Soldering one's person

Board is being 2nd stuffed after the Contact Systems Inc, CS400 thru hole parts insertion. 20 parts tacked to the PCB. Majority of board is surface mount parts. Then masked before Flow Solder. Had to get the done as quick as possible.

nedseg I would believe that about flying leads. Have been hit a lot of times by other assemblers who would speed thru a board, after board. I would like to put my cut leads in one spot, then dump them later into the can. She would have to clean up her bench and sweep under the bench. The leads would be everywhere. But she got the boards done quicker, but not by much. At least I didn't have to spend a lot of time cleaning up. Never had that happen with a monitor. Bet that woke people up.

This was over 20 years ago but I vividly remember holding the hot soldering iron in my right hand and reaching up for something with the left. Managed to lay the iron across the back of my left arm when I lowered it.

Been more careful since!.

Here's my worst burn. I was in eighth grade building an AM radio transmitter for a science fair. We didn't have any soldering iron stands in school. So I had to simply lay the iron down on the table each time. Well, I wasn't paying enough attention to the iron and grabbed it hard, right into my palm !! You can't imagine the pain that caused !! But I was so embarrassed, luckily no one saw it happen. I ran to the water fountain to cool it down but I had nice, fat blisters on my hand for a week. I haven't done that since.

Not a soldering iron, but when I was 8, I grabbed a copper pipe my father just soldered while I was just around the corner, I know your pain!
Edit:
I just remembered another one... the muffler and water pipe extension fell off my go-kart and I didn't think it would still be hot when I went back for it, boy was I wrong!

Last edited:
My worst burn was either when I rested my forearm on the muffler on a riding lawnmower that was running. I was about 12 when that happened. Left a nice 1.5" triangle shaped scar that lasted for years. Or when I bumped my hand into the grill. I've got a spot about the size of a quarter there.

I worked in a Telecom R&D lab. One of the assemblers at our facility got her leg tangled in the power cord of a solder pot (full of molten solder) Burned the crap out her leg. :yikes:

You guys are a bunch of pikers!
You haven't seen anything 'til you've experienced a paraplegic with a mig welder in his hand!
There's nothing quite like the smell of burning flesh augmented by that enigmatic odor of latex tubing and urine as a hot steel ball burns through it! Eau de Hoboken.
Putting the mask up to discover your leg is on fire is also special!:)

They don't call me Numb Nuts for no reason!

Last edited:
High school shop class the teacher thought I should try my hand at a cutting torch. A blob of molten steel dropped from my test piece into my work boot. Luckily there was a bucket of water next to me that I quickly shoved my whole foot into. Man that stung.

When I started as a welder the shop had ordered my uniforms but they hadn't been delivered yet. I wore an old pair of jeans, kind of ragged at the cuff. You know what happened next!

Back
Top Bottom