1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Solid State and Tube Listener Challenge

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by sheltie dave, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Hermit418

Hermit418 Active Member

I had the chance to be invited over to a dinner party. Friend of a friend deal a few years back and the fellow had a nice "den" now today we call them man caves, anyway he had several sets of speakers and some nice audio gear.

I had not heard the Bozaks you mentioned and he had a pair along with some Klipsch Belles. I expected the Klipsch to walk away with the sound. the Bozaks faired very well in presentation and also did a nice job with imaging. The Klipsch Belles did have some small advantage due to the efficiency and it might have affected the demo as he had to ride the volume control a bit when switching back and forth. It was a fun time after the otherwise 4th of July get together. It was the 4th but the dinner party wasn't just hotdogs and hamburgers it was sit-down for ribs and steak.

The test was done with a reasonable McIntosh SS set up 2105 amp I think he had a pair with the rest being Mac as well. I didn't get too excited over the gear as I have Mac before and sold off my set up to get Accuphase. I have heard some nice Mac systems but I never had any luck with the SS systems I owned and tried.The bottom line was the experience to hear a set of Bozaks that I had only heard mentioned from older friends was a treat and if I ever find a working set I will give them serious consideration based upon that one evening. The few times I had heard Bozaks in the past they were either not working at peak or were paired with less than proper gear leading to their less than stellar sound. Together with a good audio chain and the drivers/cross-overs in working order a set of Bozaks would be an excellent set of speakers to own.

Thanks for the chance to relate that experience your post and the up coming 4th just brought back that pleasant memory. He played a range of music some Phil Collins, Moody Blues and I think some early Pink Floyd. The funny thing was if you knew this fellow in the work a day world you would put him into the Classical or perhaps adult contemporary vein and not a classic rock sort of guy. He just came over as a bit to bland during the initial hour or so and interaction in business he was very direct and to the point so no tells there either. I knew him vaguely from associates in a business arena. Nice enough and polite just not to engaging in the regular everyday work arena. After visiting with him that changed and we have caught up a few times in the past 5-6 years.

Cheers
    Hermit

70'sAudio likes this.
  2. sheltie dave

sheltie dave Addicted Member

After a spell without the AR3As hooked up, we installed the Juicy Music Blueberry preamp, the Opera Consonance 211 monoblocs, and the AR 3As into the main system for a listen with five friends tomorrow.

[​IMG]

unfairlane and Hawkeye83 like this.
  3. mdross1

mdross1 Active Member

It is a lot of fun years ago participated in the same thing was able to try a couple of my favorite songs, back then the format was 45's. What I saw was one amp seemed to stand out playing rock n roll while another was better at softer music. We also realized there was so many factors that affected music reproduction, room size ,shape, decoration, solid or soft walls etc. etc. Then add in a little bit of bias tube versus transistor or brand loyality it all adds up.

unfairlane likes this.