Solved! Denon DCD-1500 II disc not reading

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by OscarEmmy, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Splatter Pak

Splatter Pak High-End Scrounger

I have a DCD-3300 (1987) with the same exact problems as reported in this thread. I've got the top cover off, so I'm going to investigate the clamp ring. I think it sounds great, btw.

EDIT: I figured out how to get the stabilizer arm off, and then saw the fiber ring. It was quite thin, and covered by what looked like compacted soot. I can only guess that it came off CD labels. Thirty years of accumulation! I scraped most of it off with a fingernail, cleaned up the rest with a semi-stiff brush, and got what had scattered around with brush and vacuum. While the arm was off, I cleaned and lubed the laser rails and the loading mechanism. It loads and unloads better, there are NO skips, and it still sounds great.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  2. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Hey Splatter, I too, think mine sounds great. However, I was told by a certain member here, whose name is a type of necrotrophic fungus, that these cd players sound brittle and shrill, and have been eclipsed by newer tech.

Aren't people funny? Enjoy the recently repaired cd player, Splatter Pak. I know my Denon 1500 II won't be leaving anytime soon.

Ds2000 likes this.
  3. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Oh, and for the record, I bought a thin sheet of felt material and cut my own felt pad to size. Glued in place, and working just great.

All respect to LoTR, but I find these to sound rich, build quality is robust, and sounds absolutely amazing going thru my McIntosh XRT20's.

4. Splatter Pak

Splatter Pak High-End Scrounger

He must have his Denon mated to the wrong cable/amp/speaker/ear. YMMV, as they say.

onwardjames likes this.