Solid State and Tube Listener Challenge

Mine does too, Jim. It's the only amp I've seen(now that I pulled the specs) that more than triples its output when bridged. I guess the Class A design really helps there?

I wish I could participate. Sounds like you are setting up a really nice listening test. At least we get to participate vicariously. Looking forward to the results!

This is gonna be interesting, to say the least. Dave has some seriously nice amps, and trying to distinguish some of his tube amps from solid state is gonna be a real chore, let alone tryin to guess exactly what amp it is he has playing. Hmm, maybe a few side bets are in order. lol

If this thread isn't seeing any posts from the TOL folks, would it be any trouble for the mods to move it into General Discussion or SS, Eric?

This is one of the controlled experiments I knew I could do, but it seems there is a decided lack of interest/involvement here.

This is gonna be interesting, to say the least. Dave has some seriously nice amps, and trying to distinguish some of his tube amps from solid state is gonna be a real chore, let alone tryin to guess exactly what amp it is he has playing. Hmm, maybe a few side bets are in order. lol

IMO, one should focus on merely trying to determine same/different before trying to factor specifics of which amp is which.

I've done this sort of thing before and simplicity is key to pulling it off well. If it's needlessly complex (trying to ascertain too many variables, or trying to compare too much gear), it's easy for the controlled methodology to break down trying to get through the agenda to satisfy everyone's curiosity.

I have created the spreadsheet, and it has three sections. They are:
Which amp is better? A/B
A)Tube _ Solid State _ Comments _____
B)Tube _ Solid State _ Comments _____

We will be following the KISS principle throughout. :thmbsp:

Your test, but if you're going to ask those questions I might be inclined to ask "Which do you prefer?" instead of which is better.

Will there always be one tube and one SS amp in each test or could there be two tube amps or two SS amps?

Also, and it's certainly just my opinion, is that a same vs different method might be the way to go, along the lines of an ABX test.

Thanks to Sheltie Dave for extending the invite to me! I don't know how this could be of interest to the results of the test, but I have actually never heard a tube set-up before...so I'll be bringing those virgin ears to the gathering. Can't wait.

Sorry Sheltie Dave, I won't be able to attend, thanks just the same for the invite - and good luck with your comparisons!!

Regards,
Scott

PMs are out with directions and contact info.

Well, it looks like we will break twenty folks, which will be a goodly number for our 1957 ranch house. I have been putting many of the amps through their paces, excepting the Levinson and Carl's Sonic Impact.

I'm hoping it will be both interesting and eye opening for many of the less jaded people attending. After doing a lot of core soil sampling for all of this week, my arms are telling me we won't be moving the big amps around much at all after they are set up in the back room....but that's no problem, there still will be other stuff to drive the satellite systems. :thmbsp:

We are looking forward to this one. :yes:

Due to a last minute replacement, the SET monoblocs went up against a Trends amp with a TRex power supply. The music lineup was the Eagles "New Kid in Town," and Frank Sinatra singing "Fly Me to the Moon."

In a unanimous vote, the winner was declared - the Trends amplifier, in a predicted upset.

Due to a last minute replacement, the SET monoblocs went up against a Trends amp with a TRex power supply. The music lineup was the Eagles "New Kid in Town," and Frank Sinatra singing "Fly Me to the Moon."

In a unanimous vote, the winner was declared - the Trends amplifier, in a predicted upset.

Synopsis of listener comments?

Not quite unanimous...I liked the SET sound over the T-class micro amp.

Considering I'm a newbie to the tube world, I found it a bit surprising that I was able to easily pick out the tube amp every time, and that I preferred it over the solid state in each test. The K-horns are certainly revealing!

Last edited:
It was an interesting and fun day. With the expected rain/sleet looming, we did not set anything up outdoors, so we ended up with standing room only in the main listening area. With the back bedroom turned into the "workshop of the telescopes," we also didn't have the small overflow room I had anticipated, but no one seemed to be bothered at all with the tighter than expected quarters. In all, we had twenty three people make it through the doors, and there was quite a bit to see.

The testing involved the following musical selections that were chosen by attendees for the most part, representing some of the short revealing pieces in our library.
Eagles- New Kid in Town
Sinatra- Fly Me to the Moon
kd Lang- Constant Craving
D Brubeck- Take Five
Prokofiev Telarc- Arise, People of Russia
G Winston- Thanksgiving
Steely Dan- Peg
Beethoven Telarc- Moonlight Sonata
J Taylor- Fire and Rain
C Adderly- Autumn Leaves
Police- Walking on the Moon
P Glass- Open the Kingdom

In an effort to save peoples' ears, we started the demo off at a low volume - probably too low. The JFL Horus based monobloc SET amps presented well, but probably were held back by the lower than needed volume and the presence of Sovtec 2A3 output tubes, rather than a good set of vintage tubes. The Trends had no problem navigating at the same volume, as listeners noted the better treble extension and a fuller bass presence.

Between songs, Melvin presented an historical view of the evolution of the KHorn from its early years into the stereo setup of the early 60s. As the day progressed, people took every opportunity to talk - to the point where my wife was able to take a nap upstairs, since there was a lack of the normal raucus and din from the normal headbanging that happens at gatherings.:D

Since there is a huge difference in price points between the two amps, I guess I should be disappointed, but in reality the combination of the shootout design, the brief listening window, and the actual performance judging - hats off to the Trends! (BTW Sam, even off axis, I thought the differing strengths made this one a tie.)

In David's photo I pulled, the Trends is on the HeyWake arch table with the Audio Research, the SET monos are on the top of the rear rack.

IMG_2040.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to thank all who came and made this a fun time. As usual, being the host meant I also had very little time to sit and enjoy, but when it is a multiple listening rather than a static event, time disappears. A big "thanks" shout out to Mark(BattRadio) for bringing some significant iron, tube caddies, and a Hickok 539 for testing tubes, and diagnosing a couple weak tubes on a Scott 299D of mine.

Here is another stolen photo of the kitchen table with too many goodies.:ntwrthy: A pair of organ amps, Fisher 800C, and HK 665 integrated that Mark brought... oops, forgot the Maggie on the far side.

IMG_2042.jpg

I wasn't there to hear the SET, but I think I heard everything else, and my favorite was those big tube monos in the photo above...I liked them better than the Marantz 8b!

Since there is a huge difference in price points between the two amps, I guess I should be disappointed, but in reality the combination of the shootout design, the brief listening window, and the actual performance judging - hats off to the Trends! (BTW Sam, even off axis, I thought the differing strengths made this one a tie.)

In David's photo I pulled, the Trends is on the HeyWake arch table with the Audio Research, the SET monos are on the top of the rear rack.

IMG_2040.jpg

I was quite impressed by the Trends, the big difference was that the solid state (and all of the solid state amps) sounded a bit "shrill" to me on the horns. Within a few notes I could pick out the SS amp every time. At home I get away with my KR-9400 as (I think) the Imperial 8 cone tweeters and mids are a bit less revealing than the K-horn mids and JBL tweeters you're running.

I wasn't there to hear the SET, but I think I heard everything else, and my favorite was those big tube monos in the photo above...I liked them better than the Marantz 8b!

As much as I loved the 8B, which was a complete revelation (hats off to Saul!), Mark's monster monoblocks were nothing short of breathtaking. :music:

The second round featured the Monarchy Audio SM 70 Pro against the Marantz 8B. With the jazz, light pop, and choral classical selections, the Marantz readily pulled away from the Monarchy Audio, with its creamy smooth midrange and well balanced presentation.

For me, the Monarchy really needs to start getting wound tight to come into its own, especially with rock. It presents a little more scrappy soundstage, with a little bite at both ends of the spectrum, whilst the Marantz is just so balanced.

After two games, we have the Trends and the Marantz 8B advancing.

Sam, keep in mind with all the three rounds and the runoff, I never took the amps over 8 watts. I was spanking Mark's monoblocs along at about 30 to 35 watts - probably the reason for the burning plastic smell. They were getting a solid workout, and sounded quite tasty.

Last edited:
Sam, keep in mind with all the three rounds and the runoff, I never took the amps over 8 watts. I was spanking Mark's monoblocs along at about 30 to 35 watts - probably the reason for the burning plastic smell. They were getting a solid workout, and sounded quite tasty.

Oh, I know we were giving Mark's amps a workout, but I'd bet they'd sound damned good at 8 watts, too.

Back
Top Bottom