Soliciting opinions on replacement amp

CortR

As many of you know a fire deprived me of my gear. Both my AU717 and 8080 got cremated alive. I see Gordon has an 8080, but though price is very reasonable, I just can't budget it right now. Have a line on both a 5000A and a 771 for truly cheap. Both operational but will undoubtedly need to be recapped. I know the specs on both and it's adequate power for now. I have no experience with either and am looking for guidance. Any insights? I'm probably going to have to live with it awhile.

Well, I have a 5000X and an 881. The 5000X has pre/out power/in jumpers. Don't know about the 5000a. The 771 is similar to an 8080 as far as circuit topology. I would pick the 771 myself. ;)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about losing those amps in the fire but the main thing is that you're ok.

Given the choices you mentioned, I'd choose the 8080. Its the newest of the models as well as the most powerful. The 5000A had a recall in its early days due to problems with the F-1040 circuit board. 771 is ok, but if it needs to be recapped and you have a shop do it for you, you will have to pay extra, thus why not put that money toward the 8080 if its in good working order?

There is a G-7500 on Ebay now that is very nice, and the seller happens to live nearby to me. He is offering it with a Buy it Now option though the price is a bit high. I already have a G-5500 (60W, made 1979) in great condition, so in case you might be interested, let me know, as I might consider selling the G-5500 and use the $ from the sale to offset the cost of buying the G-7500 with BIN. If I did sell the G-5500, I would have a store nearby pack it professionally which would cost more, but I prefer to have it packed properly by them and thus make sure it arrives to the buyer safe & secure.

I also have a very nice Pioneer SA-7500 integrated (40W, made 1976) that I'm just not able to put to much use with all the other hi fi equipment I have.

B/F

Thanks for the response, guys. Upon mature reflection (Yeah, right, as if I'll ever attain maturity in spite of my years. I'll try to nurture the inner adult, but no promises), I think I'll take your good counsel, Fred. The guy with the 8080 says he'll hold it for me a couple of weeks and it's in darn good condition. it's an amp I know and love. Still might pick up the 771 since it's only $25. PM'd you Fred about the Pioneer. Thanks to all the help here at AK I'll be back in the music by 3-8. Can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom