Solutions for the lack of dynamics?

1420-1503

Guys, I have a question as the result of an observation I've made.

I've been listening to mp3's and it made me thinking...

Windows Media player version 10 has a feature called "SRS WOW Effects", and is meant to put back dynamics in music that are lacked due to mp3 compression and the compression used in the studio.

While it makes for a strange and unnatural effect on some recordings, in general it gives for a surprisingly warm, lively and easy to listen to sound, making mp3 listening without the effect, sound compressed and harsch in comparison, as if it comes from a litte box.

I haven't compared them side by side, but I even suspect them to be sounding warmer and less-fatiguing then even actual cd's.

I also remember reading on the 'Pioneer' forum on this site, about a hardware component that's meant to put back dynamics in CD's or LP's that were lost as a result of compression.

There's even a tube unit I remember that's meant to be put between your source and amplifier to do the same thing, which also has the SRS WOW effect built in. (sorry I forgot the brand/model)

Now..

My question is 2 fold!!

1/ as I've never heard SACD or DVD-Audio, do these formats allow in practice to preserve more of the dynamics from the actual performance making 'enhancing devices' unnecessary?

2/are these devices really unnecessary gadgets, or should one preferably be using them to make up for the flaws of the recording formats we listen to?

Last edited:
Can't answer #1 so I'll take a whack at #2

While some of these devices can work wonders on certain recordings, most people shy away from them. I don't know anybody who has a range expander in their system.

In a perfect world (like what CDs promised 20 years ago), these gadgets would not be needed.

Its better to preserve the original performance in as much detail as possible than to second-guess it with some gizmo. Sometimes that ain't possible so its time to break out the Autocorrelator or dbx expander. Can't vouch for the WMP fx.

I notice no lack of dynamics, you need different speakers and more wattage ;)

I use winamp and in all my years of Mp3 usage I find I like the EQ "on" in winamp and use the "rock" preset. Tried many of the other presets and the winamp EQ off and I like the above the best by far.

Have tried many of the plug ins and such but all of the sound ones worked on some songs and acted screwy on others. EQ on and preset rock works on all of the flawlessly in my experience.

DL winamp and try for yourself ;)

THOR said:
I notice no lack of dynamics, you need different speakers and more wattage ;)

I use winamp and in all my years of Mp3 usage I find I like the EQ "on" in winamp and use the "rock" preset. Tried many of the other presets and the winamp EQ off and I like the above the best by far.

Have tried many of the plug ins and such but all of the sound ones worked on some songs and acted screwy on others. EQ on and preset rock works on all of the flawlessly in my experience.

DL winamp and try for yourself ;)

Hi Thor, perhaps should I invite you :beerchug: and listen to some great music, and you'll realise my speakers and amp are fine, and don't need no EQ fix.
I feel like the weakest link always is the source, the recording and medium.
I believe my amp/speakers do sound as good as the source allow them to be, which also means they won't make bad recordings or mp3's sound better.

It's a fact music get compressed to fit in cd's, which also affect mp3's as they're mostly ripped from them. Not only this, but drum tracks often get over compressed aswell which don't allow the 'kick drum' and 'snare drum' to breath.
There's a local chamber music hall in my hometown where I've recorded some music, aswell as attended many concerts. Playing these cd's (which are recorded with great a 'Soundfield' mic, these are great btw) at home I can hear very closely what they lack, thanks to the natural sound of my amp and speakers. These recordings lack dynamism and air of the actual performance. Would they be there in the recording then everything would be perfect, no need for different speakers, or amp!!!

I liked the SRS WOW Effect on most mp3's as it gave them back this 'air' and as a result they sound 'warmer' and more 'real', as ironic that may sound.
I set the wow effect at 50% and tru bass I set at 1 or 2% max. (I don't need bass enhancers on my system ;) )

I was just wondering about SACD and DVD-Audio.
I already invested in a Thorens turntable, which needs to be set up and cartidge replaced.

Regards

Last edited:
gonzothegreat said:
Can't answer #1 so I'll take a whack at #2

While some of these devices can work wonders on certain recordings, most people shy away from them. I don't know anybody who has a range expander in their system.

In a perfect world (like what CDs promised 20 years ago), these gadgets would not be needed.

Its better to preserve the original performance in as much detail as possible than to second-guess it with some gizmo. Sometimes that ain't possible so its time to break out the Autocorrelator or dbx expander. Can't vouch for the WMP fx.

Thanks Gonzo The Great for your response, and I agrea with you 100%. I'm curious now for Vinyl and the new hi-rez digital players.

Back
Top Bottom