Some crazy (and creative) engine swaps

I remember when one of the Auto magazines did an article where Ford put a V-10 into a Mustang. They got it to work and it ran like a bat out of hell. At the end of the article they said the car would never be produced and was destined for the crusher :(

Now if I had the resources I'd have a Ford Coyote engine installed into a 1972 Cougar XR7, my second car. That would be a total stealth Q-ship.

I'm going to post twice! Imagine tooling down the road in your average hot-rod and a car blows past you in near silence, so fast you're not sure what it was. You try to keep up but it just keeps pulling away. Folks it's real. There's an outfit that did an electric conversion on a '68 Mustang. 0-60-MPH in 1.8 seconds, top speed of 174 MPH, 10.24 sec in the quarter mile. If I had a later model Mustang and $125K to spare, I'd have one of my own.1968-ford-mustang-zombie-222.jpg

Around 40 years ago, I installed a very healthy 327 small block into the rear seat of a `66 Corvair….the combination of 2600 pounds, and 400 HP proved to be quite entertaining. Maybe the most fun was the puzzled look on the faces of gas station attendants when I asked them "Please check the oil".... :)

MaxxVolume when I lived in Winnipeg in the early seventies there was a chev v8 powered volkswagon stationwagon that cruzed the streets terrorizing unsuspecting muscle cars.I myself was getting ready to put a 340 dodge in a 64 Chevelle until my family moved to Ontario and ruined that dream.

MaxxVolume when I lived in Winnipeg in the early seventies there was a chev v8 powered volkswagon stationwagon that cruzed the streets terrorizing unsuspecting muscle cars.I myself was getting ready to put a 340 dodge in a 64 Chevelle until my family moved to Ontario and ruined that dream.

Yes, I have seen a few of those "embarrassing encounters" :)

A friend of mine had a Volvo 740 with a Ford 5.0 HO in it. Wasn't the fastest thing but it moved a heck of a lot better than a standard brick wagon. The engine fit well, but the company that did the conversion did an absolutely awful job of it. The motor mount brackets and wiring that they stuck in there could have been done better by a couple of guys with a welder and half a case of beer. He ended up selling it to someone who decided he couldn't live without it, but there were plans to pull the engine, make mount brackets that weren't so flimsy they bent when the engine was revved, and make a proper wiring harness that didn't involve electrical tape over twisted wires. It probably would have involved a welder and some beer.

Closest thing I have is an 86 Towncar with a 5.0 HO swap and better head/cam/intake setup. Same block as it came with, but its probably some 100hp better than stock. Not radical by any stretch, just in the "why bother?" category. It also has upgraded brakes and fatter sway bars so it doesn't handle like a water bed and will actually stop.

I may have told this story before but 2011etec's post reminded me of it. Back in the late 70's I had a pretty hot 69 Chevelle (L-79 327/350HP) and the only place around that you could still buy leaded premium gas was Chevron. I was there putting gas in it and noticed two cars at the next premium pump over, one was a neon pink VW wagon with dark tinted back windows filling up his VW with the good stuff, and the guy across from him with a late model Vette at the time. The Vette guy says to the VW guy,"That thing must be really fast if you have to run high test". VW guy opens up his back hatch to reveal a mid mount Mopar Hemi, and says back, "I wouldn't waste my time with the likes of you." After I picked my jaw up off the parking lot I went inside and payed for my gas while chuckling all the way.

Craziest motor swap I've ever seen was a supercharged Ford flat head V-8 stuffed into an MG Midget. Home made plumbing for the supercharger. Definitely something you won't see often, or more likely ever again.

My Mustang buddy would daily remind me that people have put V-8's into Miata's whenever the conversation would shift to my stock Miata.

filling up his VW with the good stuff,

I had one with a mild cam and dual carbs a bunch of years ago. It was cheaper per-mile to run it on premium. It would lose 3-4 mpg on regular, it pinged, and it dieseled on shut-down. Compression was the stock 7.whatever:1, but air cooling makes things run hot.

There's a few instances of the humble VW Golf Mk 1 being powered by a not so humble Ha

yabusa. Very impressive.

Minis too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom