of soldering iron. Don't go for fancy feature, I would trust the industry standard like Weller or Metcal. Forget all the digital, temperature adjust, My stone aged Weller change temperature by changing tips, Metcal has to change tips............But there is a very very strong reason why companies only use these two brands. They work.

Too bad the Weller I have is not available on Amazon anymore, I bought it a few years ago on Amazon to replace a very similar model that I had for 30 years. It's all my fault I broke the last one as described in the last thread. If not for that, I'd be still using it. I like mine that is 60W. I looked on Amazon, I don't know why all the light blue color solder stations are only 50W. If you are good at solder, you'll appreciate how a hot iron can make you life so much easier and get things done fast.

For you budget, get the pro equipment, for $200 or so, you can even get into a used Metcal on ebay. You might even consider holding onto the Hakko and order a pro iron, compare and return the one you don't like.

Last edited:
The only problem with hakko is the counterfeits. I use a hakko almost every day at work. Aoyue is a hakko knock off that does not claim to be a hakko and is certainly not a hakko, I've used one it sucks. The temp being controlled by changing tips is so that production workers can't change the temp if engineering wants to keep the temp under some some critical point. 70 watts is fine unless you want to solder grounds onto the chassis. Personally I don't think the weller irons I've used were near as good, particularly the tips. They do work though.

I bought my Hakko 888D off of Amazon and it has been fantastic. I don't know about knockoffs or if it's likely you would get one off of Amazon. My guess is you would get the real deal, and IMO it is a great soldering station.

Thanks guys for the input , Alan0354 so I guess what your saying is the Hakko 888D is fine as long as its not a knock off.

Thanks guys I went ahead and ordered the Hakko FX-888D.

You won't regret it. One of the best irons I've ever used. Got mine in 2013. The original tip is still going strong.

I bought the previous generation of their desoldering gun. Another amazing tool. I had an Ungar desoldering station that I spent more time cleaning than using.

I've had Wellers and Ungars. Metcal would be my choice if money was no object, but the Hakko price/perfomance ratio IMHO cannot be beat.

Thanks guys for the input , Alan0354 so I guess what your saying is the Hakko 888D is fine as long as its not a knock off.
I am not saying anything, I just share my opinion on the design of the tip, how the heater element is inside the ceramic rod and heat transfer is not good. Aoyue might be a knock off, but if design is the same, the problem might follow over.

I can't even recommend the digital Weller as I have not use them. I can only put my name on the one I gave the link on ebay. Inside, the heater coil literally wraps around the solder tip, very good heat transfer. As I said, I own the Metcal with whole assortment of tips, If I work only on audio amp, I will take my antique Weller WTCP any time of the day over the Metcal. Metcal is good for SMD, the iron is as thin as a pen. Metcal took over in the industry because it can give high power in such a small iron.

Ha ha!!! Maybe I am over talk on this, if you saw the picture of my work room, I have 3 soldering irons......and I absolutely use all of them. I use SMD parts as much as possible even in amplifiers, two soldering irons is absolutely minimum for me. The Weller has a wide tip for soldering 12 gauge cables and ground plane soldering. I have to try to use the Aoyue as much as possible because it has fume sucker, I am very allergic to the fumes. But the desoldering gun of the Aoyue is "A OK". I like it.

This is the one I have on order https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00NF2Q8N8/ref=pe_386430_126088100_TE_item
These are the specs 70 Watts and they list clearly showing temp range from 50 - 480 C. Are you saying it is no good?
Product Information
Technical Details
Part Number FX888D-29BY/P
Item Weight 2.1 Kg
Product Dimensions 2.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 cm
Item model number FX888D-29BY/P
Color Blue And Yellow
Voltage 120 volts
Wattage 70 watts
Item Package Quantity 1
Number of Pieces 5
Temperature Range 50° - 480°C °C
Cord Length 3.90 inches
Usage Soldering
Included Components FX-8801 Soldering Iron, T18-D16 Soldering Iron Tip, A1559 Cleaning Sponge, A1561 Tip Cleaning Wire, Instuction Manual
Batteries Included? No
Batteries Required? No
Weight 2.1 kilograms
Length 25 millimeters
Width 25 millimeters
Height 25 millimeters

Thanks
Lynn
I got mine on an Audiokarma group buy through B&D Enterprises. It was a fraction of the price of the American Hakko you linked.

Had a few cheapie soldering irons then I got a real one, a Hakko 936 the predecessor to the 888, never looked back.

Back
Top Bottom