Soldering starter kit -- any thoughts?

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Starquest, Feb 6, 2018.

1. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

you'll want some desoldering braid as well as a sucker. Sometimes one works and one doesn't.

The suckers I use are labeled "soldapullt" curious if the one you listed works better or worse.

Also get the Hakko tip cleaner scrunchie thing. It's way better than a wet sponge.

Champco likes this.
  2. NAD80

NAD80 Super Member

Those soldapullt DS-017 's are great. Been using them for 35 years. Will last for years by replacing the tips. Had the old one from work non ESD. Got extra tips. Use GC Electronics Z9 thermal paste. Solder wick is invaluable when it's the only way to remove solder from a PCB connection of a transistor or triac.

3. arts

arts Super Member

I hear that! I bought the 5 oz tube when I built this in high school.I still have that tube AND the magazine; fried the amp years ago:biggrin:

[​IMG]

Steven Tate likes this.
  4. HypnoToad

HypnoToad Ms Puss Puss Subscriber

As to the chisel tip that comes with the Hakko, I have other tips for my Hakko 936 but 99.99% of my soldering is done with the chisel tip and I have done thousands of joints with mine.

5. Sriskie

Sriskie AK Subscriber Subscriber

6. Champco

Champco Super Member

Have only used solderwic product. may be a brand name but wicking with the braid is all i have ever needed.

7. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

@Starquest I am a fan of the Soldapult suckers in the above link. They tend to resist clogging up but are easy enough to clear.

8. arts

arts Super Member

That's the thing with braid,you have to buy a top quality brand-name.Soder-Wick & Chem-Wik. Anything else is just an exercise in frustration!

9. Champco

Champco Super Member

Yea the solder wic is embedded with a chemical. i think is probably a flux. I use it real sparingly and it's a shiny silver before i cut it off. Good to know you have tested other stuff. I wont waste my time.